IGNORED

RSTD Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 change interval?

I always change the Mobil 1/filter in the spring even when it has less than my usual 3000 miles between changes. I am beginning to think that 5000 mile/once a year change intervals would be adequate. What do you think? Is anyone using a 5K change interval with a top shelf fully synthetic oil like Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40?

The way oils are made today and all the additives, to change the oil at 3000 miles is a total waste and for synthetics it is a terrible waste.

Yes I used to change my oil at 3000 miles too. but not anymore. I change at 6000 minimum and have gone to 7500 in the cars. I won't waste the time or money changing any earlier than that.

Same goes for the bike. :2cents: for what it is worth.:whistling:

Appreciate the response. I have a VW TDI (diesel) that is on 10,000 mile changes (Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck oil). That's the VW recommended change interval on the diesel. That is really what got me thinking that a 3000 oil change on the bike is ridiculous.

I go 5000 on conventional oil.

Considering the Yamaha OCI is every 4000 miles thats not much of a stretch particularly if your changing the filter every 5k too. Yamaha lets you go every other oil change (8k) on filter changes if you care to, I don't.

I'm at a 1.5 years and around 5500 miles on this last change. Going to change it based on the time. I'd go longer on just miles. Running the Rotella 5-40 T6 Synthetic. Seems to be fine. No slipping. Its JASO MA, but also CD, which Yamaha specifically says not to use. DOn't want to hijack, but I'd be curious to know why no CD rated oil. Probably a good thread for BITOG.

RSTDdog

Found 7500 change intervals with the same oil at BITOG. I am curious if synthetic oil breaks down like conventional oil (reason for the 12 month change regardless of mileage). I would tend to think that synthetic oil does not need changing every 12 months like dino oil.

Found 7500 change intervals with the same oil at BITOG. I am curious if synthetic oil breaks down like conventional oil (reason for the 12 month change regardless of mileage). I would tend to think that synthetic oil does not need changing every 12 months like dino oil.

I would change once per year minimum beause of acids that may build up in the oil, irrespective of any breakdown in lubricity. I don't have any scientific evidence or study to reinforce that thought.

The big reason for changing oil at least once a year is the moisture that is in your motors from starting up cold and then shutting down. Acid is also a reason. so No matter what you run reg oil or syn you should still change it no matter what the mileage is.

I run Amsoil for 7500 miles and change filter every time and yes I am a dealer.

Have a great day and hope this helps:080402gudl_prv:

I believe that acids are primarily a by-product of combustion and moisture and metallic wear, although the breakdown of the oil and additives may also play a part. Oils have additives to neutralize the acids. But time takes its toll.

I go 8,000-10,000 miles between oil changes in my car. But automotive engine oil contains better detergents and additives than one should use in a wet clutch motorcycle. The motorcycle engine oil (unlike a car) also circulates thru the transmission where there are gears in constant mesh in the lubricant which will cause oil breakdown.

Using Mobil 1 motorcycle oil, I do not see why the mileage could not be extended up to 10,000 safely. I never put 10K on my bike in a year and I understand the rational behind the yearly change. I am now planning/mapping out an early summer trip from MS to CO, MT, AZ, etc; the main reason I am so interested in oil change intervals is that the last time I made a trip like this, I ended up having the oil changed on the road (because it was past the 3K mark). Stupid! I feel very comfortable now in putting in new oil/filter and making a 5K trip without changing anything.