IGNORED

This really Sux

1BigDog

After going through a series of clearance tests I was all set for my Feb 9th Total Knee Replacement surgery date. Got a call this morning from the surgical coordinator saying that due to a large amount of emergency surgeries that have come up they have to cancel my elective surgery until April 26th. I was stunned. Just how many emergencies surgeries could there have been? I was supposed to be on a cancellation list but I took my name off of it because Feb 9th date fit my schedule nicely. Now when i asked about the cancellation list the coordinator says she will put me on it but that cancellations are rare. They did offer to have another surgeon do the surgery on Jan 29th but this Dr uses a Depuy knee, which I do not want. My Dr uses a Stryker Triathlon knee, and after having done my research I was happy with the choice.

It does not sound right to me. Im waiting for a return call. I dont want to start this process over with another Dr and another clinic but I also dont want to be screwed around with. What happens in April when they call again with another slew of emergencies?

And what about the time limits on my clearances? Right now im just venting. But what I dont understand is why cant the other Dr handle his emergencies.

It really sounds like they just dont want to do the surgery.

Dont think I want to force the hand of someone who is cutting into me. Im still waiting for a return call from them but I may have to switch clinics and start all over again. This has really left a bad taste in my mouth. Just not sure if I can hold out for another 4 months. Im barely getting by now.

Dan, I sent a nicely worded full page letter to the dr personally, asking for a full explanation of the delays. I also asked if he didnt want to do this procedure for some underlying reason on me then let me move on, again worded nicely. One question I did ask was what guarantee will you give me that this wont be delayed once again in April? Ill see what he says.

I just read in the last couple days that there are major shortages of medications used in hospitals, primarily painkillers. I wonder if the issue is they're saving what they got for emergencies.

You could ask if he'd allow you a swig of whiskey and a bullet to bite on.......

Edited by MiCarl

I don't know how true it is, but I once asked my family doctor why I was having trouble getting appts to see her, sometimes weeks out from my needed time. She told me she had very little control over the scheduling since her office has several doctors, and I prefer to just use her there was little option. The office manager has the most control in the office of how appts get scheduled. This person is also the same person who handles the mail for the doctors, If you haven't actually mailed the letter yet I recommend sending it certified so you can find out who signed for it. Working for the postal service you know how the system there works. :)

Most Orthopaedic Surgeons work at multiple hospitals and it is usaully the hospital that decides use of operating rooms.

If you are willing to try a different hospital than your first choice you might get a closer date. Same doctor just different location.

The surgeons "buy" facility time and that drives when they operate.

Not sure if this is your case, just and idea.

Some of my family had the same issue and by going to another hospital in the area got it worked out.

After going through a series of clearance tests I was all set for my Feb 9th Total Knee Replacement surgery date. Got a call this morning from the surgical coordinator saying that due to a large amount of emergency surgeries that have come up they have to cancel my elective surgery until April 26th. I was stunned. Just how many emergencies surgeries could there have been? I was supposed to be on a cancellation list but I took my name off of it because Feb 9th date fit my schedule nicely. Now when i asked about the cancellation list the coordinator says she will put me on it but that cancellations are rare. They did offer to have another surgeon do the surgery on Jan 29th but this Dr uses a Depuy knee, which I do not want. My Dr uses a Stryker Triathlon knee, and after having done my research I was happy with the choice.

It does not sound right to me. Im waiting for a return call. I dont want to start this process over with another Dr and another clinic but I also dont want to be screwed around with. What happens in April when they call again with another slew of emergencies?

And what about the time limits on my clearances? Right now im just venting. But what I dont understand is why cant the other Dr handle his emergencies.

It really sounds like they just dont want to do the surgery.

Edited by sgn
bad spelling

Kat, I do plan on sending it Certified and also addressed it personal and confidential. Something just didnt feel right with her explanation. If I cant get an honest, straightforward answer then it will be time to move on.

Carl, there is an endless supply of drugs on the street here, especially crack!...maybe I can self medicate...:smile5:

Most Orthopaedic Surgeons work at multiple hospitals and it is usaully the hospital that decides use of operating rooms.

If you are willing to try a different hospital than your first choice you might get a closer date. Same doctor just different location.

The surgeons "buy" facility time and that drives when they operate.

Not sure if this is your case, just and idea.

Some of my family had the same issue and by going to another hospital in the area got it worked out.

