IGNORED

Brake pads on ebay ?

ragtop69gs

Has anyone tried these pads listed on ebay ? I have used EBC in the past but was wondering about a cheaper alternative.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120833017792&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_2984wt_1016

Not sure why the link won't work, you'll have to copy & paste into your browser.

Edited by ragtop69gs

Here is ebay item #, put it in ebay search field. 120833017792

I prefer the Kevlar (or Organic) pads over the harder EBC 'HH' pads. One reason is the kevlar is not as abrasive on the rotors so they will last longer. The kevlars do take more lever/pedel effort to achieve equal power to harder pads, but they don't suffer from heat related fade off as much. I would rather have a pad that is consistent in braking power. The Kevlars will not last quite as long as the harder coumpounds, which is the trade off. Pads are $75 a set, rotors can be $500 or more a set.

Gary

Below is a cut from a Wiki link pertaining to brakes and the coefficient of friction they have.

Brake pad materials range from asbestos to organic or semi-metallic formulations. Each of these materials has proven to have advantages and disadvantages regarding environmental friendliness, wear, noise, and stopping capability. Semi-metallic pads provide strength and conduct heat away from rotors but also generate noise and are abrasive enough to increase rotor wear.

Ceramic compounds and copper fibers in place of the semi-metallic pad's steel fibers accommodate higher temperatures with less heat fade and generate less dust and wear on both the pads and rotors. They also provide much quieter operation due to the ceramic compound that helps dampen noise by shifting its resonant frequency beyond the human hearing range and reduced metal use (approximately 15% metal content by weight). Ceramic brake pads typically are suited for light-duty applications and not severe duty applications as encountered by medium duty trucks, etc.

There are environmental factors that govern the selection of brake pad materials. For example, recent legislation in Washington State (SSB 6557) and other states will limit the amount of copper that is allowed to be used in friction materials, to be eventually phased out to trace amounts. Other materials like antimony compounds will be monitored as well.

Asbestos was widely used in pads for its heat resistance but, due to health risks, has been replaced with alternative materials, such as mineral fibers, cellulose, aramid, PAN, chopped glass, steel, and copper fibers. Depending on material properties, disc wear rates vary. The properties that determine material wear involve trade-offs between performance and longevity. Newer pads can be made of exotic materials like ceramics, aramid fibres, and other plastics. Vehicles have different braking requirements. Friction materials offer application-specific formulas and designs. Brake pads with a higher coefficient of friction provide good braking with less brake pedal pressure requirement, but tend to lose efficiency at higher temperatures, increasing stopping distance. Brake pads with a smaller and constant coefficient of friction don’t lose efficiency at higher temperatures and are stable, but require higher brake pedal pressure.

I bought some on ebay 2 years ago, and I think these are the same.

They have much thinner pad material than the oem or EBC pads. Ask the seller what the pad thickness is and compare to the EBC or oem pads first. I have kept a set of these ebay pads in my tool kit for emergencies, but wouldn't put them on a bike I intended to ride much.

I bought some on ebay 2 years ago, and I think these are the same.

They have much thinner pad material than the oem or EBC pads. Ask the seller what the pad thickness is and compare to the EBC or oem pads first. I have kept a set of these ebay pads in my tool kit for emergencies, but wouldn't put them on a bike I intended to ride much.

You wouldn't happen to know the pad thickness of the EBC's and OEM's. I emailed the seller asking the thickness and maker.

Just before we all went to Ludington I needed brake pads for the 83VR and not having much money to spend I went to Rocky's in Burton (Flint) and bought some that they had for $10 a pair. They stop the bike better then any pad I have ever used. I don't care if they only last 1/2 the miles of the expensive ones I used because the braking is so much better. If you want to know the brand I saved the package so I know to buy the same ones next time, I just have to go to the old house because a lot of my motorcycle parts are still there locked up in the shed.

Just before we all went to Ludington I needed brake pads for the 83VR and not having much money to spend I went to Rocky's in Burton (Flint) and bought some that they had for $10 a pair. They stop the bike better then any pad I have ever used. I don't care if they only last 1/2 the miles of the expensive ones I used because the braking is so much better. If you want to know the brand I saved the package so I know to buy the same ones next time, I just have to go to the old house because a lot of my motorcycle parts are still there locked up in the shed.

Hey Karl... Merry Christmas pal. Let me know what they are when you find them, I'd like to know.

If ya need some help moving the rest of your stuff let me know, I have some time next week :thumbsup2:

Just

:2cents: here....

I tried Kevlar pads and unlike Dingy, I didn't care for them. Perhaps it was the brand of pad which I used (which I can't remember the mfgr), but I didn't like the feel and how much I had to get into the brakes. My style of riding and how I expect the brakes to feel and the input I have to give to achieve the results that I want is what turned me off from them. I 99% of the time go with the EBC HH sintered pads as I like how they feel and perform. I have yet to wear out a set of rotors, but if the price is good, buy them and try them for yourself.