IGNORED

Air equalizing kit

fritzman68

Al,

If you replace your fork springs with Progressive or a constant rate fork spring, you will have no need to use air in the forks. The air is just used to set the ride height of the front forks, based upon how much weight is over the front seat (including the weight of the bike).

Rick

I am looking for an Air equalization kit for my front forks, Progressive doesnt offer these kits any longer.....Does any one have any suggestions as to WHERE they are available? I have a 07 RSTD...Thanks

I haven't done it but I think you could get fittings and hose used to join air bags or shocks on pickups. Not sure who sells this stuff but I'm sure it's out there somewhere. Maybe an industrial supply business. Some place that sells pneumatic equipment. When I was working, we had all kinds of this type of stuff for air gauges and pneumatic switches etc.

Basically attach a hose from each shock to a "T" fitting with a Shreader valve. Same as used when air bags are installed on a pickup.

Al, the best fix that I could come up with is not so pretty, but works like a dream on my Venture. I got all the fittings and 5/32" nylon tubing (pic 0723) at

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Pneumatic_Components/Pneumatic_Fittings_-a-_Air_Couplings/Push-to-Connect_Pneumatic_Fittings_(Thermoplastic)

I picked up two short (1/2") hex head 8mm bolts (thread the same as the schrader valve...sorry). I drilled a 11/64 hole through the bolt and threaded 5mm x .80 .

I replaced the schrader valves on the shock top with the bolts and O rings (picked up at NAPA) and two MEL4M-M5 fittings. (pic 0720 and 0806)

I ran 5/32" tubing from the shock top through 3/8" wire loom to the inside of the flaring to a UY532 union. (pic 0678)

From the union behind the flaring I ran the 5/32" tubing inside 1/4" tubing (for protection) along the frame to the trunk.....inside the trunk I used a FS532-18 fitting that has a female 1/8" pipe thread to which I connected my pump with gauge. (pic 0805)

This lets me know that both shocks are of equal pressure all the time.

I have tried running 0 psi in the shocks but the ride with 5psi is the best, just my opinion. I tried unsuccessfully to get fittings and tubing for auto/truck air shocks that would do the job.

I hope this helps!

What is the key on the right side of your fairing for?

After reading all the posts about ignition switch failure, I decided to install a keyed bypass switch instead of using a toggle or push button switch. I felt with the key locked in the trunk there would be less chance of the bike riding off into the sunset without me.

I had already run battery power to a relay inside the flaring for the passing lamps which many members said would basically be the fix for the ignition switch failure.............but .....since I was already inside the flaring for Garmin power and had the tank off for carb work.....I decided to wire in a bypass switch also.