IGNORED

Cruise control, help please

There are a couple things that can happen with the cruise... if it slows down gradually to over 5 mph from it's set point it will kick off (vacuum leak on the cruise vacuum pump).

If it just kicks out of "set" then one of three switches have been triggered... clutch, front brake and back break. The most common is for the clutch to not be really out all the way (weak spring) and the vibration bounces the lever and momentarily flips the switch... try it again but holding the clutch lever out fully...

If all of the cruise lights drop out, you have a dirty "cruise cancel" switch that needs cleaning.

Mike

My Venture '86 Royale cruise control is acting up. While on the highway I set it on and five seconds later it disengages itself. Any suggestions?

Probably at the cutch switch. Try holding the handle fully out with a couple of fingers, then engage the cruise. It should stay engaged with the fingers holding the lever out. If so, then it will be a question of determining if it is the switch itself, worn lever & bushings or if the clutch system needs a closer look.

There are other switches that can cause it to cut out as well, but not as common.

:080402gudl_prv:

It is on the front of the clutch lever housing. About 3/4" dia. See if switch is fully engaged into housing and has no movement in or out.

How much up & down movement is there at the far end of the clutch lever? By this I mean the movement other than the free play when the lever is pulled to engage clutch. This excess movement can come from a worn bushing in the lever where the pivot screw passes through it.

Gary

Not to highjack the thread but My 88 also has no cruise. When I hit the power button, it cycles thru all the lights...then nothing happens!

If I push the set button...nothing.

So...where do I start?

Also, is it possible to check and fix the cruise control while in the shop?