IGNORED

Fuel Off/No Switch - Brass Fitting

GolfVenture

Ok so being that my New2Me 91 VR has only 6700 miles, I decided to drain the gas tank. Being that I had a heck of time doing that with my 89VR at the fuel filter, I decided it would be easier to do it at the Fuel Off/On switch on my 91VR.

So I removed the hose clamp and then broke some of the seal from the rubber to the brass fitting, the hose would not come off. So I pried and pried at the hose until it finally came out.

Well what came out was the brass fitting from the fuel Off/No switch.

With some more digging the brass fitting finally broke loose from the hose. Well on the brass fitting there were some hose particles. Which means that I will need to clip off the end of the hose where the pieces of hose came off.

I took some steel wool and got the rubber off the brass fitting.

I drained the tank by using a 2 ft long fuel line and put it over the one end of the brass fitting and then gently placed the other end back into the fuel Off/On switch. Then drained the gas into the can.

So now I need to get the brass fitting back into the Fuel Off/On switch. Now all the while draining the tank I only pushed and held the brass fitting into the Fuel switch and not a single drop of fuel leaked from the brass fitting. The brass fitting only went in a little bit and has more room to go into the fuel switch.

My though is that I should be able to use some permatex gasket sealer (used on fuel sending units) and then press it all the way back into the fuel Off/On switch.

So my question is, does my fix seem workable, or is there a better fix?

I never drained gas by any means other than riding.

Look at the brass tube real close to see if maybe it was originally soldered into the fitting.

If it was soldered in then I would solder it back in. The RTV may or may not hold it. It would be a real bummer to have it come out while riding and drain all that gas onto the exhaust pipe.

If it was originally pressed in then you should be good with your plan.

Do not try to solder on the tank unless you know what you are doing. An empty gas tank can be a BOMB when you apply heat if you do not get rid of the fumes correctly.

I don't normally drain the tank eithor, however I've read & heard that water settles to the bottom and when one rides on the normal tank and not reserve that the tank can rust from water at the bottom over the years.

Well if others dont drain their tanks maybe I won't eithor.

I do not see any solder on the brass tube and it will take some pressure to get it all the way in.

If you use SeaFoam regularly then there is no water in the bottom of your tank whether you run reserve or not.

It is so hard to switch from main to reserve or back, that I leave it in reserve all of the time so that I do not have to worry about braking something while trying to turn the selector.

I use a dose of Seafoam as recommended on the can every other tank if I am riding a lot or every tank if the bike is sitting long between runs.

One of the properties of Seafoam is to absorb any water in the gas and send it on thru before it gets to be enough to cause a problem.

• 4 years later...

There are Filter Screens, inside, mounted on the Valve. To Repace the valve if that is necessary, you will have to ORDER All new parts. As I recall,

there are 4 or 5 pieces, including the new screens that you will have to order. Includeing new gaskets,

Take a look at the Parts Fitch, in the Yamaha parts manuel, so see how all the pieces go together. ( check any Yamaha dealer web site, you can pull up

the parts listing to get all the part numbers )

Also good time to replace the rubber hose from the Petcock, across to the fuel filter. ( Rubber hose, might be getting rotten with age )

Thanks for the post . I read it a few days ago when I was rebuilding the petcock in the Venture.

So today working on the RSTD the brass nipple pulled out.

You guys all saved me from having an OH **** moment.

I pushed it and gave it a little tap with a rubber mallet it it was fixed

Glad to be a member.