IGNORED

cheapest route

playboy

:bang head: before I even ask this I should know better by now but here goes. Just ordered a new trailer that has factory Led's and is wired for 4 wires. From other threads looks like the Hoppy 4 to 5 converter will work and a lot cheaper than the other isolators,converters, and sub wiring harness that I have looked at.

#1 Will the Hoppy converter be more economical than installing two more lights to the trailer for turn signals?

#2 Will installing two more lights for turn signals require any kind of isolator?

#3 Will wiring trailer directly to bike harm the bikes electrical system ?

From what have read the isolator puts the load on the battery and not the bikes charging system. I'm not using any heated gear or planning any other lighting upgrades other than maybe some strip leds under the tank etc.. In theory trailer will only be used a few times a year. I have read so many old threads and opinions that I have information overload so give me some more and maybe it will fix this hangover.:confused24:

From what have read the isolator puts the load on the battery and not the bikes charging system.

That's really not accurate. The battery isn't a bottomless pit, anything connected there will still require the charging system to put out enough watts to keep up. The isolator keeps the extra load off the switches, flashers and bike wiring so you don't overload any of them.

If you're going with LEDs I don't see any reason for an isolator. If you stick with the 4 wire set up though you'll need the adapter box so the signals and brake lights work properly.

And if you are going to use the adapter box, I would still get the isolator. It is just 1 more wire to hook up (power lead to the battery) and about $10 more. Then you are protected from any electrical problem on the trailer and in the future if you ever try to pull a trailer for a friend that is not LED, or decide to add a bunch more lights to your trailer, then you are still covered.