IGNORED

Auxiliary DC Jack

OK so I did my first work on my 2008 RSV. Oil change and filter. No problem! Spark plugs a diferent story. According to the owners manual and the Service manual easy to do, just pull the plugs, well I could not figure out how to get to the front 2 plugs. Did a search here and I have to remove the gas tank. Also in my owners manual it says I have an Auxiliary DC Jack and terminals. The terminals are right next to the battery, but I cannot find the jack. Anybody? Conclusion: Owners manual kinda sucks, service manual not much better. This site has way better info. By the way, used Purolator Pure one oil filter, and Risolene 4T semi-synthetic 20-50 oil. I am going to have the dealer do my carb sysnch this time because I just dont have time, but the next one I will do a search here and try and do it myself.

OK so I did my first work on my 2008 RSV. Oil change and filter. No problem! Spark plugs a diferent story. According to the owners manual and the Service manual easy to do, just pull the plugs, well I could not figure out how to get to the front 2 plugs. Did a search here and I have to remove the gas tank. Also in my owners manual it says I have an Auxiliary DC Jack and terminals. The terminals are right next to the battery, but I cannot find the jack. Anybody? Conclusion: Owners manual kinda sucks, service manual not much better. This site has way better info. By the way, used Purolator Pure one oil filter, and Risolene 4T semi-synthetic 20-50 oil. I am going to have the dealer do my carb sysnch this time because I just dont have time, but the next one I will do a search here and try and do it myself.

You will need a Morgan Carb-tune or similar to do it. If you have that, it will take you 10-15 minutes .... much less time than taking it to the dealer or any other shop for that matter.

Remove the tank and the engine dog bones to access the front plugs. You may get away with sliding the tank back some but one "bump" into it may send it crashing down. Not a good thing.

Morgan Carbtune: about 95 bucks.

Dealer charge to do a carb sync: about 150 bucks.

Total labor time to do a carb sync: about 15-20 min.

Dealer profit for just labor charges for that 15-20 min of labor: (remember, there are no parts involved) About 100 bucks.

Satisfaction of doing it yourself right the first time: priceless.

At least now I know why I couldn't find the front two plugs. Remove the GAS TANK to change the plugs? Wow... much harder than our Honda Shadow I used to do the small things on. I assume you can't move the tank back without unbolting it? Maybe if the two of us were to do it, one holding tank, other change the plugs.

I haven't been able to find either auxiliary jack/plug, either, so would definitely appreciate a good description of where they are and pics. We looked and looked but couldn't find them.

There is only one auxiliary jack/plug installed. There is a white plug behind the side cover where you can install/tie-in another for the rear seat. The one installed is on the left side of the inside fairing down below the bars (you will have a tough time seeing it without bending over to look under the bars).

Ok, there is a hole on the left side about the same place as the air fitting is on the right, this is for another aux plug however if you want a cigarette type you will have to buy one and plug it into the little white connector. Yamaha wants 150 bucks but you can get one form an auto parts store that works as well.

Ah hah!! Found that hole so now I get it. Thank you!!! I mostly wanted it in case my phone went dead or my iPod ran out of juice.

What I got with my other bike, and have moved to this bike, is the attachment for the battery. It's permanently attached and makes it easier to attach the charger when necessary. What I found online also was a cigarette lighter attachment that has the same ends as the battery charger so now I can plug that into the battery attachment, then plug in my car adapter to that and voila, I have power. Haven't had to use it yet but good to know I have it if I need it. (Sometimes my phone stays on)

Here's what I have: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MOTORCYCLE-ATV-SNOMOBILE-POWER-OUTLET-ADAPTER-12v-/270798697220?pt=Snowmobile_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0cdc3304

Ok, there is a hole on the left side about the same place as the air fitting is on the right, this is for another aux plug however if you want a cigarette type you will have to buy one and plug it into the little white connector. Yamaha wants 150 bucks but you can get one form an auto parts store that works as well.

Thanks. I would never have found that based off the description and picture in the owners manual!

Ah hah!! Found that hole so now I get it. Thank you!!! I mostly wanted it in case my phone went dead or my iPod ran out of juice.

What I got with my other bike, and have moved to this bike, is the attachment for the battery. It's permanently attached and makes it easier to attach the charger when necessary. What I found online also was a cigarette lighter attachment that has the same ends as the battery charger so now I can plug that into the battery attachment, then plug in my car adapter to that and voila, I have power. Haven't had to use it yet but good to know I have it if I need it. (Sometimes my phone stays on)

Here's what I have: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MOTORCYCLE-ATV-SNOMOBILE-POWER-OUTLET-ADAPTER-12v-/270798697220?pt=Snowmobile_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0cdc3304

Thanks for posting this link. I'm getting one for my RSV and one for the wife's softail. She is thrilled to have a 12 volt port on her bike for her phone charger!

So which bolts, screws do I need to remove to shift the gas tank? How far does it need to move? The service manual isn't very good at explaining things, I'm finding.

There are 2 allen screws at the front (1 on each side), you will find them behind the rubberized mount protector, front of the gas tank near the frame neck.

There is one hex-head bolt at the back of the gas tank, under the seat. Remove the seat and it's easy to see.

Remove the plastic cover near the tank filler and unhook the wires and breather tube.

Set the petcock to Off and remove the fuel line, undo the bolt at the back and the allen screws at the front.

Lift the tank straight up and back and off ... that's it. Takes all of 15 min or less.

The factory "cig lighter" plug is on the inside of the fairing, on the left. It has a rubber plug to keep it dust and water tight.

Kneel down on the left side of the bike and look at that area... you will see it.

When you do find the power plug and find that it doesn't work...:confused24:

Where do you find the fuse?

Thanks for posting this link. I'm getting one for my RSV and one for the wife's softail. She is thrilled to have a 12 volt port on her bike for her phone charger!

Dumb question: would it be prudent to add a 10 watt fuse to this line, or is the direct connect to the batt not an issue if we're only using the add-on port for charging a phone or plugging in a GPS? :confused24: