IGNORED

That HD Guy at work

BG Hawks

Several of us at work ride. Some ride crotch rockets, a few of us ride "those other bikes" and we of course have the HD guys. Now in the HD group these is one guy and you all know him that its HD or nothing. On a side note he is a good friend of mine and did come out and look at RSV the first day I brought it to work. When I sold my Vstar 1100 to move up he sent me a picture of 98 Heritage but it needed work. Told him thanks but no thanks; I'm buying a bike to ride not work on. Quite honestly I'm just not in the postion to pour money into any bike.

This week at work the HD guy, myself and a former rider (thinking of getting back on) were discussing bikes. The former rider stirring the pot looked at me and asked when I was going to get an HD? My reply was why would I want a Vtwin when I have a V4. So the HD guy says where do you want me to start? I said Start? I ended it at V4. He just grinned and I chalked it up as one for the other guys.

Quite a few of the Harley guys I know and ride with started with other brands, in particular Yamahas. They play the role of Harley or nothing but when I had my '07 RSV they conceded that it was a good looking bike and had no trouble keeping up with them.

I've had a lot of comments on my '84 from some of the most unexpected folks but an encounter I had the other day took the cake.

I had stopped at a WalMart on my route and had the bike right up front. I was on my way back out and saw a rather interesting fellow about my age (shut up!) standing by my bike eyeballing it. Fully decked out in the pirate apparel and HD all the way. Full leather gear, chaps, jacket and a sawed off jean jacket covered with patches. I gave him the once over to see if he was showing any affilations with the local clubs but no colors showing. He had a back pack over his shoulder so I couldn't make out any back patch. I figured I'd better know what I was dealing with up front.

As soon as I approached the bike he asked me if it was mine. Sure nuf. He asked why I was riding a POS rice grinder. Well here we go....been through this conversation before. LOL!

Told him it was my ride of choice and I prefer a comfortable and dependable bike as I ride everyday and rely on it as my primary transportation. I got the squinty eyeball look and he launched into the lecture on the HD quality and the American Way. He went on for a long time ranting about the HD bikes and their history and the way owning an American made bike will change my life. Make me "real" rider not rice grinding loser.

I heard him out and told him thanks for the info and nice meeting you and held out my hand. He didn't take it and started to walk away. I had to ask, "What is your ride?"

He turned around and said, "I saving up to get one."

I suppose that explained the back pack.

I was going to offer him a ride but decided maybe that wouldn't work out real well.

He was at least one of the fun ones. I've had worse encounters.

He turned around and said, "I saving up to get one."

It's been my experience that the loudest supporters of the "Harley only" mindset is that of those who do not ride.

I went to Scooters in Amarillo 1 night. Including mine, there were 3 bikes in the parking lot. I go inside and almost everyone is in bandannas, chaps, vests, Harley shirts, riding boots, yada yada yada. I think I had a coke and left to go riding.

Rode in the Ride for Vets today from Bridgeview Il to Manteno Il. Mostly Harleys but a mix of other bikes and the ride ended with several of us parking on a circle sidewalk with festivities in the middle. I had several people looking at my bike and nothing but thumbs up.

I used to get those riceburners comments.

Whenever I get a lot of gruff from on of those guys I shut them up by saying ,on a Hot day over 100 degrees in the shade I can let my bike sit and idle for hours and it won't get hot ,how about yours?Plus riding slow on a hot day in traffic my bike won't loose power,does yours.What makes it worse for me is my real first name is Harley,that is why they call me Hog.But on poker runs and rallies I attend people always say Oh cool when they find out my name is Harley and they ask what kind do you ride and I tell them Yamaha and they say what!!! I sometimes end up telling them I don't want to have to rebuild the upper end on a bike after 30,000 miles.Different strokes for different folks.I Love my RSV ,just got back from aroad trip to my home town and got home and was not wore out from the ride for the first time.Most comfortable bike I ever rode.

This "Rice Grinding Loser" and his 25 year old V4 just completed a Rally and covered 1065 miles in 30 hours, including 6 hours of sleep and Bonus Hunting.

Make that 1200 miles if you count getting to the start and back.

What's more, nothing broke, nothing fell off. All I needed to do was turn the key, push the button, and ride it. It needed gas occasionally too :D

At the end of all that, I could still walk and had I needed to cover another 1000 miles, both me and the bike could have done it.

There are those who talk a great ride, then there are those who actually do it.