IGNORED

Need a part number for vacuum plugs.

I want to replace the vacuum plugs on the carburetors of my 2000 RSV. I have stared at the carburetor parts fiche for too long and I don't see the plugs. I know, if I can't find them, my local Yamaha Parts person is likely not to be able either. It would behoove me to call them with an exact part number, prior to my visit.

I know I can get them at an automotive parts store, but the ones at O'Reilly's look cheap, and they have a smaller outside diameter, so the original clamps are too big.

Thanks,

dana

This is what I did, dont need the clamps as it is a vacume so they are not gonna blow off.

I think spring clips on these vacuum caps are still needed. This engine seems particularly susceptible to vacuum leaks on these caps when the rubber gets old and hard - new smaller spring clips to match the generic vacuum caps is a very minor expense and well worth it in my opinion.

Goose

BTW - even these generic vacuum caps begin to crack and leak at two years, just like the stock caps to, so do not neglect to replace them as needed.

oh, ok..... they have been on about 6 months, and no problems, but may go ahead and put clamps on them, they seemed so tight that i wouldn`t think they could leak, but never know... thanks, for the heads up..

I think spring clips on these vacuum caps are still needed. This engine seems particularly susceptible to vacuum leaks on these caps when the rubber gets old and hard - new smaller spring clips to match the generic vacuum caps is a very minor expense and well worth it in my opinion.

Goose

BTW - even these generic vacuum caps begin to crack and leak at two years, just like the stock caps to, so do not neglect to replace them as needed.

I always replace them about every other carb syn. By then they are showing begining signs of cracking. The heat will cause the smaller thickness caps to crack sooner then the factory ones. As cheap as they are I just replace them. Never have used a clamp either.

Larry

Edited by Carbon_One

I have better luck with the oem blind plugs than others. Even here in dry NM I've never had one crack on me, but I do replace them anyways every three years. I just R&R'd mine last month after 3.5 years. I checked them out real good to see what condition they were in before I threw them away, and they were not visibly cracked. I kind of feel like the oem plugs are a better quality than what I've found in the chinese auto parts stores. Those cheap plugs don't last long in this high desert air. But those Yam oem plugs are hardy things, and stand up well.