IGNORED

Removing pinstripe s & glue from body panels

dingy

How do I get the glue residue off the body panels after removing the pinstripes on a 1st gen??

I used a heat gun to soften pinstripes , then used a putty knife to remove the decal. Then thinner removed the bulk of the residue, but there is still a layer of adhesive the thinner won't touch. I can scrape it with a razor blade. I would rather not have to resort to this as I will end up nicking panels quite a bit, and time consuming.

Any ideas ???

:feedback:

Gary

Goo-B-Gone or Goof Remover?

Dingy since you used thinner, I assume you are painting the panels.

Just a footnote:

Goo Gone if you are not planning to repaint

Goof off will eat the paint.

Gary you may want to use mineral sprits or 3M has a adhesive remover that works great

http://site.innovationestore.com/images/image-310.php?id=62466749306

For for a repaint job....a 600 or 800 wet sandpaper to get the residue off without butchering the ABS.

Gary,

When I removed the pinstripes from my '83 Standard, like you I initially used a heat gun (hair dryer) and again like you, I discovered the residual adhesive was nearly impossible to remove. I used all the chemicals in my shop...everything. Nothing did a great job of removing all the adhesive. Subsequent efforts at removing the pinstripes were successful if I heated the pinstripe enough to get it started coming off and instead of continuing to apply heat to speed removal, I just kept slowly pulling on the pinstripe and it came off much more cleanly, with little residual adhesive. Finally, to clean off the adhesive I used a Pink Pearl eraser.

As an engineer, did you do manual drafting? Got an electric eraser? Works well, especially on the residue that I didn't heat.

Good luck.

PS. I even tried acetone, but it hurt the paint and didn't remove all the adhesive.

PSS. When I tried to get the pinstripe off the right side of the fairing, I discovered it was under a very thick layer of clearcoat. That complicated pinstripe removal and a deep channel was left...with adhesive in the bottom of the channel.

If I ever get up the nerve, ambition, time, and finances to align at the same time I would love to do a repaint of my bike.

I was not planning on worrying about the strips, I just figured they would come off with the paint as soon as I got out the DA sander.

If I ever get up the nerve, ambition, time, and finances to align at the same time I would love to do a repaint of my bike.

I was not planning on worrying about the strips, I just figured they would come off with the paint as soon as I got out the DA sander.

Go easy with the DA, remember it's not fiberglass it's ABS. Imperfections will be an issue. Although bondo will adhere to ABS, it will eventually flake off.

What I've done before on old Hondas is used 600 or 800 wet sandpaper to remove it if I was going to change the striping scheme. If not reduce it until it is barely visible & use it as a guide for the new stripes.

Gary,

When I removed the pinstripes from my '83 Standard, like you I initially used a heat gun (hair dryer) and again like you, I discovered the residual adhesive was nearly impossible to remove. I used all the chemicals in my shop...everything. Nothing did a great job of removing all the adhesive. Subsequent efforts at removing the pinstripes were successful if I heated the pinstripe enough to get it started coming off and instead of continuing to apply heat to speed removal, I just kept slowly pulling on the pinstripe and it came off much more cleanly, with little residual adhesive. Finally, to clean off the adhesive I used a Pink Pearl eraser.

As an engineer, did you do manual drafting? Got an electric eraser? Works well, especially on the residue that I didn't heat.

Good luck.

PS. I even tried acetone, but it hurt the paint and didn't remove all the adhesive.

PSS. When I tried to get the pinstripe off the right side of the fairing, I discovered it was under a very thick layer of clearcoat. That complicated pinstripe removal and a deep channel was left...with adhesive in the bottom of the channel.

Hard to beleive, but I do still have an electric eraser. Justification for my unwillingness to through stuff away. Had to have been 20 years since I used it.

Now to find pink pearl erasers.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary,

You can still buy Pink Pearl erasers new, but I haven't found any Pink Pearl electric eraser refills. Though I haven't tried it for pinstripe adhesive removal on my Venture, the newer white vinyl eraser core (Staedtler and others) MAY remove the adhesive when used with an electric eraser. These white vinyl erasers will remove technical pen ink (alcohol based and India) from vellum and film, maybe it will work for you. Perhaps you have some eraser refills from the old days that were intended to erase ink from acetate? Try that instead of Pink Pearl.

Ok, I have tried the electric eraser with pink pearls, succeded in wearing through adhesive, but this will take days...

Tried Lacquer thinner..doesn't touch it.

Contractor solvent (says works 100% of time on label)... water would be better

Powder coat prep...not a dent

tried duct tape...that was recommended by a friend, will wait till morning to peel off... not much hope for this.

Goo Gone....nothing

Gumout carb cleaner & goof off ....Knocked it right off!!!

Going to see what it does to paint tomorrow. I am sanding & repainting it. Both of these have xylene in them. Fairly sure this stuff has killed many lab rats.

Pictures of the spare fender I am testing stuff on. Where the stripe is removed feels good. There is some bubbling of paint in picture, that was from excessive use of heat gun.

What is the long term problem with the goof off? Will it not allow the new primer & paint to adhere?

Gary

What is the long term problem with the goof off? Will it not allow the new primer & paint to adhere?

Gary

Gary, before you shoot any primer (especially after the cocktail of removers) I would recommend that you use a good plastic cleaner to prep the ABS.

One thing I did learn well in automotive painting...Clean prep & clean again!!!

I will suggest Sherwin Williams Aqua prep. Excellent product for ABS. Well worth it to avoid getting orange peel or fish eye from all the citrus removers.