IGNORED

Medical related-Heel Spurs

Phoneman1981

Anyone here in this extended family ever suffer from heal spurs? In early 2011 at the age of 47, I began noticing that my feet especially my heels ached very badly at the end of the day and again first thing in the morning. I was diagnosed with Plantar Faciitis/Heel spurs. New orthodics in my shoes and Cortisone shots helped some and got me through the Cody rally, but things turned for the worse as the year went on. I suffered everyday, especially at work. Now after almost a year I am finally getting some relief. Just wondered if anyone else might be dealing with the same intense pain?

Edited by Phoneman1981
Misspelled word.

BEEN THERE...

DONE THAT...

Wife and I both had them...

Had the cortizone shots, custom made orthonics $350 twice for two pairs for my wife. another $350 for mine.

Had to quit using mine because it was causing shin problems on my good leg.

Went to a Dr Donner in Parkersburg and told him how uncomfortable I was ....

dr said it was because your foot is like a spring it actually gets longer if you put your weight on it...trick is to add more support in front of heel and under arch so your foot doesnt extend as much and aggrivate the heel area... Also said a lot of people develop this condition due to inadequate arch support... So if you have deck shoes or the old converse chuck taylor sneakers ...ya better get a pair of felts or foam inserts to support your arches...

He came back with two self adhesive felts, rounded triangular in shape, that you place in you shoe under the foam insert and supports you arch right in front of your heel. I walked across the room and for the first time in a year i could walk without wincing...

They were 50 cents apiece. I bought 10 pairs and put in all my shoes. After about a month i was totally pain free

sculops?? or some such will find correct spelling eventually

Long story short I still wear them and have no pain whatsoever.

I do remember having to always wear a pair of equipped shoes even to go to the bathroom at night as just one 20' walk without them could undo a weeks worth of healing...

Wife also has them in her shoes...:missingtooth:

Pictures label info:

Mooremedical

UPN #0-0607415-09217-2

Pedi-pad #106l 1/4" Adh Felt

UOM PK/100

Edited by CaptainJoe

Ugh... I had almost forgotten heel spurs. Never went to the doctor for cortisone, but my dad and sister had them, so it figured that was what was wrong with me. It just seemed to take time to wear them in. A lot of tolerance for pain is a bonus, too. I was a delivery driver at the time, so I walked a LOT. Seems like it took about a year to clear up. Good luck.

Shots did not work at all.

Had partial Plantar Faciitis separation surgery, completely removed the 'nail in the heel pain' but moved pain to the arch. More bearable in the arch(with support), and decreasing pain with time. Now nearly completely pain free except on very long working days.

Yep, I too was suffering plantar fasciitis while in Cody. I soaked my heel in warm Epsom salts alternated with cold water each night. I taped a rolled up sock in the arch of my slippers which I wear around the house and that gave a lot of relief. I also took anti inflammatorys but don't know how much they helped. It has been ten months now and it is almost all gone. Still get sore after walking a while. Heel spurs are different. They are bone growths which appear on the back of your heel. Plantars fasciitis is an inflammation of the tendon which goes under the heel.

Either one is very painful.

I ended up with plantar fasciitis about 4 months ago. I was just feeling great form my last knee replacement and now this. I have been using the shoe inserts and it was gone after 3 months. I twisted my right ankle last week and its back but not as bad.

I hate getting old if its not one thing its another.

I developed heel spurs in my right foot about 7 years ago. I went to Dr Rogers in American Fork UT.He fittef me with orthotics,physical therapy and a couple of cortisone shots and I have been okay since. I know that it is still there as I can feel the pain if forget to wear thr orthotics,but as long as I buy good shoes and wear the arch supports I am fine.

I have had heel spurs in both feet. Hurt 24 hrs a day for me. Had surgery on my left in 1999 when the shots and custom orthodics did not work. Had my right start up last year. Took the shots and my foot dr recommended Poly Sorb inserts. Got them at Academy Sports for about $25 a pair. Worked good for me this time, no sugery. Wear them in all my shoes and boots including my house shoes. Xray of my right heel shows 2 bone spurs on the back of the heel itself, they look like snake fangs.

I had it for years from constantly being on my feet on ceramic floors and up and down ladders. Last spring I walked a golf course and the next three days could not walk.

Heard and advert on the radio for pain management and called. 2 month of shock wave therapy- which is a hand held piston like tool, the chiro doc has, that pounds on the heal spurs to break up the calcium build up. It is not without some discomfort. Then they use lazer therapy to help the healing process.

I had been in pain for years and did the man-up thing and toughed it out till I could not walk. It took longer for the recovery because of that, but I still remember the day I stopped and realized I did not think of my feet the whole day. It is hard to go through a day when your in constant pain.

Interesting thing is they have been doing this in Europe of decades now and is as simple as going to the doc for a tune up. AND IT WORKS without surgery or medication. Strange how that is not covered here but the meds and surgery are.:think:

Good luck, I use to know what you are feeling

• 1 year later...

Thanks everyone for the support. I have learned the process for healing can be very different for everyone. The pain did not come on suddenly and I did not expect it to end suddenly either. After many months of trying everything from new boots, new custom orthodics, shots, drugs, accupuncture, Ultrasound, night splints I was still having issues. I was referred to the "Good Feet" Store in Fort Collins by one of my customers . They fitted me with yet another new pair of Orthodics and a new pair of shoes. I also purchased two "Strassburg" Socks to wear during my sleeping hours. I am happy to report that within a week I noticed a substancial improvment in my feet. The Strassburg socks are more comfortable to wear than the hard plastic night splints that I had been wearing at night. I feel they have helped the most?? The new othodics and cushions are very comfortable. A month has passed and this is the best I have felt in two years. Starting to enjoy life again. The Good Feet orthodics were pricey, but so were the other brands that I tried. Hopefully this might help others that are suffering also.:)

Dr. had me do the same thing that Easy Rider and Pic did. 50 cent insert and Poly insert. Pain gone in a month. After a couple of months, no longer used them. Now when my feet bother me I slip the inserts in and in a day or two my feet are fine.

Good information from them.

Jim

The doctor told me most people with the surgery have almost as much pain after than before. I get up and stretch, stand on stairs facing up, toes on the end of the steps and go up on your toes hold for three or four seconds and down and hold for three or four seconds. Do this for about five minutes. Also do this when you have pain and take some Aleve , elevating when resting.

The doctor made me some orthotics and also told me to get some new shoes, ugly and slightly expensive birkenstocks for work and cautioned me not to wear the same shoes over and over, changing shoes daily and no barefoot or sandals.

Didn't have surgery but his advice has helped a ton