IGNORED

Smart Phone instead of GPS???

Hey guys,

Just wondering how many of you out there are using a smart phone instead of a dedicated GPS. After all, there's only so much room on our handlebars, and you can't beat the functionality of a smartphone.

I'm using a smaller smartphone on my bike-it's about 2/3 the size of an I-Phone type phone. I wanted a smaller one so it would definitely fit on the handlebars and so I would still have room for my cupholder. The phone only cost $50 through Metro PCS and has all the usual Android features. Another great thing about the smaller phone is I was able to get a cheap phone holder at Wally World for about $8. I removed the back (designed to insert into an automotive AC vent), then used two zip ties to attach it to the handlebars. A lot less expensive than a Ram-type mount and uses up way less space too!

I use a patch cord to hook it up to the accessory jack on the cassette player and everything plays right through the speakers. Of course I can play it through my helmet speakers too. It all works great. So instead of just GPS I can also play Pandora internet radio (for free) unlike XM. And of course you can play all of your MP3 music through it. And I can also make calls through the helmet microphone and helmet speakers. It will also voice dial for you. Only thing is I haven't perfected is the right intercom volume to be able to hear and be heard by the caller but will still reduce windnoise to a manageable level.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating using the phone often while riding, I think it's too dangerous. But for occasional use on a country road it's pretty cool to have the ability to do so if you're very careful.

And of course on top of all that you've got the camera on the phone handy whenever you want to use it!

I'm sure there's a lot of guys way smarter than me already doing this...I just wanted to throw it out there.

Ride Safe,

1/2crazedbikr

I got lost in the woods with no signsor sense of direction. No phone signal I was kicking myself for leaving my gps on my nightstand.

Thi was a great clear day and although being lost was a pain, the ride as a grea time. I can imagine how upset I would be if it were raining. GPS or Smart Phone can fail at anytime. A good old fashioned road map will never have to update, or search for a signal. I love my smart phone and love my GPS but I must have al 3 with me .

I went with the smart phone instead of a new GPS.

It links to my Parrot Blue tooth head set. I have radio, mp3, phone, and now GPS support in my wireless headset.

I did all of the things necessary to get the bike's on-board sound system just right and I never use it. It was worth it though. I like my bike being just right.

I like to roam into new areas when I ride, so getting lost has become a habit. Didn't always have a GPS (And don't always bring it anyway) so I do keep a compass and a map handy. At least that way I can point myself in a direction that will eventually lead me to some place I recognize. Actually a bit more fun that way...for me, at least. There's more of a challenge doing it the old fashioned way, but that's just me.

Andy

I was reading the other day about ten items that will probably not exist within the next ten years. The stand alone GPS was at the top of the list.

With the developements in the Smartphones the need for a dedicated GPS system will be greatly reduced and more than likely eliminate the need for it all together.

But from what I understand, currerent cell phone GPS apps are based on cell tower locations, and not satellite fed info. That would cause some issues with accuracy with current methods. But I'm sure there will be considerable improvements in the next few years.

But what do I know. I still carry a flip phone. :bang head:

Mike

I was reading the other day about ten items that will probably not exist within the next ten years. The stand alone GPS was at the top of the list.

With the developements in the Smartphones the need for a dedicated GPS system will be greatly reduced and more than likely eliminate the need for it all together.

But from what I understand, currerent cell phone GPS apps are based on cell tower locations, and not satellite fed info. That would cause some issues with accuracy with current methods. But I'm sure there will be considerable improvements in the next few years.

Mike

Given the fact that there are still "dead areas" with no cell phone coverage, I would think that the satellite based GPS system will be with us for quite a while yet. The various carriers are in no rush to pay to put up towers where there is no one to pay for them. The other advantage to the satellite based system is that it can't be disrupted by earthquakes, tornadoes etc. Still, it will prove interesting to see how they overcome these deficiencies.

In the meantime, I've still got my Gps, "regular" cell phone and a compass. Now where did I put that old provincial map?

Andy

That is the one rub with the whole smart phone thing.

We use Metro PCS (their coverage areas are smaller then the other guys) and the other day we were using my smart phone in our F150 (actually on our way to buy my, new to me, 2nd Venture) :Venture:and going across the state. We went through some areas that were definitely out of service but it actually seemed like the phone GPS kept working. At least I'm pretty sure it showed us progressing over the road.

But we were on the same road for 35 miles so it didn't have to give any directions during that period. Whether it would have or not I don't know. After all, the GPS signal does come from satellites, so if the GPS app is stored on the phone...it might work. :confused07: I just don't know yet. I'll have to use it in some areas when I definitely don't get any service and really pay attention this time and see if it works. I'll just need to put in a location for it to find that is definitely in an out of service area I guess.

Anyway, they are great for motorcycles, in my opinion. Esp. when you see what a new Zumo costs. And they don't even have a camera.

