IGNORED

Goin bionic

kenw

My doc just informed me its time to start thinking about a knee replacement. I remember people talking about their experiences with this and was hoping for some feedback about what to watch out for! Is one brand knee better than another?

Thanks, Kenw

:confused24:

I'd want to see the part first and make sure it didnt say "made in china". My brother in law just had his done right before Christmas. He had some complications with bleeding but he said it was an alergy to the pain meds. It wouldnt let it close up around staples so it kept bleeding. Doc held of an extra few days to see if it would heal up before he let him go back to theropy. All is good now other than he is a wekk or 2 behind on the theropy stuff, and because of not being able to do any he is stiffer than would have been I think. None of it good I dont think, but the alternative is hobbling around and limited mobility. Good luck with your decision.

I had a knee replacement in 97, I was only 47 at the time, and I am sure that I wouldnt recommend it for anyone that young unless it was absolutely necessary. My doc should have just insisted that I just be off my feet for work, that was actually the major problem. I was down in bed for two full months after the knee replacement, used a walker for the most part of three months for convenience and safety since it was winter at the time and didnt want to risk a fall on the ice. I dont really want to go into what all was involved, but you can pm me if you want to, not sure I want to advertise to everyone everything that happened. Overall, I recommend against it if you can possibly avoid it. I had what sounded to be some of the worst results of it, other than those who ended up with bleeding or infections, or who had to have replacements right away. I was in serious pain for two years post surgery, and the surgical knee hurts every day, to this day fifteen years later. The only time that my non surgical knee hurts worse than the surgical knee,is is I am heavily using it for seriously walking or working on it. Pm me if you need to hear the rest of the story.

I had both mine replaces in at the same time(06).It was a painful recovery,but the end result was worth it. As long as you do the therapy you will be walking like a new man. If you need so more info Look my number up in my profile,I'll be glad to talk about it with you.

Edited by tbbrider

I had both mine replaces in at the same time(06).It was a painful recovery,but the end result was worth it. As long as you do the therapy you will be walking like a new man. If you need so more info Look my number up in my profile,I'll be glad to talk about it with you.

Same with my wife tbbrider,

My wife had both knees repalced at same time.. As you stated, very painful, no other way to sugar coat it.. however, the very next day they came and took her to theropy ( I went with her). After her theropy, they asked her to stand up on her own, grab her walker, and walk as far as she feels she can walk heading back to her room. Others in this class got up, walked four or five steps and wanted thier wheel chair..my wife got up, and yes very "slowly" walked with her walker across the room, out the door, down the hall and all the way back to her room. The theropy class members, the next day, all clapped thier hands when she was wheeled into theropy class. Men in the class who only took 4 to 5 steps were very impressed with my wifes ability and determination to walk again.

Aabout 2 yrs ago she had it done and from 1 to 10 (10 being excellent) I would say my wife is a strong 7 to full 8 ..once is a while, her knees bother her, but that is after long long walks in a mall or walking far distances in a town on a side walk or walking up / down many stairs.

For the most part she is very happy with her knee replacements, both rotoar cuffs rebuilt, both hands / carpul tunnel, and on and on... talk about being bionic.........ha

Here is to wishing you well in your decision and recovery if you decide to have it done.

I don't know that one "brand" is better than another brand but I do believe that "people" are different.

Some people have difficulties for reasons too varied to list but a few are: their body refusing to accept the new parts, not following rehab instructions and one real but not an acceptable reason for some is an individuals pain tolerance level.

My mother had both of her knees replaced 16 years ago, except for the scars you wouldn't know it happened. However she is convinced that because they are 16 years old, they are worn out :think: and she says she shouldn't do any excessive walking. btw - she'll be 92 in a few days. :thumbsup:

My experience is that my Dr. told me my right knee should be replaced when I was 35 but that he wouldn't because of my age (too young) so with a few pain pills (otc) some cortisone and 3 more surgeries I made until I was 65 before it was replaced.

It was the 3rd most painful experience of my life, the first 2 were when my knee cap pivoted 90 degees to the left while I was standing.

Bottom line, it'll be painful but you will have to decide whether the temporary post surgical pain is 'better' that the forever pain you are experiencing now.

Good Luck and I do believe there are MANY more successful procedures than there are supposed horror stories.

My doc just informed me its time to start thinking about a knee replacement. I remember people talking about their experiences with this and was hoping for some feedback about what to watch out for! Is one brand knee better than another?

Thanks, Kenw

:confused24:

Good place to ask these questions is at the following link:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=onourfeet&nav=start

After going for several years in excruciating pain I am finally getting my right knee replaced on Feb 23rd. Dont waste too much time thinking about it. If its that bad and a regular scope wont help you, go ahead with the TKR surgery. I wasted almost a year of riding and many other activities because of this, not to mention lost work days. Do your due diligence and research your doctors and other doctors in your area. Ask your dr what system (brand) he uses and how many TKR's he performs on his surgery days and how many overall has he performed. The above link will give you much better insight into this procedure.

Good luck....

There is supposed to be an excellent hospital in the Atlanta area for this type of surgery. Ask DragonRider about this place. I forgot the name.