Have you taken the bike to a shop to have it load tested? That's the best way to determine if the battery is any good or not.

The best type of battery is the sealed type rather than the older style.

If you maintain them, especially in the off season (if you have one) they can last for quite a few years.

Any recommendations for what battery to buy for my 83 Venture. My battery passes all the tests at the auto store but won't crank the bike.

Thanks

Steve

Won't crank at all or turns over but doesn't start?

Did you clean and tighten all the cables... ground on the chassis and cables on the starter .etc

Just odd that the battery load tests fine but doesn't even crank it over.

I went with a Deka that last time. Interstate the time before lasted, maybe, a year and got to the point where it barely turned it over and caught and it would reset the trip meter every time (2nd gen. BTW)

it will crank it over but to slow to start it. when I jump it with my Kawasaki it spins it good. my brother told me to put a regular asprin in each cell and it would clean off the plates and let it charge up again, guess I'll try it and if that doesn't work then I'll go with the Auto Zone trick. Thanks for the feed back.

Steve

i just bought one from autozone online. if you pay online, you get 20 % off, then pick it up at the store. its an AGM sealed battery. no acid. cranks the dickens outta my 83! less than 80.00.

And I'll betcha that if you peel the label off you will find out that in reality it is a DEKA!!

There may be a possibility your starter motor is going south and it needs the extra battery to supply the extra amps to get it to turn over. If it is a bad starter motor you may want to replace it with a 4 brush motor from either a Vmax or a 2nd Gen...

i just bought one from autozone online. if you pay online, you get 20 % off, then pick it up at the store. its an AGM sealed battery. no acid. cranks the dickens outta my 83! less than 80.00.

Same battery I bought and haven't had any trouble since.

Got to look into the DEKA AGM's. Tough stuff and American made! More cold cranking amps than about anything out there. And for less $$ than most the other options.

Got three years on mine and still as good as new. 12.8 volts everytime I hit the switch.

Check Bohannonn Battery or PM skydoc_17 here on the site. He sells them also.

If you haven't swapped for new spark plugs I'd go with that first. Makes a difference.

Mike

Now what does that last pic have to do with batteries???? You are just showing off!!! Man them blondes do look good!

bongobobny is right I ordered a agm battery from Car Quest yesterday I asked for one that was built in the USA and they told me that this was a Car Quest battery made by Deka in the USA. Thanks everyone for your feed back. I got in touch with skydoc and he has a fuse block kit with the setup to fix the warning light problem that happens when going to the agm batrtery.

Thanks

Steve