IGNORED

Brake caliper froze

The problem is, they appear to be all the way in allready. I tried the air hose but they didn't move. When I look through the inlet port, I can see the back of the piston. It is covering about 2/3 of the inlet hole. If they are in any farther it would close off the inlet. They are sticking out about 1/16 from the caliper body. Should they go in any more than that?

Since they are dual piston calipers there may be a way, not real easy, but a way.

With caliper off bike, put some type of clamp so only the piston OPPOSITE the brake line port can move, maybe a 'C' clamp. Hook caliper to brake line and see if you can develop enough pressure to force unclamped piston out of caliper. If this works, 1 down, one to go.

Split caliper in half by removing the connecting bolts. There are 2 pass through ports between the caliper halves. You need to place some thin sealing type material over these 2 ports and rebolt caliper halves back together with enough tension to get material to seal off the pass through port. This will keep pressure in the side with the piston still in caliper body. Reattach to brake line and try to pump this one out.

Long shot if this will work, but it is an idea.

Gary

I must admit that I never understood why people prefer to use an airline

rather than pumping the pistons with brake fluid. They might be stiff and not return properly, but they usually move. Well they have done so far.

I made up a tool from two thick (4-5mm) steel strips with D10mm holes at each end so I can put 10mm stud through and put nuts on, so I can use it as a clamp to hold the piston or if necessary press it back in. Then I hold one piston and pump the other out far enough to clean it (toothbrush and brake fluid is enough if corrosion is not too bad) and lubricate (red rubber grease).

Usually pumping the piston out and pressing it back a few times is enough to get it moving freely, but you can pump the piston out if you need to - to change the seals or to polish or replace the piston.

Hey Lee....is "loost" a new word? Lol:rasberry:

Some really good advice here. Wish I would have had it in the past.

Ya Monty, I noticed that to. Buttttt I was not going to say anything, my typing is soooo bad. I am thankful for spell check. Takes me quite a while to type several sentences and get them right, then do the spell checking corrections and all my grammar changing.

Fuzzy

Hey Lee,

I offer a Caliper Rebuilding Service here at the shop. The Calipers are disassembled, ultrasonically cleaned, the caliper bodies are polished and repainted, the pistons are polished, all new Genuine Yamaha Seal Kits are installed, pins and retainers are cleaned, and clips are replaced. I can load these rebuilt calipers with EBC HH Sintered Pads If you like.

I have attached a few pics.:thumbsup2:

Earl