IGNORED

TriPower Generator - Anyone have one of these?

GolfVenture

So I've ruled out a 20 kw generator for I can do what I want with a 10 kw portable generator.

I found a TriPower generator that has 3 independent fuel system (gas/propane/natural gas). I just spoke to a sales rep and he described the switching process from one fuel system to the other. One does not need to purchase any additonal generator accessory to do this. I currently have a 500 gal propane tank to just heat my home including hot water tank. It would be nice to have both source of fuel (Gas & Propane) I hope to purchase one before this coming fall.

http://www.unitedgenerator.com/proddetail.php?prod=HPS12000HE

So my general plan is to move all the 30/40/50 breakers from my main panel to a sub panel and feed the sub panel with say a 125 amp breaker from the main panel with a transfer box.

Then move all my 15/20 amp breakers to a sub panel and feed it with a 100 amp breaker from the main panel with a transfer box.

With power management I would think that I could power all my power needs during an emergency.

Opinions welcome.

I run my portable 13.5/8 kw generator into a 50 amp plug in the garage for my welder. I then shut off the power into the house at the outside box. I have marked the circuits that I don't need in an emergency and make sure they are off. I disconnect the two circuits for my two freezers and start the generator. I then flip the 50amp breker for the welder on and I am in business. I turn the freezers on separately about ten minutes apart.

When the power comes back on (neighbors yard light) I reverse order everything except the freezers which I leave on. I have only had to use the generator three times in four years and that was for a short time to a few hours.

:farmer:

:sign yeah that:I do it the same way works well , and it will run everything in the home

except our electric hot water heater. And All I use is a 6K gen.

Keeps the fridge running , heater , all lights , sump pumps, micro yadda yadda.

Had to run mine 5 days with this set up and about 7 more times the past 5 years

:sign yeah that:I do it the same way works well , and it will run everything in the home

except our electric hot water heater. And All I use is a 6K gen.

Keeps the fridge running , heater , all lights , sump pumps, micro yadda yadda.

Had to run mine 5 days with this set up and about 7 more times the past 5 years

Yeah, I wasn't going to say anything because it's not code, but I do the same thing. My 6K runs 2 fridges, deep freeze, two furnaces and the electronics to keep us entertained. Water heaters and range are gas.

Last time I used it I learned that if you forget to turn the breakers for the furnaces back on it's 53 degrees in the AM, but you only use a half gallon of gasoline.

I installed a 20k standby generator, did all the install myself the natural gas line, installed the main electrical box then hired an electrician to pull the wires. Everything went well. It has been well worth the cost, the electrician said I could run everything except the dryer an the central air at the same time. So far so good.

http://www.interlockkit.com/

This is what i used on my house....Legal and gives you the choice of what circuits you want to use

This looks like something I need to install, for sure. It would be MUCH safer and more convenient than what I have now. But :confused24: my question is what is a "Generator (Back Feed) " breaker? I have called the Square D distributor here and then didn't know what I was talking about.

Whatever way you choose to do it, there is one absolute rule, which I am sure you already have in mind.

When your generator is running you MUST be disconnected from the external supply.

Just think of the power line workers :) They will thank you for not sending 125V down the lines they are working on.