IGNORED

Vacation coming to an end.....

Freebird

Well, this is our last full day of vacation. It seems like forever since I have been home. After a week of sales meetings at our company resort in Wisconsin, I got home last Friday night and spent the night at home before leaving for Lake Cumberland in Kentucky at 5:00 on Saturday morning. We have been on a houseboat on Lake Cumberland since last Saturday. Tomorrow we turn the boat in and head back home. It has been quite an experience for me. This was all Eileen's idea. She felt that I needed to get away from civilization for a while and get some rest. She thought that being on the lake with no TV, Internet, etc. would be good for me. Well, I cheated on the Internet. Tethering my Blackberry to my laptop gets me a connection. Not a FAST connection but it could be worse. :) I've been good though and only checked email and the site a couple of times a day.

After our first day here, I thought that I was going to go completely stir crazy. I couldn't even imagine spending a week here with no fast internet and etc. Then a strange thing happened. I actually started relaxing a little bit. I found that I could actually sit on the front deck of the boat, watch nature, fish a little bit and actually feel fairly content. Now I've reached the point that I actually am not looking forward to returning to civilization.

So tomorrow night, we will be home again. The only thing that I'm NOT going to miss is the approximately $200.00 per day that this boat sucks up in gas. That is in spite of the fact that we have spend most of the time docked in secluded coves.

You catch anything?? Pics you know. It is good to get away from EVERYTHING once in a while. I took a few days this week and said the He** with all of it.But its still there when we come back!!! Ain't it a *****?? Have a good time Boss. You and that fine lady with you deserve it. I've been good most of the time. There was that one little slip....:whistling:

I am not PRO cell phone, so I agree with what you said about tethered to blackberry.

If I had to be tethered to a cell phone it would be like being in jail for me.

I watch people that litterally cannot stop playing with their phone for less than 5 minutes.

Not for me, that is for sure.:yikes:

I hope you relaxed and had a good time. It all starts again Monday so enjoy while you can.

Old school and happy about it. :missingtooth:

Bubber

Very glad to see you both had a chance to unwind....

My 2005 RXP can gobble $45 of gas in 3 hours... but hey...it's worth it. Where can you have that much fun for $15 an hour?

Would like to buy a 24-26' Pontoon boat with a 60 hp Honda engine, with trailer .. Now that my friend will allow you to cruise around all day for $45 as you can just pull up to your favorite gas station and not use the extreemely high priced marina gas.

:mo money: Hey, ya can't take it with ya

Edited by CaptainJoe

Yea, it was expensive for gas but still worth it. I know that none of the boats do very well on gas but I have to think that this one would do better if not so under powered. This was one of the smaller house boats. 14' x 50', 3 cabins, one bath, full kitchen, living room and etc. It was powered by a 85 HP Mercury two stroke. The gasoline generator also drank some gas. Most of the larger boats and even the smaller ones at other marinas are powered by I/O engines. Most are 120 HP and up. Some are Volvo/Penta diesels and I think they probably do better.

Oh well, it was still a lot of fun. Fishing was terrible but fishing off a house boat is not great anyway. I also talked to a couple of fishing guides at the marina and they said that even they were working hard to find fish last week. I finally gave up and bought a bobber and some worms so at least caught a couple of small perch but I don't even consider that catching fish. We did have 4 wild turkeys come down almost right beside the boat late in the afternoon our last night there. They were fun to watch.

Eileen has already decided that we are going to do this again sometime next spring. If we do, I would really like to drag a fishing boat down there to have along side the house boat.

First of all, when your dealin with larger boats your talkin about gallons per mile...not miles per gallon...LOL

"Eileen has already decided that we are going to do this again sometime next spring. If we do, I would really like to drag a fishing boat down there to have along side the house boat. "

When you do, you must be careful the fishing boat doesn't marr or otherwise hit your houseboat.

I had a homeade device for hauling my jet ski on the back of a pontoon boat that connected to the rings on top of each pontoon. They were 13' long and formed a "V". If I had to stop abruptly the PWC would swing around and still be 3' away from the back of the boat... Used them when i rented pontoon boats so my daughter could play on the jet ski while the old folk putted arond. Gave them to my brother-in-law as a gift... Need to make up another pair. Cost was under $100 and consisted of 30' of 1/4" SS cable, (2) 13' sections of schedule 40, (2) cans of the $10 a can window and door foam, (3) SS 3" carbiners (3) press cable collars or (6) SS u clamp... If i can find the plans will send them in a post, Water hole/ Towing boats on the water safely.

Just make sure you take aforementioned along or the place you rent the houseboat has a way to tow your fishing boat, as a rope... just aint gonna work... You don't want to pay for damage to either craft.

Edited by CaptainJoe

Well, this is our last full day of vacation. It seems like forever since I have been home. ==== We have been on a houseboat on Lake Cumberland since last Saturday. ===== It has been quite an experience for me. This was all Eileen's idea. She felt that I needed to get away from civilization for a while and get some rest. She thought that being on the lake with no TV, Internet, etc. would be good for me. Well, I cheated on the Internet. Tethering my Blackberry to my laptop gets me a connection. Not a FAST connection but it could be worse. I've been good though and only checked email and the site a couple of times a day. ===== After our first day here, I thought that I was going to go completely stir crazy. I couldn't even imagine spending a week here with no fast internet and etc. Then a strange thing happened. I actually started relaxing a little bit. I found that I could actually sit on the front deck of the boat, watch nature, fish a little bit and actually feel fairly content. Now I've reached the point that I actually am not looking forward to returning to civilization. So tomorrow night, we will be home again. The only thing that I'm NOT going to miss is the approximately $200.00 per day that this boat sucks up in gas. That is in spite of the fact that we have spend most of the time docked in secluded coves.

Good for Eileen for her boating idea and good for you Don to reach the point where it became a relaxing experience. Being anchored (I assume) in a picturesque secluded cove can be great. Now, think about heading north a bit to our Canadian North Channel and renting a sailboat for a week. The experts claim that the North Channel is one of the best cruising areas with sheltered coves everywhere and some of the best scenery in the world. The feeling there on a sailboat is intoxicating and therapeutic --- and if you need help getting started, just ask Wizarkrd765 or myself.