IGNORED

Going to look at 1999 Road Star

OrlinEngh

I am going to go and look at a 1999 Road Star 1600 it looks to be in nice shape from the pics I have seen, one owner 52,000 miles what are some things that I should be sure to check out on it. And what would be a fair price to pay or offer.

Thanks

Orlin

I am going to go and look at a 1999 Road Star 1600 it looks to be in nice shape from the pics I have seen, one owner 52,000 miles what are some things that I should be sure to check out on it. And what would be a fair price to pay or offer.

Thanks

Orlin

Outside of a few there aren't a lot of folks on this board that are that well read on prices of the V twins. You might want to pop the question on on a website that caters to V Stars.

Roadie prices aren't keeping up with Venture prices. The only reason I chose to sell my Venture over the Roadie was the fact that I could get all that I paid for the Venture and the Roadie would have brought back about half of what I have in it. That said... a '99 in excellent shape should still bring $4000-$5000 but I have seen lower lately.

One thing to ask if it's had the transmission recall but then call Yammi with the VIN to verify it.

The issue was a circlip that could break and lockup the tranny. They have to split the cases so it's pretty much an engine rebuild also and you get free labor since it's apart if you want some upgrades. Just buy the extra parts!

But stop buy RoadStarClinic.com and you may get a better answer on pricing in your area.

Roadie prices aren't keeping up with Venture prices. The only reason I chose to sell my Venture over the Roadie was the fact that I could get all that I paid for the Venture and the Roadie would have brought back about half of what I have in it. That said... a '99 in excellent shape should still bring $4000-$5000 but I have seen lower lately.

One thing to ask if it's had the transmission recall but then call Yammi with the VIN to verify it.

The issue was a circlip that could break and lockup the tranny. They have to split the cases so it's pretty much an engine rebuild also and you get free labor since it's apart if you want some upgrades. Just buy the extra parts!

But stop buy RoadStarClinic.com and you may get a better answer on pricing in your area.

They most be doing pretty good to get 4-5k for a 99, I couldn't get a nibble on an 06 rstd midnite for $6500.

Make sure you start it when it is COLD, like not started in a day or more.

I had a 2001, good bike, still in the family. But it got on the sticky valve side (a big nag for that bike) and it was hard to start and keep running in winter.

My son-in-law still has it (never rides it). But this time of year has to maintain choke to keep it running. Probably needs a valve job.

Anyhow, make sure it can get off choke in a few minutes.

But fun bike, I put 50k miles+ on mine.

Mike G