Ride safe,

1/2crazedbikr

Guest tx2sturgis

Mike

You got that partially right. The GPS receiver in most modern smartphones actually has a true satellite GPS receiver, but it is augmented or 'assisted' by the closest few cell towers. This is called aGPS, or Assisted Global Positioning System.

The short version is that the smartphone gets a 'boost' in speed and location fix by polling the nearest cell tower and getting some basic location information, then uses its built-in GPS receiver to further refine the actual location, assuming the user leaves it on long enough.

This helps with battery life, and location information indoors, or in an urban jungle.

Those apps can actually use the onboard GPS receiver even when zero cell towers are in range, it just takes longer sometimes, especially if the phone has been turned off and moved hundreds of miles, as might be the case for airtravel.

I prefer a stand alone GPS unit most of the time, but occasionaly use the various iPhone GPS apps.

I strictly use my iPhone for Navigation/speedometer/music.

When I am going to use it for Nav I always review the route before I leave.

I also carry an atlas in the trunk just in case or to plan a route if I just want to wander in a specific direction. If all else fails and I get lost, well so what, I will get to see something new I guess.

I have the Motorola X which I think has the largest screen 4.3" dia. This is the main reason for me choosing it and on sale at Costco with Verizon as the carrier. I have my music, GPS and hands free phone that will ring in on top of any other function thru the speakers. I had another biker that was two car lengths behind me when my wife called then at the next light they had moved up beside me as asked if that was my phone that that they heard? BTW I use a 100w Shark amp.

Just got a smartphone and am still learning about it but my plan is to hook it up on the scoot if for nothing else but to play tunes and be able to use it's GPS and phone.

Got me a HTC Desire HD running Android ... really cool ... I like it!

I have a Garmin Nuvi and a Motorola Droid. The nuvi is my choice when planning a long ride and wanting to build my own route. The smartphone navigation is pretty limited when you don't want to go the fastest OR shortest route, but want to travel the curviest most scenic routes instead. I can build my own custom routes on my pc then export those routes to my Garmin. Can't export them into my smartphone.

However, if I am in a strange city and want to find a restaurant or other attraction, I use the smartphone's navigation. I can just speak to it, it finds what I want, and takes me there. And it is usually more accurate since it uses Google to do the search and then the most current Google maps to guide me there.

If all of my navigation needs were limited to just the "best" way to get there (in Google's opinion) then I'd use only the smartphone. Having both devices is the best of both worlds IMO.

But from what I understand, currerent cell phone GPS apps are based on cell tower locations, and not satellite fed info.

You can purchase Co-Pilot. It installs maps on your phone so there's no need for cell coverage. Works fine when you don't have a cell signal since the maps are on your phone and its using the GPS sats.

Google maps relies on your cell coverage to feed you the maps as your moving.

This is actually my favorite GPS. I used it for years before I got my Smartphone. It is so simple it doesn't require an instruction manual, or help menu. The display is large, unaffected by bright sunlight, and easy to read, even when bombing down the interstate at 80 mph. It will run forever without a charge.

I can load my route of choice the night before in my hotel room, or even weeks before in the comfort of my home. It doesn't require you to lug around fancy input devices like a laptop, tablet or USB cables. As a matter of fact the input device can be bought at any convenience store for less than $2.00.

Best of all, I don't have to worry about some cager stealing it when I go into a store.

Here it is in action on the way back from Sturgis last summer.

attachment.php?attachmentid=62099&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1320147439

I call it my Redneck GPS (stands for Geographical Paper System). She's never steered me wrong over many thousands of miles. And she doesn't yell at me when she doesn't like the route I'm taking! :cool10::cool10::cool10:

But I will say that when I get close to my destination, my Smartphone would be a lot better at finding an actual address.

Ride Safe,

1/2crazedbikr

Edited by 1/2crazedbikr

This is actually my favorite GPS. I used it for years before I got my Smartphone. It is so simple it doesn't require an instruction manual, or help menu. The display is large, unaffected by bright sunlight, and easy to read, even when bombing down the interstate at 80 mph. It will run forever without a charge.

I can load my route of choice the night before in my hotel room, or even weeks before in the comfort of my home. It doesn't require you to lug around fancy input devices like a laptop, tablet or USB cables. As a matter of fact the input device can be bought at any convenience store for less than $2.00.

Best of all, I don't have to worry about some cager stealing it when I go into a store.

Here it is in action on the way back from Sturgis last summer.

attachment.php?attachmentid=62099&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1320147439

I call it my Redneck GPS (stands for Geographical Paper System). She's never steered me wrong over many thousands of miles. And she doesn't yell at me when she doesn't like the route I'm taking! :cool10::cool10::cool10:

But I will say that when I get close to my destination, my Smartphone would be a lot better at finding an actual address.

Ride Safe,

1/2crazedbikr

If your whole trip is on I-90, why do you even need a map???:whistling::stirthepot::confused24: