IGNORED

Tail of the Dragon trip

rickardracing

I have ridden the dragon 7 or 8 times and I must go at the exact right time because I can not remember seeing a cop on it. Not that it would matter to me because I don't ride it hard anyway. Well I did ride it pretty hard during vogel last year chasing Bubba on his first gen till my brakes went out.

When I make it back it will be on a weekday. Last ticket was near Robbinsville. 2004. Chased me from Wheelers to the foot of the hill. (several miles) Did not know they were after me and hit 120 easily several times. They started after me for passing on a double yellow. Luckily they were cool and only wrote it for 70 in a 55. Did not even put the passing on yellow.

Of course this was NC state troopers. Most of the Dragon is in Tn and they are really trying to shout it down.

PS. I sure miss that FZ1

Randy, I'll start this by saying that I'm biased in favor of the Dragon. I go at least once a year and I spend a week there every May for the annual 2 stroke bike meet. If you've never ridden the Dragon, you'll want to make 2 trial runs at slow speed...under the speed limit. 1 run each way. Then you can go through and enjoy the ride. Best times to ride on a weekend are before 9 am or after 5 pm. Fewer police. There are places to pull over if you feel that you either need a break or if you feel that you are holding traffic up

The Cherhola is a must and if you have time, visit the Bald River Falls just before you get into Tellico Plains. If you are into fishing, the bald river dumps into the tellico river right at the falls. With the falls at your back, go 100 yards down the tellico river to your left and its a great trout hole

Rt 28 is a great ride. So is the ride from Cherokee NC to Robbinsville. I've never ridden the Blue Ridge.

I read something just the other day that TN has passed a law to keep the semi's off from thier end. Now if NC would do the same. Soot even box vans got no bussiness on there unless delivering goods to the restruant or something like that.

As far as dramatized, yea it is IMOP. But thats thier job otherwise nobody would watch it or Ice Road truckers or the like.

NC blocked truck traffic over 30 foot on US 129 leading into the dragon, not TN. TN just posted signs saying that there are dangerous curves ahead.

Like others have mentioned, The Dragon is must do for the t-shirt, but there are really a lot better roads in this area with out all of the organ donors. Do definitely ride the Cherahola and a ride over the Smokys into Gatlinburg is worth the ride.

A trip into Maggie Valley to the Wheels Through Time Motorcycle Museum I highly recommend, but check their hours before riding in... http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com

There is another road near the TN/VA border called the Shady Valley Snake which is also a fun ride, but it doesn't have the notoriety of the dragon. I found a road in my own back yard a few weeks ago that made the dragon seem tame. Rt 66 out of Rogersville, Tn.

I doubt you will be disappointed with a trip to this area.

Like others have mentioned, The Dragon is must do for the t-shirt, but there are really a lot better roads in this area with out all of the organ donors. Do definitely ride the Cherahola and a ride over the Smokys into Gatlinburg is worth the ride.

A trip into Maggie Valley to the Wheels Through Time Motorcycle Museum I highly recommend, but check their hours before riding in... http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com

There is another road near the TN/VA border called the Shady Valley Snake which is also a fun ride, but it doesn't have the notoriety of the dragon. I found a road in my own back yard a few weeks ago that made the dragon seem tame. Rt 66 out of Rogersville, Tn.

I doubt you will be disappointed with a trip to this area.

Welcome to this crazy group. You might confuse them here with us both being from NE TN and your name.

Yes, there is no doubt that we are blessed with many great roads to ride in this area.

RandyA

Hi Randy. Well, I have been going by Venturous since 2001 and see no reason to change now.

I keep finding more roads to explore all the time. The other thing I like is the lack of congestion compared to the DC area. Yeah, Knoxville can get dicy at times, but other than that, riding in this area is a pleasure.