IGNORED

Kickstand shut down

Mr.G

I have heard that using the kickstand to shut the bike down is not the best option and that the kill switch is best.

Any reason why?

Thanks

Kill switch cuts 12v+ power supply to TCI.

Side Stand cuts 12v- power supply to TCI. There are other circuits that will permit 12v- path to TCI, such as Neutral switch.

Either way motor stops.

Turning key off would be overall best option, so bike is not left with key turned on.

This is based on schematics located at http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42357

I have reasons to think these schematics are flawed in places, though an accurate reproduction of the Yamaha original. Some of the circuits shown are of concern, including the neutral switch circuit.

Gary

Kill switch cuts 12v+ power supply to TCI.

Side Stand cuts 12v- power supply to TCI. There are other circuits that will permit 12v- path to TCI, such as Neutral switch.

Either way motor stops.

Turning key off would be overall best option, so bike is not left with key turned on.

Side Stand method not only stops motor but makes certain the transmission is left in gear. Often a good idea as I found out on top of the Beartooth this year. :eek:

For as long as I can remember I had put the transmission into neutral before shutting off the motor. Not any more though, side stand down is now my only way of shutting down. The key is never left in the ignition, it's a habit since my house key is on the same ring.

Hmmmm.... I never tried to eat ice cream while riding.....

The only time I park with the bike in gear is if I am parking on a hill that is steep enough for the side stand to slide backwards. NEVER park with the front pointed down the hill. I have seen vehicles still roll slowly down the hill, even when left in gear, slowly turning the engine over. All ringed engines leak compression over time.