IGNORED

Gps 101?

Lone Eagle

So, I am thinking about getting a GPS unit. I know a lot of you have the ZUMO 550, others have Tom Tom etc. I just registered on the Zumo 550 forum to start learning about this type of technology, software, software needed, etc. I think I am now more confused than ever - in that it appears you have to do a lot of programming?

I'm not really sure where to start in researching for this. I like (I think) the ZUMO - but would be looking for something fairly simple to utilize while on the road. Meaning, if I got to a location, decided to find some interesting back roads, can one just "push a button" and a unit tells you some neat roads? Looking at the ZUMO site, I guess I need to download some software into my computer, and transfer information between the two (computer/GPS unit?). I am not real savvy on computer programs, and/or .extensions.

Is there one trip planning software better than another? I've been on rides where the guys have had laptops with them - and made new daily routes off the laptop into the GPS device - I don't have a laptop - hence wanting to "create routes on the fly". Can you do that?

Sorry if these might be dumb questions, just looking for an area / forum to start learning this stuff. I am thinking if I am going to spend the money on something like this, I would want to use it to most of it's capacity. I would also not want to buy a "starter" unit, then have to upgrade in 6 months. Any help or suggestions from you "pros" and "gps newbies" out there????? Thanks in advance.:confused24::confused24:

There is no really easy 'one button push' GPS. You can access all the features in the Zumo from the GPS itself. However, it is easier to program routes and locations on a computer.

View it as similar to a Camcorder. You have the ability to edit your video with the camcorder, but it is a whole lot easier to edit a video on a computer.

The Zumo is full featured and you will not need to upgrade (until there is a leap in technology - should be a while for that). You will not go wrong buying the best. It will just take some practice.

RR

Lone Eagle , To say the least , just every one on the GPS's will come with some sort of software updates or something else . All GPS will need for you to set up for your preference as well . It's not all that hard to do if you take your time to learn and follow instructions . I'm not a computer Geek myself though I have 8 computers , but I found the ZUMO almost ready to go right out of the box .I just made a few preferences adjustments using the quick guide and Wa-Laa , I was navigating right off my recliner .

Most GPS come with a map program , so you can set your course beforehand , then transfer the file to the GPS . I don't use that much unless I have a lot of vias (off the main trail POI's) . Remember , the ZUMO forum does have a lot of Computer Geeks (I say that with respect) that speak in Geek Tongue that confuses us ole farts sometimes .

Bottom line is don't sweat it , just get the GPS that feels right with you . You have family here that can get you straightened out in questions you may have or get the answers for you .

BEER30

I have had the Zumo 550 for about 3 months now and I'm pleased with it's capabilities. You don't have to have a computer unless you want to make routes and then transfer them to your Zumo unit. There is a learning curve for any unit you decide to get. Make sure it's waterproof like the Zumo. The Zumo is capable of receiving XM radio but you will have to buy the antenna which is more money (around $160.00) it is also cabable of connecting to your cell phone and you can make and receive calls using your helmet headset and mic if you get a cable ($30.00). It also has MP3 player capability. Others will chime in. Good luck in your hunt.

Lone Eagle,

Let me add my recommendation for the Zumo 550 or 450. I have the Zumo 550 and I rarely connect it to the computer. I create nearly all of my routes on the GPS itself. It has all of the features you need right out of the box. There is no software to add to it. Creating routes with multiple waypoints is a little cumbersome but once you get used to the interface it is fairly easy.

While researching GPS units for a friend to give as a Christmas gift I found that most of the sub $300 units did not have the ability to store routes or to create routes with multiple waypoints and that is a feature you really want on a bike GPS. In most cases when you select a destination the GPS will attempt to route you in the most fastest, most direct route. When on the bike I rarely take that route and instead select waypoints to force it down those country roads.

I won't travel on the bike without the GPS now.

DT

Agree with the Zumo 450 as I bought this unit early this summer. Almost everyday I used it I found another function. I did not need the fancy rasio, or Bluetooth

But remember you do not need all the functions when your going from point a to b. I have never used the map software but use it mostly to get through towns, or the fastest way to a certain point (home), or to find banks, restaurants, gas stations, beer stores etc....

Brad

Hey Vic,

I have the Zumo 550 and am VERY satisfied. It has the MP3 player, sattellite radio, and it will also store pics. It is designed to be used on a motorcycle so you will have no trouble with the touch screen if you are wearing gloves. The unit comes with two docks: one specifically for the bike and one for your car. The really convenient thing is that the car dock is easy to take with you from car to car in case you are using a rental car. The motorcycle dock locks the unit in so it is hard to steal. It is really easy to mount and is adjustable to almost any position. I have always used my Ipod for music and it was hard to change songs with gloves on. Now I just load my music on to an 2gig SD card and plug it into the GPS and it plays my music through the stereo. And it is much easier to change songs while under way with the large touchscreen display. If you want to take a look at it, let me know and maybe we could get together on a Sunday afternoon. I am considering buying my Dad one for Christmas.

I hope this helps,

Brent:080402gudl_prv:

Thanks, everyone for the responses. I've pretty much decided I would go the ZUMO route - now, it's just a "learning" curve - geocaching, mapways, vias, POI's, you know the foreign language one must consider. I'll "read" the instruction manual, but when I get frustrated, I just start pushing buttons - :rotf: . Actually, on our trip to Ft. Collins this year, DKNight used his 550 to call ahead and book hotel reservations for us - I was impressed.

I already have a Roady XM on the bike, so maybe I could lose the Roady connect the antena to the Zumo 550?

Yesterday, though for an example, I was with a group in Gulinda for the Wreaths across America ride, and afterwards thought "it would be nice to punch a button" for another alternative "scenic" route back home rather than going back Highway 5. You guys a least gave me a confidence in that I "don't need to be a rocket scientist" to use this - or similar type unit.

I already have a Roady XM on the bike, so maybe I could lose the Roady connect the antena to the Zumo 550?

Sorry your existing antenna will not work, you need a GXM-30 antenna.

About another $180.00 depending on where you shop.

Guest tx2sturgis

GPS....whazzat? ...I dont need no stinking GPS!!:no-no-no:

Hey...I bought a handheld Garmin and use it for geocaching...and with a RAM mount, it can mount to the bars...

Runs on 2 AA batteries for a LONG time, and its weatherproof too! And, I can take it off the bike and do some geocaching...actually I rarely use it on the bike...I have found there are too many errors in the map datum that the companies use...in other words, road and intersections are always being re-worked and the GPS has some errors in turn directions. I have realized that a GPS is an excellent LOCATION device, but as a NAVIGATION device, they leave a lot to be desired. Not worth the trouble in my opinion. Neat gadget for geocaching, and locating LAT-LONG for some repeater work I do, but otherwise, A Rand McNally map or atlas is just as good.

Go with something small light, easy to operate and not that expensive to see if you like the thing. This way you will get a real feel how a GPS works with out shelling out the big bucks. I had a few and ended up with the

I-way 250C $185.00. I now know I like them and will most likely purchase a ZUMO 550 because it's water-proof, has brighter screen (for bright sun light) blue tooth-(telephone) locks in with key. Check out the thread below.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15060

I have considered GPS, but when it comes down to it, they are too limited. Can't see the big picture, too fiddly.

I have been experimenting with the perfect paper map system, and one with easily turned pages with print-outs I make from Google maps or similar programs works great.

OR just get a state map and fold accordingly.

Currently I tape a business card folder to my tank, and tape the maps to it. The long thin pages are perfect and I can turn the pages and tuck them in. Found it at an office supply store.

Haven't seen a GPS yet that can give the same view.