IGNORED

Cigarette Lighter in 12V outlet

Guest Slab_Ryder

Guest Slab_Ryder

Anyone out there use the 12V plug at the bottom of the Fairing, as a cigarette lighter? If you did , did you change the amperage of the fuse for that outlet?

At the very least you would have to replace the wire from the fuse box to the outlet with a heavier (and appropriate) wire gauge. Or, install a new fuse block near the battery using 10 gauge wire from the battery to the block and then run a new, heavier gauge wire from there to the outlet. Be a good idea to know what amps the outlet itself can handle, as well before putting in a higher amp fuse for the new wiring.

Andy

no no no no no...

The wire feeding that plug is rather thin and flimsy. Unless you would like to take the chance and heating the wire up and possibly burning the bike to the ground, leave the 5 amp fuse.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Remember if you let the magic smoke out of the wires BAD things happen!!!:yikes::yikes::yikes:

I installed my lighter down at seat level on the left side. You will see there is a plug there that is easily removed and makes a great spot. Use heavier wire and its own fuse. A little bit to get used to while riding but it does the trick and with the heavier wire I can power up the little air compressors etc.

So... on a 2nd Gen.... the accessory power on the fairing.... what can you use in it?

- GPS ?

- small compressor?

Depends on the fuse rating, and assumes Yamaha fitted wire sufficient to carry the fuse rated current, and no more.

Cigarette lighters are typically rated at 10 Amps. Many small compressors require a 10 Amp fuse, the better ones need 15 Amps.

Any of them is okay for a GPS.

Yes and Yes

An air compressor cannot be used in the stock power outlet - ALL of them pull more than 5 amps. Some people may have changed the fuse to a higher one and think it is successful, but this should never Never NEVER!!!! be done! Not only do you run a big risk of melting wires and plastic, and possible starting a fire in the bike, but the supplied voltage to the compressor will be lower than required due to the loss from tiny wires. That generates more heat in the compressor and will likely damage it.

Goose

Sorry for the slight hijack....

To do the accessory outlet by the seat... suggestion on wire size (or would it be attached to the cigarette lighter connector when purchased) ? Fuse size?

Manufacturers are concerned with maximising profit. They buy wire by the mile, and they use the smallest that will get the job done.

We buy it by the "several foot" and it never hurts to build in a little redundancy.

When I replace wires I generally use a wire gauge chart, and go at least one size up.

http://www.rbeelectronics.com/wtable.htm

If you go for 15 Amps, then that socket will power the better small compressor tire inflators.

Sorry for the slight hijack....

To do the accessory outlet by the seat... suggestion on wire size (or would it be attached to the cigarette lighter connector when purchased) ? Fuse size?

Here, go to this link.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43150

Dingy's relays and wiring 101 has a chart for appropriate wire sizes with fuses, etc. Should give you the info that you need. I used it when I put a new fuse box and relays in mine a couple of months ago. Very useful.

Andy