IGNORED

I want better headlight BULB

jasonm.

10 years ago I put in a Xenon bulb. It was slightly better than stock. I am sticking w/ 55/60watt- NOT changing wattage. Many manufactures claim better / whiter light output. BUt I find some of this to be just advertising hype. So , what if any 55/60 bulb have any of you used that made an Obvious or dramatic difference in lighting up the road ? No- I am NOT changing to HID. I am only interested in doing a simple change.

I changed my 91 vr and the wifes 97 shadow to the syvania silerstar. Great difference but I think it had quite a bit more wattage usage. It was a simple change and was really noticed on the wifes bike. Plus when I changed the bulb it let me find out I needed a new headlight plug on the wifes bike as the original had dhorted and burned badly. New plug and buld and all was well

David

Check out the PIA H4. It's white and bright like the Silverstar Ultra.

But, seem to give me more life than the Silverstar's I went through.

(I usually buy the 2-pack off Amazon. Got 2 bikes.)

Looking just now, I see PIA has a new series, Night Tech, for about the same pair price.

Claims they have longer life too.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-10704-Night-Tech-Upgrade/dp/B00544ZD86/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1323039292&sr=1-4]Amazon.com: PIAA 10704 Night Tech 60/55 Watt H4 Upgrade Bulb - Pair: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51m8E7gb6eL.@@AMEPARAM@@51m8E7gb6eL[/ame]

I'll order a pair next time I put in my last extra bulb.

(Always keep a spare, even if it's the old stock bulb.)

Mike G

I have used the Silverstar Ultra and it's better than stock. I have friends that use the PIAA xtreme white part # 70456 specifically made for bikes and vibrations, this will be the one I go with when I change out my bulb on my '86. I have also rode bikes with the HID kits installed on them and they are decent too. I would go with a better quality HID kit though as many of the "cheaper" made ones have issues with the ballasts...

:2cents:

The PIAA antivibration bulbs are $63.74 a pair at Amazon with shipping.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-Xtreme-White-Anti-Vibration-Headlight/dp/B005DNO03C/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1323097143&sr=1-3]Amazon.com: PIAA H4 Xtreme White Plus Anti-Vibration Headlight Bulb - Twin Pack: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41qu2lsTdkL.@@AMEPARAM@@41qu2lsTdkL[/ame]

Think I'll pop for a pair of them for my 2 bikes and put the old bulbs somewhere on the bikes for spares.

I have used the Silverstar Ultra and it's better than stock. I have friends that use the PIAA xtreme white part # 70456 specifically made for bikes and vibrations, this will be the one I go with when I change out my bulb on my '86. I have also rode bikes with the HID kits installed on them and they are decent too. I would go with a better quality HID kit though as many of the "cheaper" made ones have issues with the ballasts...

:2cents:

another quote-

Check out the PIA H4. It's white and bright like the Silverstar Ultra.

But, seem to give me more life than the Silverstar's I went through.

(I usually buy the 2-pack off Amazon. Got 2 bikes.)

Looking just now, I see PIA has a new series, Night Tech, for about the same pair price.

Claims they have longer life too.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-10704-Night-Tech-Upgrade/dp/B00544ZD86/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1323039292&sr=1-4]Amazon.com: PIAA 10704 Night Tech 60/55 Watt H4 Upgrade Bulb - Pair: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51m8E7gb6eL.@@AMEPARAM@@51m8E7gb6eL[/ame]

another quote-

Many of us here swear by the Sylvania Silverstar ULTRA - it is an excellent choice. Just be sure not to buy a normal Silverstar - it must be an ULTRA for the brightest light and extended bulb life in a high-vibration environment.

Goose

you appear to be saying...the Sylvanias do not last long. FYI- I have only ONCE had a bulb go bad since 1980 , when Quartz - halogens became common on bkes. Anyone else had Sylvania's die early ? Guess the ULTRA is the only safe Sylvania...? Oh Sylvania has another ZXE or something like that?

Edited by jasonm.

Randy,

Might check your Amazon PIAA price for other listings. I see more like $50.92 free ship:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/15224-Style-Xtreme-White-100-Watt/dp/B00067BVDC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323100845&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: PIAA 15224 H4 Style Xtreme White 12V 60/55=110/100-Watt Bulb - Twin Pack: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31R31SKRT9L.@@AMEPARAM@@31R31SKRT9L[/ame]

I just went to Amzon and put "PIAA H4" in my search. Gave several bulbs and prices.

Other, Jason, my experience with the Silverstars was they were short lived on the HI beam. I use my HI beam ALOT during the day to be seen. I'm going to say my experience was with the SS Ultra but I didn't keep the dead soldiers to go back and look.

