IGNORED

Radio screen fading

I think I have seen that happen twice on my '99. Once was when I was caught in a heavy rainstorm for a few hours. After it all dried out, it didn't happen again.

The next time was when I had a battery that was going bad. When it got low on voltage when I was riding, the LCD would fade out like that.

I think I have seen that happen twice on my '99. Once was when I was caught in a heavy rainstorm for a few hours. After it all dried out, it didn't happen again.

The next time was when I had a battery that was going bad. When it got low on voltage when I was riding, the LCD would fade out like that.

I got the bike back in the garage, and shut it off and turned it on a bunch of times, blinkers weren't slow, But when the flashers were on the neutral light also flashed, intermittently

Geez I hope its not the battery, I just replace this one because the last one went bad, will the trickle charger help or hinder?

A trickle charger can cause problems if it's left on too long. A battery tender would be better as it will stop charging once the battery is fully charged. How old was the previous battery when it died? If it was only a couple of years old, you may have a charging system problem or other electrical problem.

Andy

Not even a year like 8 months or so

Well that's definitely not normal. A well maintained good quality battery should last at least 4 years and some on this forum have gotten even more life out of them. Sounds like you've got a problem somewhere in your electrical system Something that keeps running the battery down (Which will shorten its life) or your charging system may be overcharging the battery and "cooking" it. Time to start running some tests to check the health of your charging system. As I previously mentioned, be very careful when using a trickle charger. They keep charging whether or not your battery still needs it and, over time, that can really shorten your battery life. A search on this forum should give you the numbers that you should be getting from your charging system ... you should probably be getting 13.5 to 14.5 volts at 1,000 rpm or so. If it's putting out more than 14.5, you may have a regulator problem.

Andy

Sorry for the delay after asking my question. It does seem that my suspect has already been given. Either the head (or something in the Radio system) is what I would lean toward.

If the system was doing this due to battery, my belief is that you would also see some dimming in the back light. (back light takes a little more power to burn that the LCD does) JMHO.

Having said that, I am kinda stumped with the Neutral Light situation. That I will have to think about a little more.

If you have not ridden in a good rain lately, I would probably let the Stealer look at it.

Now in the mean time, I am back to my cake! I will keeps digging for an answer.