IGNORED

RSTD 1300 vs OTHER bikes...

lshafer

Here's a question to everyone I've been trying to reason out in my head for quite some time... When you compare the RSTD or RSV 1300's to other types of bikes with v-twins that are said to have 1300 or higher cc's, what are we really comparing. I understand what 1300 means, just like I understand what 1700 means - but when you include the fact that the RSTD's and RSV's are 4 cylinder engines, what difference does that make? Should I feel uncomfortable talking about the power of my bike with a buddy who has a 1700cc or with another friend that has a 96ci? Are we talking about tourqe or horsepower or both or what?

I would really like to have some ammunition in my back pocket so I can fire back at them when they say my bike is ONLY 1300cc's. My RSTD has their bikes beat on comfort but what about performance. What are everyones thoughts? I hope my question makes sense.

Yes, you are comparing both torque and HP, but those number by themselves do not tell much of a story. Our V4 engine develops a very respectable 97 HP (at the crank, not the rear wheel - but virtually all vehicle numbers these days are measured at the crank). The big difference in engine performance and how they feel is how the power bands are shaped.

V-twin engines drive very much like large-block V8 engines (hard to find these days in cars or trucks, but in the 70's that would be a 454 Chevy or 360/390/460 Ford) - they have most of their power at lower RPM - we often talk about this type of power as "grunt". But they also tend to NOT be very smooth (speaking of the V-Twins here).

Our engine drives like a small block V8 (similar to a 350 Chevy or 308/351 Ford, or just about any V6), with the majority of the power above 3,000 RPM. So this engine does not feel like it has a lot of "grunt", but if you ride it right, it will do everything you could ever want, including blowing off just about all V-twins of any size. And it does all this while being very smooth.

A small block engine tends to rev faster, so it has the edge in performance driving, but a large-block engine is absolutely better for pulling stumps or towing. But remember, EVERYTHING here is just a generalization needed for a short reply - anybody can find exceptions to these statements. And just for further muddling the issue, the design feature that affects the performance as I described above is NOT the number of cylinders, or even the V shape - it is the difference between a long-stroke vs. a short-stroke engine (also known as under-square and over-square).

That's the best I can do without typing many pages.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

my stock '87 Venture posted 93 + at the rear wheel @63,000 miles on it...before the ethanol crap was added. Fact is the 1st gen. 1300 was rated rear wheel on the cert. of origin...98hp RWHP. At that time, saying 110hp crank sends up red flags to insurance companies. Even on a touring bike. Now w/ethanol...mine hits just below 90hp. I can get it to close to 100hp. with careful jetting and carb work.. But I am not driving at full throttle all day. Fact is...4 valve 4 cylinders have a far wider power band than any big V-twin. AKA- flexible. I can ride in 5th gear anywhere it's flat about 38mph....and it goes when asked. And any hill at 45mph and hit the gas.And it goes smoothly.The term fleible is really what's so good about this basic engine design, Venture, Vmax, RSV etc. So comparison mean nothing till you ride 2 bikes back to back. The you learn to appreciate what WE have.

In terms of airplanes if it helps. The engines for large propeller engines have longs piston rods( Long stroke) this causes tons of low end tourque to swing those huge proppellers. Duscted fan reciprocating engines. ( lik jets but also with pistons) have short strokes and creat less tourque but high revving power.

My buddy's harley has awesome lowend tourque , better than my RSTC. But as hes peaked and going for the next gear I am still in first. he foes for 3rd I hit the rev limiter and slam into 2nd. Im not slamming the harley. Its just different technology like the comparison of a 12 cyl mercedes engine to a 10 cyl dodge. The dodge is agrunty beast in contrast.

I wanted my bike because I researched so much. i didnt want another bike that i wanted to change for the next big thing. So far I have not looked back on my purchase. tell those guys to to shut up or put up and let teh bike defend itself.

You have opened a good point that us 1300 cc riders hear from time to time ("but that big bike just has 1300 cc!). Just reply that yes it is 1300 but be advised it is a 4 cyl. that is carrying 97 hp. As has been stated, comparing a 4cyl 1300 to a bigger cc v twin is not a compatible comparison. Your 1300 is nothing to be ashamed of and is very capable of eating many larger v twin cc's lunch.

