IGNORED

what tires on your trike?

gunboat

hi folks

when i bought my '99 rsv motor trike in nov. 2010 it had bf goodrich

p235/60 r15's on it. i can't remember what the front tire was. but i put my old avon cobra 150/80r-16 on. squid thought since the trike had radials on the rear might as well put a radial on the front. it's now coming time to put new shoes on the trike. i have found that cooper makes a p235/60 r16 radial. and firestone makes a firehawk indy 500

p235/60 r16. i kinda like the look of the cooper cobra's. i guess i realy comes down to what i want to install. but i just thought i would ask ya'll are using on your trikes.

thanks

best reguards

don c.

The BF Goodrich must be the tire Motortrike uses at inital install. I have the same tires on my trike. It has a dunlop 421 on the front, I think. The front is in good shape but the rear are worn in the center. Probably been on since it was triked. Guess its due for new rear tires.

A friend of mine put white walled tires on his '09 RSV Hannigan trike.

==============================================

Leo

I'm using Dunlop Cruisemax rear tire for the front. It is the same size that come with the Venture. 150/90H-15

If the guys are talking about white walls for the Venture the only brand that has both front and rear white walls is Dunlop D404. These are not the soft tread tires. They are ok tires. They are not the best. I couldn't find any other manufacturer that carried both size tires. Most of them carried only one. (The front)

I used the dunlop because the tread is hard and it wear better in the heat in Texas. The soft tread tires like Metzler wear out too fast in the heat.

I used BF Goodrich Radial for the rear tires. The rim size is Custom Mag Wheels 15x7 with 4x100mm bolt pattern 39mm offset. The tire size is P185/65R 15

The links below are for the BF Goodrich Radial classic white walls and regular Dunlop D404 front and rear Whitel Walls.

I hope this help Leo.

Bernie

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/

http://www.widewhitetires.com/bfgoodrich.html

http://store02.prostores.com/servlet...85-fdsh-65R15-

BFGOODRICH-RADIAL-1/Detail

http://www.performanceplustire.com/p...hort=185/65-15

http://www.summitracing.com/search/B...ew=ProductName

__________________________________________________ _______________________

For Royal Star Venture Front and Rear White Wall Tires - See link below

http://motorcycle.motorcycle-superst...404+whitewalls

Have black walled tires on our '09 RSV Hannigan trike. Rear tires are the original OEM tires. Recently replaced the front tire.

Front is Avon Venom Am42 rear tire, 150/80B16 77H, mounted backwards.

Rears are Kumho P195/60R15 87T radials made in Vietnam, can you imagine......

Does mounting a rear tire on the front change the handling? Or just last longer?

Don't have enough experience yet. Folks on the trike forum do it all the time, and they are mainly looking for longer mileage. Will be driving 3,000 miles at the end of this month, so will know more after this trip. Trikes don't lean, so they use the center of the front tire. The center of the Avon tire is smooth with occasional slashes to divert water. There are no tracking treads, so there is no pull by cracks and defects in the road. Sense that tire may sometimes get lost without tracking treads, but this is not a big issue since trike must be steered constantly anyway. Rear tire has a 77 load rating, so the sidewalls are stiffer. The front end was very stiff when I drove home from the dealer. Installer had talked about inflating tire to 42 psi, which may be okay when two up and a trailer. Need to check what he did. Hannigan says front can be as low as 38 psi. Also have the front shocks set at 4 psi. So can also soften the front shocks. There is absolutely no head shake with our trike, just a stiff response to bumps. Will have to make adjustments before my trip. In addition to the increase in the tire load rating from 71 to 77, the tread depth went from 9/32" to 11/32" and the belt construction is better. Told the Avon Venom is not a hard tire, so jury is out on the mileage we will get. Of course, a softer tire provides better traction. Hannigan representative says I made a good choice. Time will tell.

I put a Michelin Commander II 150/80/16 on the front AND reversed the tread. I really like it so far. The rear tires are Kumho Solus SR 21 P 195/60/15 and I will never put another brand on there if I can help it. I LOVE the Kumho's.

