IGNORED

first cold day and bike runs like crap until warm

ok so i ahad this situatino last year with bike not warming up well. Warm wweather started and bike runs like a champ. Synched and idled correctly atill had popping on decel.

tried the mixture screws with the idle drop procedure and all pilots acted as if they were clean. Now first cold day and 4 miles before she warms up completely. I start her on full chole and high odle for 1 minute then let her low idle for 2 start pulling off on half choke and she starts coughing and spitting and I have to feather the clutch manytimes to keep her from stalling.

What is wrong here?

Guest tx2sturgis

Check the idle speed adjustment, its a knob under the right side of the tank. Then check the carb heaters...make sure they are working.

When it is cold out, I have to use about 3/4 choke to keep it running till it gets warmed up good.

As it gets colder it is normal to need more choke. At least it always was that way back in the day when cars had a manual choke and on every bike I have ever owned.

Yes, except no counterbalancer to give it vibes (on purpose) and about 30 less horsepower. Not sure what Yamaha was thinking there.

Not really asking about vibes or hp rating... more refering to the carb linkage set up and pre-heater??...

Guest tx2sturgis

Ok...my mistake in assuming there is an idle speed knob on the right side. It may be on the left, under the rear wheel, or in the saddlebags. It could be in your tool box.

Wherever it is or isnt...check the idle speed. Some bikes seem to need a bit more idle RPMs in the winter.

And I also assumed there are carb heaters, but maybe not. If not, a small propane torch will work, or even a Zippo...since they are windproof.

:stirthepot:

Ok...my mistake in assuming there is an idle speed knob on the right side. It may be on the left, under the rear wheel, or in the saddlebags. It could be in your tool box.

Wherever it is or isnt...check the idle speed. Some bikes seem to need a bit more idle RPMs in the winter.

And I also assumed there are carb heaters, but maybe not. If not, a small propane torch will work, or even a Zippo...since they are windproof.

:stirthepot:

Now I'm really confused... But i do still have a zippo laying arond here somewhere, so I'm good.... Let it snow...:snow2:

My 85 runs like crap until it warms up, I was out today in about 50f temps and needed the choke on for about 10 minutes. It has always been this way and the only time I dont need choke is when its about 90f or more.

So I am thinking your issue might be a Yama issue after talking with quite a few of the guys in here.

Brian

I wasnt being picky, I was trying to answer the thought of a carb heater. My seup is a lil different and there is no cab heater. So how exactlt is installing a propane torch by my wheel well gonna solve this issue?.

Ill give it a shot, should I duct tape it to the pipes?.

My 85 runs like crap until it warms up, I was out today in about 50f temps and needed the choke on for about 10 minutes. It has always been this way and the only time I dont need choke is when its about 90f or more.

So I am thinking your issue might be a Yama issue after talking with quite a few of the guys in here.

Brian

I think thats what I said. Tape torch to pipes?? You are joking I hope. That might fix your problem and any others you have..... My 85 just likes to take its time warming up. 86 is a little better but not much.

So i think I have my answer. The bike is just cold blooded. Guess i will be purchasing a second bike for winter commuting to work. I thik a nice dual sport will do nicely.

KLR 650 maybe.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I live 20 minutes from work and it takes almost 15 to warm up fully. It really sucks to be making a turn in an intersection when your bike stalls.

So i think I have my answer. The bike is just cold blooded. Guess i will be purchasing a second bike for winter commuting to work. I thik a nice dual sport will do nicely.

KLR 650 maybe.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I live 20 minutes from work and it takes almost 15 to warm up fully. It really sucks to be making a turn in an intersection when your bike stalls.

Mine does take a while to warm up but not that bad. I would be looking at tune-up.

I start mine as soon as I get it out of the shed and let it run on full choke while I get dressed to ride. 2 minutes max.

I then lower the choke till it gets down to around 1500 rpm to get it in gear without the big clunk, then I close the choke back to 3/4 to full depending on how cold it is. I have to be very careful taking off from stops for the first half mile so that it does not stall, after that it runs fine, as soon as the temp gauge starts to move, about 2 miles, I can take the choke off completely and all is good for the rest of trip to work.

Yes she is a cold blooded beast, but once she gets warmed up she likes to be ridden.

Any chance that someone has removed the thermostat in your bike or maybe its stuck open?? If the thermostat is removed or stuck it will take a long time for the engine to warm up when its cold out. As a temporary check you could partially cover the radiator to see if it warms up faster, runs better sooner.

Have you checked for air leaks around the intake manifolds? When its cold things shrink.

Should not take 15 minutes for bike to warm up to run off the choke.

RSTDdog