Here's a question to everyone I've been trying to reason out in my head for quite some time... When you compare the RSTD or RSV 1300's to other types of bikes with v-twins that are said to have 1300 or higher cc's, what are we really comparing. I understand what 1300 means, just like I understand what 1700 means - but when you include the fact that the RSTD's and RSV's are 4 cylinder engines, what difference does that make? Should I feel uncomfortable talking about the power of my bike with a buddy who has a 1700cc or with another friend that has a 96ci? Are we talking about tourqe or horsepower or both or what?

I would really like to have some ammunition in my back pocket so I can fire back at them when they say my bike is ONLY 1300cc's. My RSTD has their bikes beat on comfort but what about performance. What are everyones thoughts? I hope my question makes sense.

Inside info from my mechanic from my dealer said these bike's are rated over 100 hp but can't advertise it due to insurance reason's. If they put it into their advertising insurance would be alot higher for all of us. This is what I have been told just FYI. :confused24::confused24:

Joe

I just tell em it's a bored out Vmax motor. That gives them something to think about. Put on a dyna3000 so you can rev it then if you need more a vmax rear end and you won't have any trouble showing most any VTwin your tail lights.

Thank to everyone for chiming in with thoughts. I was on a 500+ mile ride this weekend with my father-in-law who has a triked GW and a buddy who has a Suzuki Boulavard and had guys coming up to me asking about my RSTD. That's good feeling. It's a sharp bike when placed up against most other brands.

Our engine drives like a small block V8 (similar to a 350 Chevy or 308/351 Ford, or just about any V6), with the majority of the power above 3,000 RPM.

And with the aftermarket exhaust can sound like one too. I have been side by side some dodge pick up trucks around town and the difference is minimal. :-)

Don't forget about weight differences too. Just my opinion, considering all things the same a 600 lb 1300cc scoot will outrun a 900 lb 1300cc scoot.

Buy a tach and race 'em!

• 2 weeks later...
It's a sharp bike when placed up against most other brands.

Its a tough bike to beat on looks. I particularly like the symmetry of the V4 design and the fact the bike looks great from either side. Most V twin bikes look great on the right side but the left side always looks like something is missing or left off.

So if your getting grief from your V twin buddies about displacement you can always ask them So-What happened to the pipes on the left side of your bike??

Just be confident in the fact that if your inclined to, you can still be riding that bike with the original engine with 100K+ on the odmeter.

In the end after all the talk, its the riding that matters.

RSTDdog

• 1 month later...

Just bought my first Royal Star Venture and got into a long discussion with a tried and true Harley buff about why I would be getting another so called jap bike.Especially when my given first name is Harley! So I told him about really thinking it over hard and came up with the fact I didn't have 18,000.00 laying around to by a used Harley that may have to have the upper end rebuilt after 30,000 miles and Harley's not being water cooled and running hot etc. So he finally gave up.I got my 2001 Venture aand absolutely Love it and I thought my old bike was comfortable (1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1200).Went on a poker run this weekend and shown my taillights to a few Ultra Classics too.:301:

We used to own a V twin Honda Shadow ACE 1100 and it would easily lug if the gear was too high and you hit a good hill. This bike, our RSV, barely ever lugs no matter what gear you're in and, even though it's "only 200" more, it sure has a LOT more power than our Shadow did!!

The difference is quite remarkable. For a bike with "only 1300", it sure has lots of power!!!!! We love it.

V4 (Four) Cylinder Motorcycle Engines:

Description: An advancement on the V-Twin design to remove the inherent disadvantages such as vibration, top speed and horsepower. Today, you can find the V-Four engine in power cruisers, muscle bikes and touring bikes (like the Vmax, Magna, Venture) where large capacity (750cc+). The V-Four is a newly developed (early 1980's) engine and offered advantages of its own such as smoother ride, more torque and horsepower, and less complexity and width than the In-Line 4/6 and boxer engines.