If Auto Zone was selling SS Ultra's 3 years ago, then that's probably what they were.

They were about $24 each. Never saw the LO beam burn out.

Mike G

The upgrade to the HID from Canadian Cruiser was done on my Venture 18 months ago thanks to Brother Squidley. No issues whatsoever and the bulb is still going strong. Not only does it light up the road but the roadsides as well.:thumbsup2:

I run high-beams during daylight hours but have to drop to low beam at night so as not to blind on-coming traffic.

Boomer....who sez a set of aircraft landing lights might do de job too.

Randy,

Might check your Amazon PIAA price for other listings. I see more like $50.92 free ship:

Amazon.com: PIAA 15224 H4 Style Xtreme White 12V 60/55=110/100-Watt Bulb - Twin Pack: Automotive

I just went to Amzon and put "PIAA H4" in my search. Gave several bulbs and prices.

Other, Jason, my experience with the Silverstars was they were short lived on the HI beam. I use my HI beam ALOT during the day to be seen. I'm going to say my experience was with the SS Ultra but I didn't keep the dead soldiers to go back and look.

If Auto Zone was selling SS Ultra's 3 years ago, then that's probably what they were.

They were about $24 each. Never saw the LO beam burn out.

Mike G

different bulb. The one I quoted was the powersports anti-vibration bulb that Squidley recommended.

The useful life of a bulb is not just till it burns out. Bulbs get dimmer with age. I just replaced the headlights in my truck and after just 6 months I noticed that the light output was very weak. The new headlights came with some really cheap halogen bulbs. New bulbs and they are back to being bright. The Silverstars that I have run in my truck were noticeably dimmer after about 18 months. New Silverstars made them bright again.

If your headlight bulb was 10 years old, anything will be brighter than what you have just because it is new and fresh.

Go HID from Canadian Cruiser Customizing. Cheap, Easy to install, Very reliable

Heh. My Silverstar Ultra lasted approximately 60,000 miles longer than the CCC HID, which failed inside a month. It was also nearly as bright and looked much better without a visible ballast and igniter (I have an RSTD). Of the three points you made, one was true: the CCC HID was reasonably cheap. Glad it works for you though.

+1 on the Silverstar Ultra, although I am open-minded towards the PIAA.

Dave

Amazon.com: PIAA H4 Xtreme White Plus Anti-Vibration Headlight Bulb - Twin Pack: Automotive

Think I'll pop for a pair of them for my 2 bikes and put the old bulbs somewhere on the bikes for spares.

Randy... will the Amazon PIAA H4s you posted work in our Ventures?

I did not find the PIAA number 70456 that was posted by Squidley on the package.:think:

you appear to be saying...the Sylvanias do not last long. FYI- I have only ONCE had a bulb go bad since 1980 , when Quartz - halogens became common on bkes. Anyone else had Sylvania's die early ? Guess the ULTRA is the only safe Sylvania...? Oh Sylvania has another ZXE or something like that?

The Silverstar ULTRA is specifically labeled to have both a brighter light and a thicker filament for longer life in vibration environments than the regular Silverstar.

There have been a few people here complain about not getting a long life from Silverstar bulbs - I suspect it may have been because they did not buy the ULTRA, but I have no way of knowing. I DO know that my Ultra has been in for 5 years and 100,000 miles with no problems at all. There may be many other bulbs just as good, but my experience with the Silverstar ULTRA has been perfect, so that is what I use and recommend.

Goose

Randy... will the Amazon PIAA H4s you posted work in our Ventures?

I did not find the PIAA number 70456 that was posted by Squidley on the package.:think:

I should know in a couple days. I ordered a pair of them. I believe this is a pair (2) of the correct PIAA's

There is only one PIAA H4 Extreme White anti-vibration. 70456 = single, 70856 = two of them.

http://www.piaa.com/Powersports/bulbs.html

I have not compared the various types of headlight bulbs, so am just rolling the dice and hoping I made a good choice to get a brighter than stock headlight.

Maybe we could have a pond monster spotting contest at Freebird's MD next year with the various types of headlamps available.??

Edited by RandyR

There is only one PIAA H4 Extreme White anti-vibration. 70456 = single, 70856 = two of them.

I hadn't seen that Randy.....Thanks.......They're Ordered

http://www.piaa.com/Powersports/bulbs.html

Maybe we could have a pond monster spotting contest at Freebird's MD next year with the various types of headlamps available.??

Now that could be very interesting.....

Amazon.com: PIAA H4 Xtreme White Plus Anti-Vibration Headlight Bulb - Twin Pack: Automotive

Just ordered the 2 pack off amazon, thanks for that link Randy

:thumbsup2: