IGNORED

Trying the car tire

Tom

OK,I am giving the "Darkside" a shot. I am doing this for two reasons,1: Ive read alot on different forums about blowouts on motorcycle this summer,Heat related?? I dont know. 2: Weight carrying capacity, on a Wing the ONLY MC tire that has a rear 992 LB rating is an Elite 3,The rest are 827LB..way too low in my opinion. Avg mileage on rear MC tires on a WING is 8-9000 miles,A Wing eats up tires. Ive ridden with alot of guys that are PEGSCRAPERS running Car Tires and watched the amount of tread intact with the ground and it is alot more than you think. I put mine on today,are there any differences? Yes but very Slight. You CAN feel a bit of roll going from straight down the road to a hard,REAL hard curve BUT it is ever so slight. The ride is way smoother than a MT and the 2 things that I like is....It is a Run-Flat tire AND 1201 LB rear tire rating. One reason I never tried it on the Venture is the amount of air pressure it takes to seat a Car Tire on a Venture,My opinion only is that was just to dangerous in MY eyes.The Goldwing is different,A car tire seats as easy as if you were installing on a car,no high pressures to seat it. I did not balance as I am running Centramatic Wheel balancers both front and rear. The ride is SILKY smooth as far as I ran it up to which was 113 MPH,then backed off. My speedometer was not affected,reading the same as it was with the motorcycle tire which is dead on accurate on the 2009/2010 models. The tire I am trying is a brand new Kumho 195/55/R16 Ecsta Run Flat. I will keep you informed on how I like it but so far A-OK................................. I AM NOT RECOMMENDING TO ANYONE ESPECIALLY IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM AS THE RUN FLAT TIRES CAN LOOSE AIR IF A NAIL OR WHATEVER GETS IN IT AND YOU WILL NOT KNOW IT FOR AWHILE UNLESS YOU MONITOR CLOSELY. THIS ALSO IS NOT ENDORSED BY ANYONE AT VENTURERIDER.ORG , JUST MY PERSONAL CHOICE.

Edited by Tom

Good choice, Tom. Same tire I'm running, and I really like it. Put it on just before our 2600 mile trip to the East Coast earlier this month, and it performs really well. I have noticed that the bike feels more "solid" in the rain. The rear end is planted and doesn't have the slippery feel that MC tires tend to have in wet weather. Also have found that I don't feel any slip from the rear when hitting gravel in a curve. Really nice.

One thing I have found that you need to be aware of....on uneven pavement the tire does want to seek the lowest level of the dip that you are in. Just have to be aware and adjust for it.

What pressure are you running? I have found that 32 seems to be best for me. And, I can tell if it loses some pressure. On our trip I thought it was handling a bit funny and checked the pressure at the next stop. It was down to 28. Not handling bad, just different.

My buddy also runs this same tire on his Wing, I have followed him through some tight curves and watched the tread contact. Like you say, it's surprising how much tread is on the road.

Good luck....keep me posted on how you like it.

Joe

Good choice, Tom. Same tire I'm running, and I really like it. Put it on just before our 2600 mile trip to the East Coast earlier this month, and it performs really well. I have noticed that the bike feels more "solid" in the rain. The rear end is planted and doesn't have the slippery feel that MC tires tend to have in wet weather. Also have found that I don't feel any slip from the rear when hitting gravel in a curve. Really nice.

One thing I have found that you need to be aware of....on uneven pavement the tire does want to seek the lowest level of the dip that you are in. Just have to be aware and adjust for it.

What pressure are you running? I have found that 32 seems to be best for me. And, I can tell if it loses some pressure. On our trip I thought it was handling a bit funny and checked the pressure at the next stop. It was down to 28. Not handling bad, just different.

My buddy also runs this same tire on his Wing, I have followed him through some tight curves and watched the tread contact. Like you say, it's surprising how much tread is on the road.

Good luck....keep me posted on how you like it.

Joe

32 here also,Having a Pressure Pro TPMS put on as Im not fond of the factory TPMS.

One thing I'm curious about.....you said in your original post that wings only get 8-9K on a rear tire. That's sure not been my experience. I've been running around 12k on the 1800. My previous 1500 Wing was even better. Used to get 15K on a rear on that bike.