This particular dr uses one particular hospital in town and a surgery center for the minor surgeries. A delay of almost 3 months seems rather lenghty and I have been scheduled for this since Nov of 2011.

Just spoke to the surgical coordinator again and she was very vague with her answers. I asked her what guarantees would I get that this wont happen again in April and she couldnt give me any. There didnt seem to be any apologetic tone to her voice as well. This is one of the largest and best clinics here in town and I am certainly not impressed right now. This is major surgery and the lack of concern is really scaring me. Looks like im going Dr surfing once again.......

Ruffy I sure am sorry to read about this disappointment. Maybe it happened for a reason. Maybe a different doctor is what you need. The explanation about too many emergency surgeries scheduled makes no sense at all.

I sure hope things work out better.

Yama Mama

Ruffy. Again I would make this public knowledge. And advise them I was doing so. We deserve to recieve better treatment from people whose wages we are paying. My injuries in the last few years have given me a different outlook at this. There are some Great deserving doctors out there. And the people that work with them. There are some that I wouldn't want cleaning my outhouse if I had one. I'm not too bashfull and have let a few of them know how I feel about this to both extremes.

A friend of mine had his knee replaced by a good dr in St Augustine on Tuesday. Only reason I didnt go with his dr is because hes out of town and about a 1 hour drive for my wife. Its funny because I was on the phone with him this am when my dr's office called with the cancellation. He mentioned it to his dr who thought something wasnt right with it either. I checked his dr out on the web and he has a good rep too. So, long story short I have an appt with him on Jan 23rd for a consult. Im having all my records sent to him from my current dr. Most likely the new date will be the first week in March. I still plan on sending a letter to my current clinic with my reasons for moving on and basically telling them just how much they suck, but in nicer terms.

Forrest, my luck ill land there during a coup......

due to a large amount of emergency surgeries that have come up they have to cancel my elective surgery until April 26th. I was stunned. Just how many emergencies surgeries could there have been?.

I would ask how they know how many emergencies there will be from now until then.

Brad

Sending the records, or requesting so, might just wake someone up in jackville. Ive heard Fla has some special probs in the wintertime due to snowbirds, but that delay you mentioned is quite long. In any case Ruffy, I sure hope your knee replacement goes well, I had one years ago, and it didnt work as well as hoped and expected. I havnt had to have it redone yet, but it is at the last time period before they usually need to be replaced again at about the fifteen year timeline.

Good luck Ruffy

I would ask how they know how many emergencies there will be from now until then.

Brad

I did ask. Never got a straight answer other then saying that they caused a domino effect. But a 3 month domino effect? Either way I'm moving on to another clinic. For my sanity, or whats left of it.:smile5:

Medical Tourism. Fly to India, stay in a 5 star resort, be served drinks by the pool while you recuperate, and probably spend less than your co-pay for the total cost.

http://www.medicaltourismco.com/orthopedic-joint-bone/knee-replacement-surgery-cost.php

:sign yeah that:

Ruffy....you ignored the above post...it is no joke. You would be surprised how many people do that from all over the world. India has top class docs and facilities. Do at least look into it.:thumbsup2:

playing devils advocate only

Remember how you spent so much time researching the Doctor, the hardware and probably the proximity of the hospital to you (for convenience) ?

I wonder if the Doctor checked you out as well and decided he didn't want to deal with this particular liability ??? Believe it or not, they have options as well. They are not at our beck and call as we may think.

btw - sorry you're having a snafu with your totally unpleasant upcoming surgery

:sign yeah that:

Ruffy....you ignored the above post...it is no joke. You would be surprised how many people do that from all over the world. India has top class docs and facilities. Do at least look into it.:thumbsup2:

Since I already have insurance thats an unnecessary step for me. My coverage only covers me in my state.

playing devils advocate only

Remember how you spent so much time researching the Doctor, the hardware and probably the proximity of the hospital to you (for convenience) ?

I wonder if the Doctor checked you out as well and decided he didn't want to deal with this particular liability ??? Believe it or not, they have options as well. They are not at our beck and call as we may think.

btw - sorry you're having a snafu with your totally unpleasant upcoming surgery

Maybe so but you dont wait 3 months into the "deal" to say something like theres been a long term cancellation. Man up and just say the truth if thats the case. Dont put out false excuses.