IGNORED

Motorcycle Chains & Sprockets ?

ragtop69gs

I need to replace the chain and sprockets on my daughters bike and I know nothing about either. What are some decent manufactures I can look at. Not looking for top of the line stuff just something that will hold up. Her bike is an '05 Suzuki GS500E.

I need to replace the chain and sprockets on my daughters bike and I know nothing about either. What are some decent manufactures I can look at. Not looking for top of the line stuff just something that will hold up. Her bike is an '05 Suzuki GS500E.

I have the same bike and have just replaced chain and sprockets, first time in 19,000 kilometers. I sent to the dealer that sold me the bike, a friend, and bought them from him so I got comparable product so it is not likely I will ever have to change them again.

Just me.

Just be very careful of some of the cheap junk on eBay. I learned the hard way and had to replace them again in less than 4k miles on my little Honda 250. Sorry, I don't remember the seller, but if they seem too cheap in price..... they're cheap.

I ended up buying the second set from Drive Systems in Huntington Beach, CA. Excellent quality, decent prices and good people to work with. They are local for me, but they're on the internet also.

The huge drawback to chain drives is that they require a lot of maintenance and periodic replacement. As a chain wears the links effectively get longer and that causes excess wear on the sprockets.

About the only way you can avoid sprockets is to replace chains at the first signs of stretching. Even then, the sprockets will have a bit of wear and the new chain will wear faster.

The key to infrequent replacement is to keep the chain cleaned, lubed and adjusted. An O-ring chain will be more forgiving of neglect.

Chains and sprockets from the OEM are outrageous $$. I suggest going aftermarket. You've got a pretty good aftermarket supplier in Livonia called Allied Leisure. Their phone number is eight hundred, five two one - 6848.

The EK Chains x-ring chain is a good buy with a unique master link attachment. And use the Dupont Multi-Use Teflon chain lube. I've been using it on my Triumph for the last couple of years since reading about it on the Triumph forum. Doesn't fling, protects well and does a surprisingly good job of keeping the chain clean. Do stay away from no name brand chains on ebay and also the Regina chains ... they stretch as if made from rubber.

http://www.ekchain.jp/index.html

Andy

The EK Chains x-ring chain is a good buy with a unique master link attachment. And use the Dupont Multi-Use Teflon chain lube. I've been using it on my Triumph for the last couple of years since reading about it on the Triumph forum. Doesn't fling, protects well and does a surprisingly good job of keeping the chain clean. Do stay away from no name brand chains on ebay and also the Regina chains ... they stretch as if made from rubber.

http://www.ekchain.jp/index.html

Andy

We have been using chain wax on it, spray it on the warm chain and it melts in, it doesn't fling either. Is the Teflon better ?

Edited by ragtop69gs

Hard to say. I have only been using it for a couple of years and the bike doesn't get as much use as my RSV. From what I have read on the Triumph forum, however, a number of high mileage types have stated that they have gotten better mileage from their chains since switching to this lube. We all know that Teflon is a very slippery substance and I believe this is a large part of what helps to clean the chain. And as I learned a long time ago, a clean chain will last longer than a dirty one. So...perhaps a bit more research is in order? As for me, I've tried a lot of chain lubes over the years and this one has been, hands down, the best I've ever used as far as keeping the chain clean and new looking as well as reducing the number of adjustments I've had to make as the chain "loosens" up. I know, not very scientific, but if it does the job better than the other stuff I've used, then I'm sold.

Andy

Another thing you might think about is changing to a belt drive system. A company called Scoot Works makes conversion kits with no frame mods necessary. Find them at Scoot Works.com I put one on my Vulcan 800 and it works great. The only thing I noticed was a slightly higher gearing that made a little more throttle necessary on take off. Just imagine, no more grease slinging and it is quieter. Another thing, its chrome!