Wonder why your rear tire life is so much less?

Joe

I guess I need to clarify on the rear tire wear..I am a FANATIC about my tires,I very seldom let them get below 5/32nds I think is the way the gauge reads,before I change out my tires.I could go another 3-4000 but I just choose to change out sooner,that being said Ive got 8-10 friends that wear them out at 7500 miles to bald but its due to EXTREME riding all the time,most of them are running skid plates on the pegs and or floorboards because of their either very skilled riding or flat out CRAZY riding...better wear safety goggles when riding behind them as it looks like the fourth of July with all the sparks kicking up. I went for a long ride this morning on the CT with Debby on it and its very nice..As you say though it wants to ride the low point but I adjusted fairly quick. So Far so Good.......One more thing for ANYONE...Check your air gauges,I bet none of them read correct. I finally bought an expensive gauge,a Motion Pro Dial gauge and had it checked for accuracy and it is dead on,even my Moroso is off 3 lbs and its not too cheap.All the others are anywhere from 4-8 lbs off.

Tom it will be hard for you to go back to a motorcycle tire. Had the same tire on my Gold Wing and boy did I love it! Excellent traction smoother ride and could get 25-30,000mi too.

had no problems over in AR at the International Rally the Kumho took the roads like nothing excellent traction..

once I wear out this Avon tire on my Valkyrie Interstate I'm going back to the Kumho 195/55-16 Ecsta Run Flat!!

P.S. Avon tire was on the Valkyire when I bought it - new tire.

Buddy

Tom it will be hard for you to go back to a motorcycle tire. Had the same tire on my Gold Wing and boy did I love it! Excellent traction smoother ride and could get 25-30,000mi too.

had no problems over in AR at the International Rally the Kumho took the roads like nothing excellent traction..

once I wear out this Avon tire on my Valkyrie Interstate I'm going back to the Kumho 195/55-16 Ecsta Run Flat!!

P.S. Avon tire was on the Valkyire when I bought it - new tire.

Buddy

You are right Buddy,I went for a nice ride two up today and was amazed at the smoothness and it is not a problem to get it over on the hardware...still taking it fairly easy for now though,gotta get the confidence level up a notch or two.....BTW if anyone interested I have a Dunlop E3,Brand New never installed born date early 2011 for GL1800 Rear..$175.00 here at the house.

Tom, you previously posted that you rode a Wing with the CT on it and didn't like the way it handled...especially around tar snakes. What happened to change your mind? I'm still on the fence about this. I like the idea of the increased capacity and blowout "protection"...but it just seems to me if you were supposed to run a CT on the bike, Honda would offer that option...at least, it seems, that they would express support of the idea. I'm not trying to be difficult...just don't want to sacrifice warrant and safety!

I wonder what an insurance company would have to say if someone were in a accident and they discovered the bike had a car tire installed. I bet my money they'd claim an "unauthorized modification" and deny coverage. Just sayin...

I guess each insurance company is different but Ponchs wife has already settled on his bike and to quote her " got a very good settlement ". I hope to never find out though.

Tom, you previously posted that you rode a Wing with the CT on it and didn't like the way it handled...especially around tar snakes. What happened to change your mind? I'm still on the fence about this. I like the idea of the increased capacity and blowout "protection"...but it just seems to me if you were supposed to run a CT on the bike, Honda would offer that option...at least, it seems, that they would express support of the idea. I'm not trying to be difficult...just don't want to sacrifice warrant and safety!

Jim , after I rode his bike I kept wondering if I was just tense being on another's bike. He has a short windshield and alot of wind was hitting me and the thought of wrecking another's bike made me even more nervous so I figured try it on my bike and see. Well I'm satisfied it was my fear as the handling is just about the same There are SMALL differences but for the run flat technology and higher weIght capacity I so far will keep running it.

I wonder what an insurance company would have to say if someone were in a accident and they discovered the bike had a car tire installed. I bet my money they'd claim an "unauthorized modification" and deny coverage. Just sayin...

They would have to PROVE that the CT was a contributing factor in the accident.

