IGNORED

Advice? Switching to V-Max cams

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MANIC MECHANIC

Mostly sportbikes and some mx machines as I had a pro license and had to keep plenty of spares. (thats why there are seven)

i know one thing you got me beat on the ego.i thought i was pretty egotistical.yes i know all about the fuel injection and the circlip groove on the recall ,and the short push rod.i've had my warrior apart several times patrick racing pistons, speedstar cams second addition,heads ported, three angle valve job,vance and hines pro pipe,big air kit,dynojet usmb,31 tooth pulley,and yes it runs good.and i had a tricked out v-max,an all out gs 1100 suzuki,and to many more to bore you with.i had dealerships for yoshimura ,performance machine ,and many other speed equipment manufacturers.been doing head work and carb work and building engines for 40 years so i think i may know a little something. :rasberry:

Guest dakotasport

I can tell ya that i have ridden a roadliner and own a 05 midnight venture , that roadliner is fast...........

If i was just to do the dyna 3000 on my 05 venture will it help.thanks tim

Guest MANIC MECHANIC

These guys dont believe me, the roadliner is FAST. Its not sportbike fast, but its fast. Like they say in the military: if you can do it, it aint braggin'. There is a difference between arrogance and confidence, thats all. I'm confident.

Yeah,Yeah, Yeah stratroliner are fast and have a lot of torque, but new Tech. ??, Pushrods ??, Harley Copies ?. A 85 V-Max will wind a startolounger's clock (But who gives a d---). I rode one and was not impressed w/ the built in shake (Harley Cool). I think yamaha is trying hard to push this Yamaharley down are throughts, I ain't buying it, If you want the real thing then buy the real thing. The V-four is a great alternative to the potato- potato. I can't understand all this me to bull.

i know one thing you got me beat on the ego.i thought i was pretty egotistical.yes i know all about the fuel injection and the circlip groove on the recall ,and the short push rod.i've had my warrior apart several times patrick racing pistons, speedstar cams second addition,heads ported, three angle valve job,vance and hines pro pipe,big air kit,dynojet usmb,31 tooth pulley,and yes it runs good.and i had a tricked out v-max,an all out gs 1100 suzuki,and to many more to bore you with.i had dealerships for yoshimura ,performance machine ,and many other speed equipment manufacturers.been doing head work and carb work and building engines for 40 years so i think i may know a little something. :rasberry:
Heck Bill only 40 years experience you can't know as much as him. He's been to yamaha propaganda school. When I was his age I knew everything now I'm just smart enough to realize how little I know.:stirthepot::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Well, c'mon now. You guys all know what it was like to know everything, we were all that smart once upon a time. But I welcome Manic Mechanic. Aint nothing wrong with adding some school learning to this here forum. It should go well with all the experience floating around here. Give and take...we're all friends here, and we all have something to add. And we all have something to learn, your experience has taught you that, hasn't it?

Yeah,Yeah, Yeah stratroliner are fast and have a lot of torque, but new Tech. ??, Pushrods ??, Harley Copies ?. A 85 V-Max will wind a startolounger's clock (But who gives a d---). I rode one and was not impressed w/ the built in shake (Harley Cool). I think yamaha is trying hard to push this Yamaharley down are throughts, I ain't buying it, If you want the real thing then buy the real thing. The V-four is a great alternative to the potato- potato. I can't understand all this me to bull.

Just because it's a V-Twin doesn't make it a Harley copy, IMHO. I've riden the Stratoliner, I love the feel of the motor, love that low end torque. Damn thing feels like it doesn't even need a transmission, just twist the grip and it goes, no matter at what revs. The V4 is a great motor, but there is room in my garage for a V-Twin, too. I consider my VTX "the real thing", and I've never had the urge to spend too much money to have the "proper" name on the tank.

hey manic mechanic ,you past the test ,we had to give you a little hell.you'll be alright.when you knock heads with us old farts you got to get up awful early in the morning.you know i always say the older i got the smarter my dad got.when i turned thirty i realized he wasn't as dumb as he acted.you will find out someday that age brings wisdom.don't know what happened in my case i still ain't wise.so fall back in and lets talk tech on a friendly basis.bill:)

Just because it's a V-Twin doesn't make it a Harley copy, IMHO. I've riden the Stratoliner, I love the feel of the motor, love that low end torque. Damn thing feels like it doesn't even need a transmission, just twist the grip and it goes, no matter at what revs. The V4 is a great motor, but there is room in my garage for a V-Twin, too. I consider my VTX "the real thing", and I've never had the urge to spend too much money to have the "proper" name on the tank.
i agree it is an awsome bike.the first one i saw at stardays really turned me on.they do need a full blown touring version, for those who like the v-twin feel.i think they would sell good.i like the v-4 myself because it is soooo smooth.:)

Guest MANIC MECHANIC
i agree it is an awsome bike.the first one i saw at stardays really turned me on.they do need a full blown touring version, for those who like the v-twin feel.i think they would sell good.i like the v-4 myself because it is soooo smooth.:)

We have said for a while now that they could use a full blown dresser version of either the roadstar or the roadliner, but who knows why they dont like to listen? I'm thinking that eventually the venture will be based on the roadliner instead of using the vmax platform. The vmax (venture) engine is not going to be able to pass emissions much longer, since they are cracking down on bikes these days hardcore. They have even started replacing the vstars with a new liquid cooled fuel injected bike (vstar 1300). So my thinking is that the venture as you know it will be on either its last legs, or it will get an entire new v-4 that will meet emissions etc. The new vmax looks incredible, who knows if it will make it over to our shores or not though, its said to make 200hp.

I would be very surprised if the V4 does not already meet most EPA requirements and if not, it would be VERY simple for it to do so. Heck...with the addition of the carbon canister, it already meets the strict California requirements. It wouldn't be very difficult to add fuel injection. I really don't look for the V4 to go away because of EPA regulations.

the new v-max engine is a redesigned v-4 with 1800 cc's and injection.could this be the new venture engine of the future to compete with the wing?could be.hope i can afford the new max when it gets here.i want one bad.if they use the new max based motor i am sure the new venture will use the new process cast aluminum frame like the stratoliner and warrior.it's a process they use to create thin wall castings which they weld together to create the frame.it looks like tubing but is actually all castings.very light weight. :)

Yeah Bill,

That's kinda my thought that they would take that 1800 V-Max driveline and drop it into their Kind Touring bike and add fuel injection and maybe catalitic convertors. But like you said, this 1800 is a redesigned 1300 because the 1300 engine can only be bored to 1500 safely.

Something to dream about,

Rick

the new v-max engine is a redesigned v-4 with 1800 cc's and injection.could this be the new venture engine of the future to compete with the wing?could be.hope i can afford the new max when it gets here.i want one bad.if they use the new max based motor i am sure the new venture will use the new process cast aluminum frame like the stratoliner and warrior.it's a process they use to create thin wall castings which they weld together to create the frame.it looks like tubing but is actually all castings.very light weight. :)

A lighter and faster Venture. I get chills!! Hopefully with the same comfort. Making me dream!!!

think of it.a 130 hp. venture with 150 ft. lbs. of torque in a 100 lb. lighter bike.mid 12 sec. 1/4 mile,140 top speed.very good possibility.they would'nt design a whole new motor just for a slow seller like the v-max.it costs to much.and from the looks of the new motor nothing is anything like the old one.now that would be the ultimate touring machine.just hope they don't get carried away and make it look like a crotch rocket instead of a motorcycle. although with the changing times it will probably have to look futuristic like the wing.:2133: