IGNORED

need help only running on 3 cyclenders

kwisor

hello all

this has been a rough year so far i lost my truck do to bankruptcy i had a choice to keep trk or bike i chose the bike i have had runnig problems ever since. i got the fuel pump problem fixed now yesterday it started running on 3 cyclenders the lt frt is not running i cked the coils and i am getting fire to the plugs all 4. i pulled the plug in lt frt it was covered in gas i changed it and still not firing. when cold all pipes get hot but left frt what do i need to ck next it is a 1999 rsv with 62000 miles

thank you

bumble bee

1999 rsv

lexington sc

All gas engines need the same ...

They need fuel, compression and a good spark at the correct time. If they have all those then they will fire. It's not like they have a choice.

You say the plug is wet, so that suggests that gas is getting in there. Even if it were only firing some of the time, the pipe would heat up, and with gas in the cylinder, some of it should burn.

If the timing were off by that much, none of the cylinders would fire.

So it points to spark as the first thing to check. The best way is to use one of the in-line spark testers to measure the largest gap the spark will cross (6mm is the minimum for most bikes).

You can also use a timing light to see if there is any spark at all.

If there is no spark, then work backwards. Start with the plug cap (you have a new plug) and check it for the correct resistance. If the cap has gone bad then there is your problem.

Move on to the spark plug wire next. Cut 1/4 inch off each end, check that the resistance is very low (like none if the wires are copper) and refit. That may solve the problem.

Next check the primary and secondary resistances of the coil. The numbers are in the book and if you don't have the book you can easily compare the numbers you get from a coil that is known to be working. They should be the same. This is a good basic test of a coil, but not infallible. They can measure right and still not work (that happened on my wife's car).

From the other end .... The pick-up coils ... Can't tell you about the '99, I don't know how many it has. But if it is one or two, then they are okay if three cylinders are firing.

Next up ... all the connectors. Remove, clean, replace.

Finally ... swap two of the coils around. If the coil is the problem then the issue will move to the other cylinder.

If all that fails, and you did it correctly, begin to suspect the Ignition box.

If you have spark, spray some WD40 into the intake, if that clears things up temporarily then your problem is fuel and you probably got some dirt in the carb from playing around with the fuel pump.

This is an interesting statement/suggestion. Could you explain the purpose/reaction tho doing that ? Is WD40 combustible like starter fluid/carb cleaner ? What does the WD40 exactly do ? :confused24:

Edited by KIC

I understand that, I was wondering what/how the WD40 works/helps under these circumstances.

WD40 will fire quite nicely,,, kind of expensive to use as a fuel, but will fire the cylinder if the plug is working, so to let you know if the problem is fuel or ignition. Also helps in the discovery of vacuum leaks and such.

hello all

i found that the problem was fuel a sprayed wd 40 in to air intake and it cleared up must have had some dirt stuck in carb thanks for all the help also earl called me to walk me through some cks thank you is this a great site or what

bumble bee

1999 rsv

lexington sc:301: