IGNORED

Clutch Upgrade and Starter Problems

I have been working on the PCW clutch upgrade on my 2006 RSV with 42,000 miles. I road to work, then Iron Pony after work to pick up oil filter and oil. Bike has been running great minus the slipping clutch. I honestly dont know if my clutch upgrade worked or not because after I had put everything back together I turn the key to on and before I could hit the starter button the bike fired up on its own. NEVER done that before. I decided to take the battery cables off for a few minutes. Put them back on turned the key to one and the damn thing fires on its own again. The entire time the starter motor is running. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the response and diagram. The starter motor runs non-stop in all three states. I Also have an update. My neighbor was helping me with the clutch upgrade. I have my stebel air horn mounted to what I belive is the engine ground....same spot as stock horn. I removed the setbel, and the engine ground, so I could get to the bolts on the clutch basket cover a little easier. Anyway I had just put the cover over the clutch basket and ran into the house to get a few rags in case I did not get the gasket on properly. While I was in the house my neighbor is now telling me he tried to start the bike. If the engine ground was not on would this cause a realy, or the swtich, to durn out? How do I figure out what is broken???

I am outside my comfort zone on with RSV trouble shooting.

I would think any arcing at the main fuse with everything powered down is not good. Only thing running should be clock.

I would still suspect the start switch or solenoid though.

Hopefully people more familiar with your bike will be along to help.

Gary

Do you have the repair manual? There is a diagram in there of the starting circuit. There is also a trouble shooting guide.

What has happened is something has shorted to ground, bypassing the start push button (which closes the circuit to ground).

Start at the starter relay and work your way forward. You will find it. It isn't difficult, just time consuming. Did this with a friend's 2nd Gen when he removed the cassette deck and messed up some wiring.

RR

So the neighbor turned on the key and fried the amp ? Sorry to here that..... I guess we should always remove the key when we are doing something electrical on these beasts. I got to thinking about that and I should have removed my key when I was doing my Flanders bars upgrade and probably should have removed the hot cable, I did think about it. A large expense for such a small thing to do. Once again I am sorry to hear about this. The rest of us should learn from this, $1500.00 for new amp, shoooo weeee.

Fuzzy