IGNORED

Levelling Links

Joopster55

Hi guys & Gals, I recieved my levelling links and the instructions that came with them are not very clear. I know some of you guys have installed them yourself, but is there a posting in here somewhere with step by step instructions or can someone here post them for me?

I don't want to be a pain, but I want to save a few bucks by installing them myself. I've worked on cars and trucks before but my RSMV is new to me. :confused24:

Any help and/or tips is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

:canada::7_6_3[1]::canada:

Yeah John,

A lift is really a must-have. Once you have disconnected the hoses from the AIS valve you can remove it to get it out of the way of the linkage nuts/bolts.

With the lift in place but not lifting the bike, you can take the nuts off the top and bottom link bolts. With the nuts off, raise the jack enough to take the pressure off the link bolts. I usually do this by feeling the bottom bolt as I raise the bike and when it gets just right, you can feel the bolt push through to the other side, so take it out. Now the inside or right link can come off. The left side link will come off after the top bolt has been removed.

There is a good chance that there is some crude on two bolts that you took off. I usually clean them up on a grinder wire wheel to remove the crude. The bearing races may also need to be removed from the needle bearings and cleaned out and greased along with the bolts. This will help them from retaining moisture in the future.

Putting the new links, install the top bolt and the left link first. Now the bottom bolt will not align with the linkage hole. Just jack the bike up until the bolt slips in from the left link through the linkage hole. Then you can slip the right link on and install and snug the nuts up. Now let the jack down to where there is now pressure on the bolts and you can torque the 2 nuts to 36 ft lbs. Then you can put the AIS valve back on and hook the hoses back up.

Hope this helps,

Rick

You do NOT need to remove the AIS valve or anything else from the bike to do this. But you DO need some way to lift the rear tire at least 1" off the ground. Putting a board under the rear of the frame and using a floor or bottle jack will do the trick, but if you try that, you better have a couple of dudes to help hold the bike steady.

Once you pull the nuts off the bolts holding the original links on, you will need to remove the pressure on the rear suspension to slide the bolts out. To do this, just raise the bike (assuming you still have it sitting on the ground while removing the nuts) until the rear tire is just barely touching the ground (or anything else). Lightly pushing on the end of the bolts while you gently raise the bike will pinpoint just the right time when the bolts slide out easily. Once you have the bolts out and the old links off, you will need to either raise the bike 1" or lower the rear tire 1" to align the new links with the bolt holes and put it all back together. That is all there is to it. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

• 1 month later...

Just finished mine it was 1hr job mine raised 1.5in i don't fell a big change in the way it sits but wow! did it change the way it handles i think with a little practice i will be making U turns in the middle of the street i just plain forgot to do some slow riding on the test i went to the local school parking lot and did a few circles and was very pleased i made them a month ago wish i had not waited so long to put them on