IGNORED

yet another scam

Sailor

I got my Mastercard bill for Dec and found a charge for something I knew nothing about. An outfit called Safe Cart had billed me $44.00. I checked online and it seems there have been a lot of complaints about this outfit for false billing and not delivering goods or delivering defective goods. MC confirmed there had been no activity on my card at that time. They pulled the card number off the internet somewhere. I now have a new card and MC is investigating.

I got an email from AMEX this morning it was a fraud alert about unusual activity on my card? There was a case # and a 800# to call, so I did, I get this gentleman from India I would guess and the first thing he wants is my acct# and SS # I politely explain that I am not going to give that info to an 800# on an email, so he spells his name for me and insists he is with AMEX fraud div. I explain that I am not impressed and offer the case # for him to check, he explains that will not work, so I hang up. I find a statement with the cust serv # and give them a call, he knows the # I am calling from and only needs the last 5 digits from my card, turns out someone is using my card online and they are going to cancel it and issue a new one. Poor guy in India was innocent:doh: They ought to have a verifiyable email, like they have secure sites. Guess you cant be too careful anymore?

Craig

I evidently have bank accounts with banks all over the country because somebody is going to cancel my online access if I don't verify those accounts with all of my personal information. Some of them even ask for

dob

address

ss'#

m or f

etc - etc

It must be working because I get those emails all the time

Another safety tip... watch out when you pull out your card... if there's someone nearby on their cell phone, guard (cover) the card... with so many camera phones, it's a simple trick to snap a pic.

Does your drivers license show when you open your wallet... same bad mistake. Make it the second one in or keep it obscrured until needed.

Privacy is getting a lot tougher.

Another safety tip... watch out when you pull out your card... if there's someone nearby on their cell phone, guard (cover) the card... with so many camera phones, it's a simple trick to snap a pic.

Does your drivers license show when you open your wallet... same bad mistake. Make it the second one in or keep it obscrured until needed.

Privacy is getting a lot tougher.

Yep,, it'll get bad enough that we will WANT them to put a chip in our hand,,,, so that we can't buy, sell, or trade without it.

I had my Master Card compromised last year when I was ordering a number of parts for my 04 from a number of sources across the US.

It turns out somehow someway someone got a hold of everything including the 3 digit security code on the back. Everything was delivered to an address in Hanoi.

I'm still fighting with the Bank of Montreal over it.

So what we did was we got another card, a Visa card with a $500.00 limit on it and that is what we use exclusivley for ordering anything online and it is a chip card so it never leaves the house. I can't believe how stupid the banks are for dreaming up that idea. That should be a no brainer. RF chip = transmitter = detectable = stealable.

Chris in RD AB

A few years ago I had my card compromised. The first I knew was when MC investigators phoned me here on Saltspring Island to ask if I had been in New Delhi buying things the day before. After that I had a distance limit on the card. I could not use it more than 100 miles from my home unless I phoned them first to tell them where I would be ( eg England) and the dates. When this card was compromised the guys were 50 miles from my home.

Edited by Sailor
add info.