IGNORED

Another car hits motorcycle

ediddy

This happened about a mile from my house saturday. Another driver says they didn't see the motorcyle. It is encouraging to see law enforcement telling people to look out for motorcycles. The guy they interviewed on the 250 Kawasaki has his bike insured with me. This is his second bike. He totaled the first one this summer when a car pulled out in front of him. Luckily he wasnt hurt.

www.walb.com/story/16472795/troopers-urge-driver-to-be-aware-of-motorcyclists

As many This baffles me a man is in the hospital fighting for his life, with the potential that if he does survive he will be missing a leg. What happens to the operator of the vehicle? Well she gets cited for failing to yield the right of way!!!! Her statement I did not see him! Well I guess that makes it all better. Some might say well she has to live with That, I say What does the rider have to live without?

I hate to say it again, but many LEO and judges don't seem to care what happens to motorcyclists. Its good to see this LEO make a statement like he did.

If a driver can't see a motorcycle, then they can't see a bicycle, or skateboarder, or grandma with her walker either.

I say this while living in a county where the local DA refused to charge a deputy who killed a motorcyclist last year by turning accross a road to pursue a speeder and didn't look at what was coming the other way.

I remember a time when if you stated " I didn't see him or it " You automaticely Got charged with careless driving as you just admitted that you were not paying attention and if the victim, died you were charged with motor manslaughter.

In Ontario the ministry has been posting " Be safe watch for Motorcycles " on the overhead display signs above major highways and yet people still seem to be ignorant of the motorcycling public. It is also amazing that it seldom involves cagers who ride motorcycles or know people who ride motorcycles.

It's not just motorcycles they don't see.

At least weekly I avoid mashing someone that doesn't see my GMC Yukon coming down the road. Most of them would be severely injured if I weren't on my toes.

Unfortunately, it cuts the other way for the biker.

Man, you said a mouthful, Micarl. I've been driving semi-trucks for 32 years, and only a little over a year ago started riding a mc. It's the SAME person I have to watch for. I've been saving peoples lives by watching for their ignorant mistakes all my life. Turns out the upside is that it made me a fairly good rider by default. Some driver friends tried to explain this to me, but it took experience to make me believe it.

In all honesty sometimes it is difficult to see a motorcycle on the road but for some it's impossible with them talking on the cell or texting. Understanding that the average car driver overlooks the small footprint of a bike, motorcycle riders should take extra steps to be seen.

My thing is I ride with a safety vest on that I got at harbor freight. Ok I look dumb in this reflective dayglow yellow vest but I've noticed that when I ride without it, I seem to be a bit more invisible.

Best $8 I ever spent. I have a few of them!

What's surprising is when on a clear day, traffic is stopped at an intersection and then someone in a car runs into the back of another car...and not just with a little tap. I saw two of these accidents last week and fortunately motorcycles weren't involved.

What are these people doing... talking on their cell, texting, reading, fingernails and makeup? I still think they need much stiffer fines for these issues.

All of this just goes to say that we need to be extremely cautious and safe out there. I ride to work a lot and if I am running behind I never ride my motorcycle. Slow down and go the posted speed limit on surface streets. If you want to go fast there is a time and a place for that. Also the highway is a much safer place to exceed to the speed limit within reason. I always expect the worse and anticipate everyone pulling out in front of me and cutting me off. We can never be to safe. Hope that everyone can keep the rubber side down and enjoy many years of "safe" riding.

Also as a side note I completely respect everyones right to choose what kind of safety gear to wear. For me I love the fresh air feeling and the look of some of the half helmets, but I always wear protective clothing and a full face helmet. My face may not be much to look at but I like it ok and want my chin to be protected in the event that I go down.

:080402gudl_prv: