IGNORED

Newbie help on purchase 99

Kennedyford

I joined because Im really interested in a bike. Mine was just crushed last week in the parking lot. Im looking at this for my upgrade.

1999 Yamaha® XVZ13 ROYAL STAR with 69,000 miles. Has a towing hitch on it, air horns single seat. Guy traded it in for a new Honda touring.

Im worried about the miles on these engines. Please enlighten me if this is a great purchase. Price...really low.

I dont want to post the link to the sight because I dont want to miss out on this great deal. Under 4k.

Like Dan said, check for proper maintenance. 69k is nothing for these bikes. Check the rear shock to see if its leaking fluid around the shock boot. They are a bit of a problem sometimes for these bikes. Some have held up fine while others have gone bad early. My original lasted 10 years before it crapped out. Does it feel stable at speed or does it wobble. Most time it just need the front fork bearings tightened. Do all the electronics work? Check that its charging properly and the condition of the battery. Under 4k is a great price as long as the bike checks out. Also check to make sure the ad isnt a scam ad. Yes, there have been a few of those pop up from time to time showing a really great looking Venture at a ridiculous price. If it all checks out you wont go wrong with one of these bikes. God luck and keep us up to date.

Im worried about the miles on these engines. Please enlighten me if this is a great purchase. Price...really low.

I dont want to post the link to the sight because I dont want to miss out on this great deal. Under 4k.

Don't worry about the miles, and any price under 4 grand for a clean '99 Star Venture is good. Just make sure the tires are good, and no oil leaks are visible. Figure you're going to have to change all the fluids as SOP.

Is it a Venture (with top box, fairing, and CB radio) or an early Royal Star with just a windshield up front?

At $4k the Venture would be a better buy than a Royal Star.

Yea, I shoulda picked up on that when he mentioned "single seat". :smile5:

My bad. I thought a XVZ13 was a Venture...

Single seat though..... why? Will it still accept a pillion seat for a passenger or were the mounts modified?

Other than that.... take it for a spin and listen for a clutch whine.

Like other's have said, check to make sure the electronics work, I'd look under the seat to see how the trailer was wired in, look for leaking oil under the rear shock (replacement will cost you around $700 I believe).

If you can... take a look at a new one in a showroom - no difference between a 2012 and 1999 model ! Hey.... another benefit of Yamaha not making changes ! This way you can compare and see if anything is missing or looks out of place.

Check trunk and side bags for cracks as well.

I just did a look up on the xvz13 royal star,it is a one seater,no bags or windshield. $4000.00 is maybe a bit high. 99 RSV with 70000 plus miles are going for $4000.00 and up. Thier was a guy here in central NY selling one with 70000k for $3500.00.Had light cosmedic damage.

I think you should be able to distinguish a good bike by the visibale condition and hearing ,rideing the usual once over. If its in great condition under 4K would be a fair price depending on tires or any visual repairs that it may need. You just need to be comfortable with YOUR decision. The shocks on the R/S has not been an issue that I am aware of but the RSV is another story.

Blue and white or black in color?