IGNORED

Need advice for next project...

DANGEROUSDANA

My RSV has had a backfiring problem, since I went from aftermarket back to stock pipes. It has been my number one priority to resolve this issue. Well, my sync tool came in yesterday and I synchronized the carbs. What an easy job! They were way out of adjustment. I rode the bike to work this morning with NO Backfires! Unbelievable!

On to the next project...

When I bought my 2000 RSV three weeks ago, the helmet speakers and mic booms and cords were in a bag and the guy said he never used them. When I inspected them, they were majorly dry rotted. (must have been stored in a hot garage.) So, I would like to buy new helmet speakers and mic booms and associated wiring and a couple of helmets that this equipment would fit comfortably in. Can you guys point me in the right direction?

Thank you, kindly...

dana

My RSV has had a backfiring problem, since I went from aftermarket back to stock pipes. It has been my number one priority to resolve this issue. Well, my sync tool came in yesterday and I synchronized the carbs. What an easy job! They were way out of adjustment. I rode the bike to work this morning with NO Backfires! Unbelievable!

On to the next project...

When I bought my 2000 RSV three weeks ago, the helmet speakers and mic booms and cords were in a bag and the guy said he never used them. When I inspected them, they were majorly dry rotted. (must have been stored in a hot garage.) So, I would like to buy new helmet speakers and mic booms and associated wiring and a couple of helmets that this equipment would fit comfortably in. Can you guys point me in the right direction?

Thank you, kindly...

dana

That is great that you were able to cure the popping and afterfires so easily - very happy for you. Just goes to show that you were lucky that some bozo in the bike's past life had not disconnected the AIS - it was telling you that something was wrong with your bike, so you fixed it. Without that early warning, who knows how long you would have been riding it thinking that everything was fine while it could have been so much more smooth and efficient.

Anyway, your source for all things headset and helmet related should start with Sierra Electronics. They have great prices and excellent service. They even sell the popular helmets with the headsets already installed at no extra cost.

I am personally impressed with the Nolan N103 with the J&M headsets, but make sure you actually try on any helmet you are considering in a shop before you order on-line. The Nolan N103 in particular has much less chin room and a bit less forehead space than some other brands of modular helmets.

I do not know what brand of headsets and cords you already have, or if you want to try and use any of them to save a bit of money (the cords are NOT cheap). J&M headsets are the most common, and they are high quality. But be aware that J&M has changed the shape of the connectors on the short cords several times over the years, so be very careful to look closely at what you have and what you are looking to buy before you assume they will fit. If you are not trying to re-use anything, then make sure you take a look at Edset headsets too - many people are very impressed with them, and I think their cords have a lifetime warranty. Unfortunately, I do not think Sierra caries that brand, so you will have to look them up separately.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose
Correct stupid brain fart on Headset brand

First - what type of helmet are you looking at - full face, modular, 3/4, or brain bucket?

Second - once the type is selected, what brand are you interested in (price range)?

Third - Make sure it fits.

I agree with the J&M brand headsets. Had previously used Chatterbox but was unimpressed with their quality (had two of them fail within a year). The J&M systems have held up well for several years and many, many miles.

Everybody's head is shaped a little different. Helmets are different shapes also. Different brands and/or models will be more or less round/oval. Make sure your helmet fits comfortably and it will provide many years of welcome protection.

If your local dealer doesn't have a good selection of helmets, try going to the International Motorcycle Show. There, you can try on all different types, brands, models, and sizes. The closest to you is in Dallas December 2-4.

J&M sells helmets with their headsets installed (as do others). They sell from the Aria (expensive and very nice) to the Vega (relatively inexpensive - no experience with quality) and a few in between.

RR

First you will have to decide what type of helmet(s) you want to use. As already stated, you and your signifigant other must visit one or more outlets for motorcycle helmets. Hopefully you will find a person knowledgable in fitting and guiding you to the right choices. After deciding which type, color, vented/unvented, etc., make sure to try on many. The proper shape and fit are important.

Most intercom suppliers will have different models available for the different styles of helmets and you must specify which style you are using. Some have more than one level of performance (also different levels of $). It sounds as though you may want to get brand new head sets, and they will include installation instructions and warranty.

We have chosen the HJC IS33 helmets and the Chatterbox brand intercom sets. The IS33 has built in face shield, sun glasses (a visor thing) and vents. These choices were pretty much middle-of-the-road for cost and quality.These particular helmets run a little small, I wound up with a XXLarge size, whereas with some others a Large fit OK.

With most intercom sets you may encounter some wind noise being transmitted through the microphones. Some threads here discuss this problem and some possible remedies.

Good luck on your quest for adequate, affordable protection.