IGNORED

o8 venture mods

Picked up my 08 RSV today and with a 140 mile ride home I had time to make a mental list of things I need to do. First, I need the handlebars closer. too much of a reach so the old back lets me know it. Riser a possibility or different handlebars? Second, need to lower it also so i guess barons kit will be in the mix. Third, The old butt burn after bout an hour. What seat mods are available? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Howdy. Personally, I wouldn't do anything for awhile. It always takes a few thousand miles to really get to know a bike, ride it in many conditions, see how it handles with various loads, etc. I do agree about the saddle, though. My 07 often gives me a mid-back ache that sets in within the first 20 miles of a ride. My back only hurts when riding, definitely a motorcycle thang. I've still got the soft oem saddle on it. Some day I will spring for a new, firmer saddle, but for now I'm tapped out and will have to put up with the back ache.

A few weeks ago a friend came by with a 2000 Venture MM he was thinking of buying. The owner had really butchered the ergos on it. Tall risers with stock bars that forced me to lean to the rear. Bike was lowered, dragging body parts in even mild turns. Well, to each his/her own, but I could never live with a bike set up that way. I've grown to love mine stock, but when I first got it I hated it. By the end of my first week with the Venture I was ready to get rid of it. I've had this reaction to most motorcycles I've bought for the past 48 years of riding. I've learned to just keep riding it and see if I can't figure out what the bike is trying to do, and see if I like it that way. Most changes I've ever made to a bike, I've eventually gone back to stock. Best of luck with your journey!

Backrest makes a huge difference in seating comfort (if you don't have one already).

I'm planning to send my seat to Rick Butler this winter. Many recommendations for his seat mods here on this site. I dont have a particular problem, but his mod is small money so even if it helps moderately seems like a good deal.

Forward pegs are another must for comfort. Kuraykan longhorns ate the ones to get.

All in all the RSV is pretty damn comfortable but would not be nearly so without backrest and pegs. Dang its heavy tho. Need to really pay attention to where you stop lest sand or oil gets between your footwear and pavement.

Yes I've had my eye on that pillow top as a source of trouble since I got the bike. But sometimes it is great for me. Good day, bad day, I suppose. I understand the midnight editions came with a firm saddle, like my old RSTD had and I loved. Next big thing I buy will probably be a new saddle, and I need to start shopping now. I've had Corbin Dual Tours on other bikes, and liked them, but I don't find the backrest to be a total solution. A backrest works for me for only short spells, then I have to lean forward. That means I have a narrower range of adjustment between backrest and bars, such that neutral upright can't be against the backrest. On long rides I always take a Cruiserbag in the pax position to use as a backrest. Wife can't ride anymore, so there goes the on-road massage.

Picked up my 08 RSV today and with a 140 mile ride home I had time to make a mental list of things I need to do. First, I need the handlebars closer. too much of a reach so the old back lets me know it. Riser a possibility or different handlebars? Second, need to lower it also so i guess barons kit will be in the mix. Third, The old butt burn after bout an hour. What seat mods are available? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. You have 2 options with the handlebars. The cheaper version will be to go with a set of Barons risers. It will move the bars up and back a bit and the reach is very comfy. Stock cables will work but you may need to reroute them. The Barons will hit your ignition cover at full lock so you wont be able to use the optional chrome ign cover. Second option is a little pricier but you can get a set of Flanders G2 bars which will do about the same thing as the risers but it wont interfere with the ignition cover. You can also get a set of 2" longer throttle cables to make it all work.

A seat back rest is a must. Also Rick Butler from this site does a seat mod that you may be interested in.

Backrest is needed.

If your bike has the pillowtops, you may want to look into getting the older style of seat that was firmer. I couldn't take the pillowtop my bike had on it. Too damn soft for me.

To each his own. I find the pillowtop seat to be the most comfy stock seat. I can ride all day with no discomfort.

Just send your seat to Rick & put in the barin risers. You won't know it is the same bike. All that for about $100. Then if you realy whant to get comfee ? put on a back rest & long horn pegs. then it is just like riding your lazyboy.

To each his own. I find the pillowtop seat to be the most comfy stock seat. I can ride all day with no discomfort.

But you never saw FLB's butt, have you???:smile5::smile5::smile5:

I got my 09 this summer and after 4000 mile I agree with jbose, too much reach and the saddle isn't as good as the Mustang on my C50. I added the Grasshopper backrest ($110) and the highway pegs and that helped some, but I need those grips closer. I also rolled the bars up as far as I could and gained about 2 inches of end rise. That adjustment really helped with the shoulder pain. I seen on the forum they recommend the Flanders FL650-08763 but it requires longer throttle cable.

My question is; has anyone tried the direct replacement bars by Baron which they claim works with the stock cables, etc. I am referring to JPCycle #ZZ50129 or Dennis Kirk #59-5929. Two different bars by Baron they claim work with the stock cables. If so, did it help and how far back did it move the grips? I think 2 to 3 inches would help.

Also, what are the modifications to the seat referred to in the postings?

I am new to the forum thing so if I am doing this wrong, somebody point me in the right direction.

Sparkey

Thanks for all the info. I can see the $12.00 will be a good investment. I ordered the barons risers and lowering kit and a set of elite 3s. Previous owner rode with under inflated tires and even with only 3200 miles they're pretty well cupped.

All comes in on the 13th so next week will be very busy. Probably will need help with cable re-routing if anyone has done that before.

I bought a new 09 RSV in March of 2010...At first all seemed well but like you after about 50-60 miles things started to hurt like my shoulders and rear end..The Baron risers helped a lot and are somewhat easy to install. You have to move a few things forward on the handlebar to compensate for the risers but no big deal...

My seat was so uncomfortable that it made me wonder if I had made a mistake buying the bike. I tried several different pads and air cushions but nothing really helped until I purchased a RUSSELL DAY LONG SEAT with BACK REST..They're not cheap but what a difference. Worth every penny IMHO..

Along the way I made leveling links and when I had tires put on I switched to a 130 front tire..The bike is a dream to ride now. Handles better and it feels like I'm sitting on a cloud..:banana:

Bobcat,

I thought about the risers but it looked like the handle-bars would not longer be resting in the rubber mounts of the faring. Do these mounts move up some how:icon_smile_question I think the risers would make the difference I need.

What are levelers?:o

Sparkey