IGNORED

Life Lesson: A slap in the face....

KIC

Took the bike out today to run some errands. On my way home I had to stop at COSTCO to pick up a few things for CHRISTmas Eve dinner. Traffic sucked as everybody was turning left into the parking lot. Went past COSTCO to make a u-turn back into the lot. A young male (18-22ish) was in a small red car in front of me. I could tell he was on his cell phone, I was ticked as I wanted him to concentrate on making his u-turn so I could make mine. It was then that I saw a guy in a wheel chair coming down the sidewalk, crossing the entrances of a couple of business on that side. I had to wonder where he was coming from, as there was nothing to the east of where he was coming from.

You see, this guy had one arm, and one good leg. He was pushing with his right leg, while pushing/spinning the rear wheel with his right arm. He was working VERY hard at each push/spin. I watched how much impact some gravel on the wheelchair ramp had as he went up the 8% wheelchair ramp slope. I think I was just in awe on how hard this guy was working to get somewhere. I kept wondering where he was coming from and how far he had already gone.

The kid in the red car finally made his u-turn. About time ! Then it was my turn. As I turned I saw the red car turn into a business parking lot. Next thing I know, the kid had jumped out and walked up to the wheelchair guy. A brief conversation had the young man pushing the wheelchair up the road as I passed. I pulled into COSTCO. As I ran inside I kept thinking about what I had just witnessed. That kid committed to pushing that wheelchair.. How far ? A couple of blocks ? A mile ? I ran through COSTCO grabbing my stuff while thinking about that kid pushing the wheelchair. It was then when I decided that I wanted to get out of there ASAP. I wanted to see if I could either push the next mile, give the kid a ride back to his car, or at least shake his hand.

I got in line and kept thinking about what I had seen. I only had three small things to buy. The ladies in front of me turned to me and insisted that I go ahead of them. ( 2nd nice gesture I had seen in the last 15 minutes. ) I checked out and ran to my bike.

I rode my motorcycle up a mile to the west, turned around and then to the south. Couldn’t find either of them. Don’t know where they both went. Finally went back to where the car was parked and couldn’t find that either.

All I know two things now; There is a mom and dad somewhere that should be very proud of their son, and that the next time I want to be the guy who does it, not the one who just thinks about it. :)

Great story.

Sometimes in all the hubbub and commotion of life we forget the young people today are just as smart, just as patriotic, just as brave, and just as caring as young people ever were. It's just sometimes hard for one generation to admit it about the next. Or maybe it's sometimes hard for us to see it. Stories like this are a welcome reminder.

Mike

yep... we see a situation from our point of view, not knowing what it is really all about... and jump to a conclusion ... (damn kid talking on his cell phone and not paying attention)... and we get mad.

This is a good lesson ... thank you for a reality check!

There is still some hope for us........just when you think you have seen it all, something comes along to change your mind, most the times bad, but every now and then such as this case, its surprisingly good. This is the season that brings out the good in most of us...............

Took the bike out today to run some errands. On my way home I had to stop at COSTCO to pick up a few things for CHRISTmas Eve dinner. Traffic sucked as everybody was turning left into the parking lot. Went past COSTCO to make a u-turn back into the lot. A young male (18-22ish) was in a small red car in front of me. I could tell he was on his cell phone, I was ticked as I wanted him to concentrate on making his u-turn so I could make mine. It was then that I saw a guy in a wheel chair coming down the sidewalk, crossing the entrances of a couple of business on that side. I had to wonder where he was coming from, as there was nothing to the east of where he was coming from.

You see, this guy had one arm, and one good leg. He was pushing with his right leg, while pushing/spinning the rear wheel with his right arm. He was working VERY hard at each push/spin. I watched how much impact some gravel on the wheelchair ramp had as he went up the 8% wheelchair ramp slope. I think I was just in awe on how hard this guy was working to get somewhere. I kept wondering where he was coming from and how far he had already gone.

The kid in the red car finally made his u-turn. About time ! Then it was my turn. As I turned I saw the red car turn into a business parking lot. Next thing I know, the kid had jumped out and walked up to the wheelchair guy. A brief conversation had the young man pushing the wheelchair up the road as I passed. I pulled into COSTCO. As I ran inside I kept thinking about what I had just witnessed. That kid committed to pushing that wheelchair.. How far ? A couple of blocks ? A mile ? I ran through COSTCO grabbing my stuff while thinking about that kid pushing the wheelchair. It was then when I decided that I wanted to get out of there ASAP. I wanted to see if I could either push the next mile, give the kid a ride back to his car, or at least shake his hand.

I got in line and kept thinking about what I had seen. I only had three small things to buy. The ladies in front of me turned to me and insisted that I go ahead of them. ( 2nd nice gesture I had seen in the last 15 minutes. ) I checked out and ran to my bike.

I rode my motorcycle up a mile to the west, turned around and then to the south. Couldn’t find either of them. Don’t know where they both went. Finally went back to where the car was parked and couldn’t find that either.

All I know two things now; There is a mom and dad somewhere that should be very proud of their son, and that the next time I want to be the guy who does it, not the one who just thinks about it. :)

Thanks for that wonderful story, it was very uplifting for me! You may not have been able to reward that young man but God will! Yes, we could use a couple million more people like that. Like the journey of many miles it starts with the first step and that's where we come in...