IGNORED

Bike Week Daytona

usedcyclesales

Well first time at bike week and I gotta say NOTHING SPECIAL. I rode over there on thursday got there 8 AM and the place was like a ghost town. I was the on the bike parked across from Froggies right down town on main street. I took off riding around for a while and nothing was going on any where. . I drove up A1A past Ormond beach and then back to down town and was able to park right across from Froggies again . Things were getting crowded but really nothing to do there but watch a bunch of hot dogs gun their bikes as they go by and they allow cars to go through there to causing a LOT of back up traffic . I went across the intercoastal and not much set up there either they were just starting to set up band stage and if you want to stop and look around at vendors it's $7 to park All the bike dealers are set up at the Race track about 5 miles out of town Yamaha , Honda etc.....Then if you want to go back down town it's crowded and ya gotta pay to park again. I've ridden over to dayton a dozen times before and i gotta tell you the economic times have hit there quite s few boarded up busines, gas stations and small motels restaurants etc. I'm sure it gets hoppin' at night but really seemed slow for for a place that usually gets a few hundred thousand people. I drove back about 2PM and maybe saw 30 bikes on the 150 mile trip riding towards Daytona. Hell in years past on my way to Orlando I'd see that many Harleys broke down on the side of the rode during bike week:rotf:. Guess I'm getting to old but it just seemed kind of BLAH!!

In 1976 I strapped a 12 pack on the back of my Hardley chopper along with sleeping bag and tarp. Rode that hard tail all the way to Daytona (I Think) Saw a lot of bikes and skin and skin. Did I say that. About a week later I realized I was in Virginia on my way home. Still had a 12 pack on the back. I don't think it was the same one.:think:

I did Daytona once. Not impressed, to many people etc.

A person should do it at least once I guess.

I don't think the local people really want the bikes there even though it's a money maker.

BOO

I really don't disagree with you. It's been a few years for me but it to be too many people, too much noise and too high prices. Some really enjoy it but it's just not for me.

Ya, it was supposed to be a must see, just like Sturgis. I'd been to Sturgis enough times over the years to know I didn't want to be there again during bike week. I am not a big fan of crowds either. But I always told folks I would go to Daytona some day, but I would ride down.

2 years ago was the year. Rode straight South, hit a VRMD in Loozeaner ( thanks Ken and Beth) and then headed to FL. Took my time, went down near Tampa first, and got to Daytona on Tuesday afternoon. Got in as far as the Speedway, checked out some vendors, had 1 beer, bought a couple T-shirts, and headed to the ABATE campground SE of Daytona a ways. Had a great time that night at the campground, ran into a guy I knew from WI, I was about the only one drinkin' beer that night. I guess 45-50 degrees is cold in FL, I thought it was great compared to what I left a few days earlier.

But, I'd already seen enough of Daytona. I did leave the next day headed back nort. I had my T-shirts, I was there, I rode from WI, and I will probably never go back again.

Like Don said, if you like that kinda thing, great. I can assure you, I won't be there for a bike week again.

But I may be down thata way in a couple weeks to visit my brother in Ocala though.

The city of Daytona Beach is not trying to attract the bikers anymore, both of the bike events that happen here each year have been in decline since 911. The economy has taken its toll and Rothmeyer moved his Harley dealership north to Ormond because a dispute with the city. A lot vendors and visitors spend time exclusivly in Ormond, I was out today and the crowds were very light and the vendors are down by probably a third from what they were 10 years ago. The motorcycle show at the Ocean Center was pitiful.

The city of Daytona Beach is not trying to attract the bikers anymore, both of the bike events that happen here each year have been in decline since 911. The economy has taken its toll and Rothmeyer moved his Harley dealership north to Ormond because a dispute with the city. A lot vendors and visitors spend time exclusivly in Ormond, I was out today and the crowds were very light and the vendors are down by probably a third from what they were 10 years ago. The motorcycle show at the Ocean Center was pitiful.