I put a Michelin Commander II 150/80/16 on the front AND reversed the tread. I really like it so far. The rear tires are Kumho Solus SR 21 P 195/60/15 and I will never put another brand on there if I can help it. I LOVE the Kumho's.

Like the looks of that rear tire, and the price is good too. May try it next time. Hopefully, that will be a long ways off.... :)

http://www.compacc.com/p/Michelin-Commander-2-Tires-Rear

hi folks

thanks for all the info & ya'll thoughts on your tires. not to open a can of worms but i wish i could find a c/t to mount on the front. untill then i'll install the new avon cobra radial as i have been using.

reguards

don c.

Wow! No wonder our trike was giving me whiplash on the way home from the Yamaha dealer.......

Front tire pressure: 38 psi

Rear tire pressures: 47 psi

Rear tire max pressure rating: 44 psi

Hannigan Motorsports Official Policy regarding Tire Pressures (psi)

per Jim Gooch-Chief Trike Tech HMS

Front: 38-41 psi

Rear: 26-30 psi

Changed tire pressures to:

Front: 40 psi

Left rear: 28 psi

Right rear: 30 psi (to correct for crown of road)

Set front fork pressures to 3 psi.

Will go for a ride after lunch.

Crazy....... http://www.venturers.org/Forum/images/smilies/speechless-smiley-004.gif

I am presently using a Dunlop E-3 rear tire mounted backwards on the front. Unlike my D404 which hardly lasted a season, the E-3 lasted all last year and there's still plenty of meat left on them! Yes, I wish I could find a car tire as well because the front tire does not lean like a 2 wheeler any more, which is why the fronts burn out so fast. As your front tire wears, you will develop a lot more instances of front end oscillation...

well i went and bought the cooper cobra's g/t radials for the rear. i'll be installing the new avon cobra radial on the front soon. getting ready for the ride to international in N.Y. this summer. i ask the tire pro about the mfg date of the old bfg's. he told me that they were manufactured in 1999, wow the center was worn down to the bars. but the edges were still good. the bfg's were installed when the venture was converted to a trike in '99. when i bought the trike it had just over 17,000 miles on it. it now has over 23,000 miles. i'am also going to install progressive air shocks on it as well. it now has coil over shocks on it now. reguards

don c. :cool10:

well i went and bought the cooper cobra's g/t radials for the rear. i'll be installing the new avon cobra radial on the front soon. getting ready for the ride to international in N.Y. this summer. i ask the tire pro about the mfg date of the old bfg's. he told me that they were manufactured in 1999, wow the center was worn down to the bars. but the edges were still good. the bfg's were installed when the venture was converted to a trike in '99. when i bought the trike it had just over 17,000 miles on it. it now has over 23,000 miles. i'am also going to install progressive air shocks on it as well. it now has coil over shocks on it now. reguards

don c. :cool10:

Don, isn't your conversion a motortrike? If so let me know how the progressive air shocks work out. I'm not crazy about the air bag system I have now.

hi bob

i'll let you know how the air shocks work out. yep my trike is a m/t conversion. it was one of the first ( royal stars ) to be converted. it did not have the air bags installed, as this mod wasn't started until 2003. i guess the orginal owner didn't want to spend the $600.00 + to have this mod done.

reguards

don c.

I have been running the cooper cobras for the last 3 yrs on the rear. They shed water great, more sure footed then the B.F.G's were. They replaced the B.F G's that motor trike sold with the kit. My first front tire was the Michelin Macadam M50. That was a rear tire run in reverse. It lasted 42.000 miles of rough roads including 2 round trips of the Alcan highway. It did not need replacing when I did it but the tire I now have on the front is a Michelin Commander radial rear tire running in reverse rotation with a little over 25,000 miles with no signs of wear. Inflation of 40lbs made steering a little stiff for my likes, so I bumped it up to 45lbs and that solved that problem. I now am looking for new rear wheels. I hate the steel wheels motor trike supplied. I also dont like the 4 bolt pattern. I wanted to put on the old Crager SS wheels. To me they were the original "mag wheels."

:mustache: