OK my 2 cents. Oil. Use diesel oil, inexpensive and works wonderful. Tires. IMHO the Dunlop E-3's wear like iron and handle terrific! There have been a few complaints about the Avons as of late, but then ago there were tons of complaints about the Metzlers a few years ago as tar as defects go...

• 3 weeks later...

A few more questions :)

1. Those with HiD headlight bulbs. Are you using a bulb with a Graves Shield? The one I've fitted has the shield those in my car do not and appear superior with regards light projection on to the road.

2. Is anyone using the spin on oil filter adapter offered by Buckeye?

3. I've been looking at the images on this site of Ventures with the side covers cut away to show more of the engine. Is this preferable in hot climates? If so what is the best way to cut them (Can they be cut and look good without re-painting?

Thank you

Trevor

I have the spin-on adaptor on my '84. Nice mod. Makes oil changes as simple as you can get. Easy to install and just a few minutes to swap a filter. And there are several filters you can choose from.

As far as cutting down the side covers, I don't think it's needed for cooling as much as it is a personal choice for looks. Being a water cooled motor temps will be about the same opened up or closed over. I have the side covers with the insert to close off the holes along with the lower chin over the spin-on and no issues with the engine running hot in any weather.

I have the Bikini cut side covers on mine. They actually help cool the motor a little more in my opinion. I do feel a little more heat coming from the motor on my upper legs than before the side cover mod, but it is not real bad. It does give the bike a new look.

I used a band saw with a fine tooth blade. You will probably need to touch up the cut lines so they are not obvious.

The lower side cover strap needs to be reworked.

I removed the braces that runs along the mid line of the motor from front to back and I haven't noticed any bad effects from it. I did put solid motor mounts in and an upgraded fork brace that probably compensated for the braces removal. I have functionally stress tested it a few times.

The front knee plastic & cross bar in front of radiator were also eliminated.

RandyA, Thom and a bike in California are the only ones I have seen with this done. I just followed in their footsteps with this change. If you do it, the motor is much more obvious. I went with flat black paint on the block & heads to try to make it look better than the aluminum.

Few pictures attached.

Gary

OK my 2 cents. Oil. Use diesel oil, inexpensive and works wonderful.

Such as the Mystik JT8 synthetic blend 15w50 I just dumped in mine? :D I happened to notice it go on sale at a local retailer so I bought up 4 gallons. Should last me a year or two probably.

A few more questions :)

3. I've been looking at the images on this site of Ventures with the side covers cut away to show more of the engine. Is this preferable in hot climates? If so what is the best way to cut them (Can they be cut and look good without re-painting?

Trevor

Trevor, on my '86 VR, I went to the trouble to find working side covers. I find that with the vents open, I get noticeably more heat on my legs, so I close them off in the summer, and open them in the winter. It is not a huge difference, and many like the look of the engine through the opening. I doubt it makes any real difference in cooling of the engine though, there is plenty of room for air to move around the engine and air cooling isn't of any real help in a full water cooled engine.

Thanks again to all for the input.

The images presented throw up a couple more questions

Who sell those aluminum covers for the rear brake cylinder?

Who sells the rear carriers seen on the top boxes of some of the bikes?

Thanks

Trevor

PS I've removed the graves shield from my HiD headlight bulb and will let you know the difference (or the number of miles I do before getting a ticket for excessive glare :)

Trevor:

Nice website you have created.

The "aluminum covers for the rear brake cylinder" is a chrome metal replacement for the stock plastic. Like most accessories for the First Generation Ventures, they are only available as used takeoffs. There is hardly anything in the way of "safety chrome" being made or sold new today. Like it or not, eBay is probably the only place to find the vintage accessories.

The same thing about the rear carriers on the top boxes: good luck finding it new or used. Again, try eBay. I finally found one for my 1990 (although, I have yet to receive it) after nearly a year of looking.

Thanks for the web site comments. I used to be quite active on it less so at the moment.

Yes I'll have to keep a look out for the covers and a rack.

General statement: Not too happy with the HiD light. I've tried it with and without the Graves Shield over the filament.

Still has dark spots on the road ahead particularly on high beam.

Reading and researching. These things are to be expected when one changes to a different type of filament in a parabolic designed for something else (a Halogen bulb).

I guess a pair of driving lights are in my near future....

Need to get the windshield cut down too. That will help night sight by cutting down glare. Of course need to fit a set of progressive front springs before I do that or I'll get to do it twice!

Thanks

TH