There's a 3 day bike weekend in Leesburg Florida That is far better and no cars allowed on the main strip also it's said to be the largest "RIDE IN" bike fest in Florida. Down town is about a mile long and you ride in, easy to park within a block and spend a few hours and ride out. Everthing is down town with easy access to main stage which is the courtyard of the city hall or courthouse not sure which. Also the riding in the area is great a lot of winding roads rolling country land with huge pastures because of many horse farms. It's in April. No spring breakers .

You guys in the North this is an Ideal ride in. Hotels aren't expensive it's only about 45 Minutes NW of Orlando. It's a real clean old style Florida town. Also it's before the rainy season but at night ya got those pesky Love bugs, little black flying harmless critters that stick to your windshield like crazy glue.........

There's a 3 day bike weekend in Leesburg Florida That is far better and no cars allowed on the main strip also it's said to be the largest "RIDE IN" bike fest in Florida. Down town is about a mile long and you ride in, easy to park within a block and spend a few hours and ride out. Everthing is down town with easy access to main stage which is the courtyard of the city hall or courthouse not sure which. Also the riding in the area is great a lot of winding roads rolling country land with huge pastures because of many horse farms. It's in April. No spring breakers .

You guys in the North this is an Ideal ride in. Hotels aren't expensive it's only about 45 Minutes NW of Orlando. It's a real clean old style Florida town. Also it's before the rainy season but at night ya got those pesky Love bugs, little black flying harmless critters that stick to your windshield like crazy glue.........

Yep, been to Leesburg Bikefest many times, right in the heart of some of the better riding in central Florida.

Usedcycles - Was it you that was having issues with your passing lights, I never saw any closure on that issue, did you figure it out?

I would have to say the access to Leesburg for those riding down is excellent too. If you want to run the slab down you can run I 75 and jog off around Ocala, or stay on 75 and catch the Turnpike like 1 exit. There are some of the most decent roads we have as someone mentioned around that area too. Ocala National Forrest, Weeki Watchi springs, crystal river not so much the touresty stuff.

I was going to go up tomorrow, but the friends we were going to run with dont want to spend 6hr + on the road (for them). So we are going to Solmons Castle and around that area. I really wanted to put some miles on but I'll make the best of it. I like to go over to Daytona or any deal like that. Not into the hanging out drinking thing though. I would have to say the last couple times I have been up there for bike functions (Oct also) I have went to the speedway to see the manufactures stuff Yam, Kawi, Can AM etc then buzzed up to Destination Daytona. Lots of vendors "free" parking and enough entertainment for me. I was not aware that down town or on the beach they charged to park. Figures though, they charge you to park, sell you cold beer on the street, and the police sit up the street waiting for them.

I enjoy going to Daytona for all the bikeweek stuff but I'm local and only live about 30 minutes away, so it's easy for me to get to. In recent years attendance in Daytona proper is probably down, but a lot of it has moved to Orlando and other surrounding areas. There are Harley dealers down here on practically every street corner now so that alone really spreads things out.

Last weekend me and some friends went to Daytona International Speedway and demo rode a bunch of bikes. It's a lot of fun riding brand new bikes without any sales pressure from anyone.

I also like going to Beach St and Main St. I don't care about all the drinking and partying, to me that's for later on when the bikes are parked at the end of the day. But to me it's a total gas seeing all the thousands of bikes and what people have done to their own rides. I have a beautiful Midnight Venture and an old (1988) Electra Glide Classic so I enjoy looking at all the Harleys too. It was rainy last weekend so we didn't have any problem finding free parking.

But I must say, having been to both Sturgis and Laconia in the last few years, the riding is way better in those areas. We all know what the Sturgis area has to offer and at Laconia the White Mountains are beautiful, with some world class motorcycle roads. So in those areas it's all about the ride, in Daytona it's more about the bikes and the party scene.

But down here we can ride all year too.

Ride safe!

1/2 Crazed