IGNORED

uh oh, clunking and jerking 2nd gear!

nothing with any other gear. just jerky on heavy accel with second, today, it clunked hard. sounded like it was behind me.

Umm That may not be 2nd gear..2nd usually just pops out and then wont stay in gear so you just shift from 1st to 3rd gear. @nd usually doesnt give any other noises, it just wont stay in gear.

What youre describing kinda sounds like the middle gear assy going south. I would check the area just where the ujoint is and where the shaft exits the transmission. I would wiggle the shaft, check for end play and for too much free play. You may have the pinion gear gone inside the trans if it sounds like its coming from behind you.

how do i expose what your showing me? sorry, i really dont have much experience with this.

There is a rubber boot at the back of the engine with a ujoint that your driveshaft mates up with. I think your issue may be that your pinion developed some slack in the gearset and possibly have stripped the teeth and they occasionally are skipping under load. When mine went it kind of sounded like gears stripping and it would only do it under load at first, winthin a day or 2 it escalated to where all the teeth were stripped and broken and I had no forward motion at all. I have heard that it can be done if you catch it early by taking the back wheel out and removing the broken pinion gear, (but if the gear inside is broken it means the engine will have to come out.)

I didnt do the mechanic work on my bike, Rocket in here was kind enough to find out what my bikes issue was and diagnosed it.

I would just check inside the rubber boot for rotational free play and for ennd to end play. Maybe even put the bike on the center stand and spin the tire by hand while holding the ujoint to see how much free play.

Brian

Brian

Edited by friesman

Brian, I doubt if that's his problem, since he says it only happens in 2nd gear. Pinion problems would show up in any gear. I'll bet he is having the famous 2nd gear issue. Do a search in the 1st Gen tech section, and you'll find lots of info about this problem.

well, when i rode it home, i noticed a jerking on heavier accel in second. when i acceled fast in second, it sounded like a crunching and hard jerking in second. sounded like it was behind my left foot. thought for sure i left some parts behind me! i rode it slowly home, and no issues with any gears. but man, it didnt sound good when i rode it hard.

Brian, I doubt if that's his problem, since he says it only happens in 2nd gear. Pinion problems would show up in any gear. I'll bet he is having the famous 2nd gear issue. Do a search in the 1st Gen tech section, and you'll find lots of info about this problem.

I agree with Brian, sounds like 2nd gear to me. On some bikes, it may not jump out of 2nd gear completely, but just ratchet under wide open throttle or under load as it gets worse.

There are several ways to fix it, from doing the undercut on 2nd gear and replacing the thrust washer to replacing all the affected parts to picking up a used 86 and up gear set and forks off Ebay. Some people may find it easier to pick up a later model engine and replace that.

I have a low mileage 83 transmission that has never jumped and with the thrust washer change, it would be good to go. If you start buying new parts to rebuild yours, you will probably be in the $500 to $700 range real quick. I believe I also have an 86 up that I was going to put in the 83 engine, but I put an 01 trans in it.

RandyA

I will take some pics when I get home. The bummer is the 83 Venture I ride does not have the mark. Somewhere along the way I picked up two parts bike and both of the have the mark. My 83 has about 43k miles with no issues, but I am holding my breath.

Randy how did that 01 work out?? Am I going to regret bowing out of that auction the next time I see that 83??:think::rotfl:

I never put the engine in my bike. I did not realize until I got it back together that there had been some moisture issues in one cylinder and did not take the head off to see how bad it was.

RandyA

Here are photos of both my parts bike showing, what I am told is, marking indicating dealer repair of 2nd gear. I don't know how dependable this marking is, everything I learned about Ventures I learned from this site. Of course my primary bike does not carry the mark.