IGNORED

Venture Died - NEED HELP !!!!!

Looking for help. Yesterday I was heading from Wisconsin to Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks. 20 miles down the road my 2005 Venture sputtered like it was running out of gas and left me stranded on the side of the road. Gas tank was full. Kill switch was fine. Plenty of electrical power as I could crank it over but it would not start. My dealership came and trailered the bike back to the shop and the bike starts right up and runs fine. We figure a fuel pump issue and by pass the fuel pump and I'm back on my way to Yellowstone. 20 miles down the road it does the same thing and I'm stranded again. Again the dealership picks me up and when we get back to the shop and the bike runs fine. Other things that I tried:

Undid the vent hose thinking vapor lock. There was no pressure from the gas cap.

Actualy tried running the bike with the gas cap off. No luck.

Plenty of fuel from the petcock.

The bike seems to run fine after it sits ( and cools down) for awhile. The dealership and I are out of ideas. Any help????

I can be reached at (608) 576-3117. I hope to catch up with my Yellowstone riders today.

Thanks

Mike Hickok

Chapter 166

Madison, WI

It could be a tough one to track down. I hate intermittent issues like that. I've seen it happen, but rarely, when the lean angle sensor caused that exact problem. I had a friend that went through that and it took a long time and several dealers to finally identify the problem. As stated though, it could be the ignition switch. When it quits and won't start, do all the dash lights and indicators still work?

Mike,

Good talking just now. I will check with my local dealer for any suggestions.

On the gravity feed, try a straight connection between the petcock and the carb input.

Could still be filter.

AND VR, Mike said he has got 3 calls this morning - Good Group here!

He is headed back to the dealer in 1/2 hour.

Mike G

Just talked to Sumter SC dealer, Al at Extreme Sports.

He also suggested the ignition,,, 'Starter Circuit Relay' specifically.

He said Sleeperhawk had a similar problem after some rain. Figured moisture got in there and was shutting it down after about the same time/temp. Replaced it.

Seems like they replaced mine also when they were chasing a start problem. Mine turned out to be the ignition switch it's self,,, but that was a no spark issue when starting.

Don't know if dealer will have one on hand, but same part does fit other Yamahas. Maybe the other dealer has that part if they don't.

Hope they get it today so you can head west!

MIke G

It sounds like you have already done all the normal and appropriate things to try to resolve this problem. I do not have any new ideas on what is causing it at this time, but if it happens again, there are only two very simple tests for you to do on the side of the road to isolate the bike system that is causing you grief. Once you know which system it is, we can zero in faster.

Combustion needs just three things - fuel, air, spark. From your description, it seems almost impossible for this to be an air problem, so that just leaves fuel and spark. When it dies, open one of the carb drains - if you get a normal amount of fuel (it will drain for 10 seconds or so), you can quit looking at the fuel system. As a secondary test for fuel, if the pump is still hooked up, turn the key on after the carb has quit draining, but with the drain still open. You should both hear clicking AND get gas running out of the drain. For this test, you only need to make sure you have a long allen wrench with you to make drain access easy.

Spark is even easier to test if you are willing to take a little pain for the cause. Have an old plug in your pocket, pull off one of the back plug wires, stick in the old plug and hold it against the engine. Hit the starter and watch for spark. There is a good chance you will feel the spark as well as see it (if it is there), but that won't hurt you none (not real damage, anyway), and you will know for sure if you have spark! If you don't see the spark (or get bit), then try it again while actually holding the metal base of the plug - yes, this virtually guarantees that you will get bit if the spark is there, but if you already think the spark is missing, isn't it worth the risk? Just make sure you are holding it in such a way that when you jerk your hand away, it isn't gonna smash against something hard!

BTW - if you haven't actually remove the plug caps and checked them for

If I can come up with any new solid ideas that you haven't already tried, I'll give you a call. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

If you need parts that the dealer cannot get until next week, let us know. I know my Venture will not be going anywhere for the next couple of weeks and can sacrafice a component or two to help a fellow member enjoy their vacation.

If I need to ride while waiting for replacement parts, there are a couple of lesser steads in the barn.

Let us know.

RR

If you want to go this route, best to call me. Number is in my profile. Will be off the computer for the balance of the day. Have a car and a couple of bikes that need my loving attention today. I really enjoy when the wife is out of town (for a short while - it's nice when she gets home too).