Hey everyone,

Spring is here in Ontario and I have been doing some riding. Still getting disappointing fuel economy....switching to reserve at about 200km(124 miles) and sucking fumes at 250km (155 miles) to a full tank.

After my valve job (see thread), I am still backfiring on deceleration & when changing gears (ranging from pops to bangs) but it is a little better than before. Sadly, this 3G worth of work did not fix all my issues.

I am running Baron's bag slash pipes, which have been packed. Never re-jetted because Barons told me I would not have to.

No carb readjustment/needle shimming after the valve job.

Getting frustrated with spending all this money and not having my problems fixed.

Any input is welcomed...any suggestions on who to go to in the Barrie, Orillia, Midland Ontario area is welcomed.

:fingers-crossed-emo

For clarification, the one shop I am not going to anymore repeatedly farted around with the carbs and only made it worse. This was prior to the leak down test and valve job.

You do not need to rejet for the pipes unless you replaced the entire exhaust system. The head pipes are the restrictive parts of the exhaust. You can not "burn out" the factory exhaust because it's all metal. There is no fiberglass packing on the inside.

Your carbs are off. Way off. You need to find someone who knows what they're doing on the carbs for a V-4.

Both of my RSV's had after market mufflers, both would pop, sometimes it sounded like a shot gun. I went to stock mufflers on the sliver 99 and the popping when away. The 99 RSV trike had sampson fish tails and had some light popping, also way to loud. Whet to 05 HD RK mufflers, sound great and no popping. Also notice on todays ride that I'm getting better gas milages. I'm going to have to keep an eye on this to see if it continues to get better milage. It seems these motors like a little back pressure.

For clarification, the one shop I am not going to anymore repeatedly farted around with the carbs and only made it worse. This was prior to the leak down test and valve job.

Oh...so one shop was playing with the carbs! In that case flb_78 may be quite right. If someone fooled with the carbs without really knowing what they were doing than they certainly could have messed things up royally. And no, there is no " packing" to burn out in the stock mufflers. That sounds like a shop to stay away from. Allwx is correct to a certain extent regarding fuel mileage and driving habits. If you use gentle and minimal throttle moves in higher gears at lower rpm's then your mileage should be OK. Where the problem occurs is when people grab a "handful" of throttle at low speed in higher gears to get better acceleration. There is not enough low end torque in these motors to handle that so a lot of gas gets dumped into the cylinders and gets sent unburned out the exhaust. That manoeuvre works well with a big twin with lots of low end torque, but the Venture motors get their torque at higher rpm and will accelerate better if the motor is at higher revs (Not necessarily near red line) when given a lot of throttle. It depends on your driving habits.

It sounds like you need a knowledgeable carburettor person to have a look at your bike.

Unfortunately, that is likely to be expensive. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with your area so I can't suggest any good shops to use. The closest one to you that I can think of is still only in Burlington. They have a good reputation, but I've never used them myself. Perhaps someone else can come up with a suggestion.

Andy

I was browsing through the site and found a VRTech tip regarding Plugging the AIS. It mentioned popping backfires. Others smarter than me would have to chime in if it might help. Looks like a simple enough thing to test though...

I did this to your bike when it was my bike, back when it had the custom mufflers on it. It only made it worse.

You do not need to rejet for the pipes unless you replaced the entire exhaust system. The head pipes are the restrictive parts of the exhaust. You can not "burn out" the factory exhaust because it's all metal. There is no fiberglass packing on the inside.

Your carbs are off. Way off. You need to find someone who knows what they're doing on the carbs for a V-4.

OK, good to know, thanks...my bike is an 2003...so, the stock pipes should till be ok? Anyone had to replace them before?

Edited by VentureT
forgot a question

Oh...so one shop was playing with the carbs! In that case flb_78 may be quite right. If someone fooled with the carbs without really knowing what they were doing than they certainly could have messed things up royally. And no, there is no " packing" to burn out in the stock mufflers. That sounds like a shop to stay away from. Allwx is correct to a certain extent regarding fuel mileage and driving habits. If you use gentle and minimal throttle moves in higher gears at lower rpm's then your mileage should be OK. Where the problem occurs is when people grab a "handful" of throttle at low speed in higher gears to get better acceleration. There is not enough low end torque in these motors to handle that so a lot of gas gets dumped into the cylinders and gets sent unburned out the exhaust. That manoeuvre works well with a big twin with lots of low end torque, but the Venture motors get their torque at higher rpm and will accelerate better if the motor is at higher revs (Not necessarily near red line) when given a lot of throttle. It depends on your driving habits.

It sounds like you need a knowledgeable carburettor person to have a look at your bike.

Unfortunately, that is likely to be expensive. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with your area so I can't suggest any good shops to use. The closest one to you that I can think of is still only in Burlington. They have a good reputation, but I've never used them myself. Perhaps someone else can come up with a suggestion.

Andy

Thanks

I didn't read all the posts, but one thing came to mind and I will just throw it out there. Is there a possible exhaust leak in the header pipes before the mufflers, perhaps around the y?

Don't think so...Last shop I went to said there was a leak around the area where the slip-on's attach to the exhaust. I wrapped it up with some muffler tape then put the slip-ons back on...seems to work...for that issue.

OK, good to know, thanks...my bike is an 2003...so, the stock pipes should till be ok? Anyone had to replace them before?

My mufflers had close to 100,000 on them when I changed them out for some newer stock ones. I changed them out because I had drug holes in the bottom of them from scraping around turns.

My mufflers had close to 100,000 on them when I changed them out for some newer stock ones. I changed them out because I had drug holes in the bottom of them from scraping around turns.

Good to know...thanks....that is 100,000 Miles, right?