I just bought my second kit from skydoc_17 first kit went into a friends bike.He calls me a genius because I took full credit for the upgrade.......yeah I know, its shamefull but hes not a computer person and will never meet skydoc_17. He raves about it sup much in fact that I just purchased one for my bike.Will bed going on tommorow.Directions are spot on and Earl is always willing to answer my questions or just chat for a few.

My clutch slipped about 3 times in 5 months but usually when in last gear and hammering the throttle. Just as my buddy this will stop shortly.

Thr stuff pull is just too easy to pick on so ill leave that one alone

Do they (yamaha) call it something different? What I saw in the link Cougar had was a metal friction plate and (thicker) and a thicker friction disc. Is the two pieces being thicker what causes it to have more clamp power? I didnt see any "spring" in the pictures he had posted.

:think: OK sorry guess I missed a link to an article. All I saw was the link for barrons parts and then the link for the thicker parts deal. Guess I'll go check out the parts diagram to see how it all works. I thought it was a spring and diaphram set up.

Do they (yamaha) call it something different? What I saw in the link Cougar had was a metal friction plate and (thicker) and a thicker friction disc. Is the two pieces being thicker what causes it to have more clamp power? I didnt see any "spring" in the pictures he had posted.

it doesn't look like a spring because it is a diaphram spring

The setup from skydoc gives you a full size friction disc to replace the half size one, giving you more grab area, and the thicker diaphragm spring increases the pressure. When I replaced mine I could tell the difference in how the clutch operated. It was a slightly harder pull, but was not enough to be uncomfortable.

Thats one thing I would like to be able to "bring over" from my Kawai. The clutch on that one had an adjustment of where the throw was. With this bike it is uncomfortable for me. Its hard to explain. I allways have had my finger closest to my thumb around the grip and then pull the clutch with the other three. I find it hard to do on this hyd set up. I'm trying to learn though.

So with the disk being thicker really all we are doing is reducing the distance between the disks so it "fakes" out the spring tension sort of. Kind of like what we use to do on the old posi-track rearends. We added shims under the springs to tighten them up. that way they grabbed harder, then you started breaking axles and wheels. So then you beffed up...........

There is one other thing you might want to consider. I just added another stock diaphragm spring to the clutch. It takes some getting use to, but the clutch won't slip anymore. I did this about a month ago and now I hardly notice it anymore. Skydoc17 told me I'd be able to crack walnuts with my left hand in a few weeks and I think he was right.

:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

I think somewhere in the hundred or so posts I've read about clutch "whine" changing the basket fixs the whine for some but not all. I dont know when in the basket would stop it. Looks like the basket for the most part is "suspended" by the clutches and steels. Beats me. :confused24:

So with the disk being thicker really all we are doing is reducing the distance between the disks so it "fakes" out the spring tension sort of............[/quote

The diaphragm spring in skydoc's kit is thicker than stock. It is actually increasing spring tension. The supplied friction disc is supplying more overall surface area, not thickness.