If they want to go down the road of "unauthorized modifications" in order to deny coverage, I guess they could point to aftermarket mufflers, windshields, handgrips, lighting,.....pretty much anything they wanted to.

I don't think it would hold up in court.

I admit I'm intrigued by the car tire idea. I've read a number of posts about it and for the most part, the people that use them swear by them. I figured I'd wait until my rear was up for replacement before making the decision. Did you install it yourself? Or take it to a dealership? I kinda figured they'd frown on the idea.

Another question I have is about balancing. I like to use ceramic beads instead of lead. Can you use them in a run flat tire?

I admit I'm intrigued by the car tire idea. I've read a number of posts about it and for the most part, the people that use them swear by them. I figured I'd wait until my rear was up for replacement before making the decision. Did you install it yourself? Or take it to a dealership? I kinda figured they'd frown on the idea.

Another question I have is about balancing. I like to use ceramic beads instead of lead. Can you use them in a run flat tire?

Coy..IF you have the MC tire pulled off and buy the CT and take it to a Discount tire or even a wal mart they will put it on no questions,If so Id say its for a Mini Cooper. These tires on the Goldwing rear do not take a lot of pressure to seat like on the Venture rear with a CT. I Use Centramatics so I dont know about the bead thing but IF you ever get ready to do the Centramatics it is an AWESOME product..It seems to not only balance great but if possible acts even more like gyroscopes as it feels so surefooted...I cannot explain,just if you ever get over here ride mine and you will see. BTW I am running the Kumho 195/55/16 ECSTA Run Flat. It didnt change my speedo reading as it is dead on accurate on the 09/10 models.

Joe or Tom, can one of you post a couple of photos of your tire on the bike. Maybe a shot from the rear and side. I'm close to needing a new tire and I'm thinking.

Dennis

Here is two shots of the rear after Install

Thanks for the photos Tom. I started reading about the tires and I ran across this:

While Ecsta SPT XRP (Extended Runflat Performance) tires are designed to combine performance, comfort and good looks with the convenience run-flat mobility provides, they are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

That's kind of a deal breaker for me since I ride in subfreezing temps as long as there is no ice or snow.

Dennis

Thanks for the photos Tom. I started reading about the tires and I ran across this:

While Ecsta SPT XRP (Extended Runflat Performance) tires are designed to combine performance, comfort and good looks with the convenience run-flat mobility provides, they are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

That's kind of a deal breaker for me since I ride in subfreezing temps as long as there is no ice or snow.

Dennis

Dennis,

That just means that it isn't rated as an all-season tire as far as tread design. I'm betting that your MC tire isn't either.....

Joe

The thread on the rear tire for goldwings is great.....my next door neighbor runs a goldwing and now he will install a car tire when he needs to replace.

My question is; will it work on my 2004 Yamaha Venture R/S? I put miles on mine; I'm retired and I support PGR, but I guess the most important thing is reliability and safety, if it works on my bike.

I see the response on the Goldwing and that's great; how about some experts on my bike. Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Have a safe and wonderful Labor Day.....I'll be at the beach this week (with the bike).:backinmyday:

The thread on the rear tire for goldwings is great.....my next door neighbor runs a goldwing and now he will install a car tire when he needs to replace.

My question is; will it work on my 2004 Yamaha Venture R/S? I put miles on mine; I'm retired and I support PGR, but I guess the most important thing is reliability and safety, if it works on my bike.

I see the response on the Goldwing and that's great; how about some experts on my bike. Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Have a safe and wonderful Labor Day.....I'll be at the beach this week (with the bike).:backinmyday:

Take a look here, you'll find all the info you need: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=106

Guest tx2sturgis

Dennis

That is probably a caution since the sidewalls on runflat tires are much thicker, and take longer to heat up and soften, and maybe the sidewalls are too stiff on this tire in subfreezing weather.

Hmmm.

Since I already had a set of new Bridgestones in the garage so I put them on the bike today. I got 11,000 miles out of the last set. I think they were about done. The long interstate ride to Oregon and California sure flattened them out, see pic. I'll look at a car tire at the next tire change.

Dennis

Edited by Midrsv