IGNORED

Oops...Rear Shock

Yes...I knew better. I have a PROGRESSIVE pump for the front, but I don't have a bicycle pump. So I thought I would just TAP the the air hose on the REAR SHOCK.

It went up to 60 lbs...now I am worried about the seals. It did not pop...and it holds the air now (or at least appears to hold air so far)...but is it possible I could have pumped it up that high without blowing the seals?

Yeah...I know STUPID. But with our trip starting tomorrow, I kinda want to know what to expect...

In fact, what if it is blown...can I still ride until I get back from the trip?

60 lbs is so close to the actual maximum of 57 that I am sure it is just fine - in fact, if you set it at 57 and then compress the shock, the pressure will go way above 60.

If you are going to use your air compressor on the rear shock, use the regulator on the compressor to first turn down the hose pressure to what you want in the shock.

Goose

Thanks Goose...so I guess the only symptom would be oil under the bike...maybe some bad handling. The bike can still be rode with a blown shock right? (I am pretty sure I did not blow it...but since I am leaving at 4am in the morning...I want all my bases covered).

Thanks,

Wally

Thanks Goose...so I guess the only symptom would be oil under the bike...maybe some bad handling. The bike can still be rode with a blown shock right? (I am pretty sure I did not blow it...but since I am leaving at 4am in the morning...I want all my bases covered).

Thanks,

Wally

Rear shocks that leak oil generally still hold air just fine (so the oil and air parts are separate in the shock). If you loose the oil but still hold air pressure, you can ride the bike, but not safely - the rear will bounce like a pogo stick. If you loose air pressure but still have oil, you can safely ride it if your total weight is low enough to keep from bottoming out the shock constantly.

Goose

Thanks Goose...I hope to ride worry free for the next 9 days.

We're heading for Custer, SD (yep...gonna be hot tomorrow)...Wished I could make it to Cody, but we already had this planned for a year. Maybe I'll see some of the Venture Riders in the Badlands.

Thanks again Goose for the help.

Wally

Yah! If the shock is holding at 60 lbs then You probably did not blow the bladder. As mentioned the air and hydraulic chamber are separate. If you would have blown the bladder ity would now read zero psi and the bike would kind of waddle with very little shock action...

Cause it takes FOREVER for the progressive pump to pump that SUCKA up. Sometimes being a hurry is a BAD, BAD thing. I think I was LUCKY this time.
I don't know which specific Progressive pump you have, but my 0-60 pump does the rear shock in much less than a minute.

Goose

I don't know which specific Progressive pump you have, but my 0-60 pump does the rear shock in much less than a minute.

Goose

I agree. Unless the shock has zero air in it, it doesn't take very long to add a few pounds with the progressive pump I have.

Even with the rear shock at 0 lbs, it doesn't take any time at all - last time I washed my bike I let all the air out of the shock to I could turn the rear tire while on the maintenance stand for a good inspection (with the leveling links and air in the shock, it is too firmly stuck to the pavement). When I got all done it didn't take any time at all to put the shock back at 40 lbs.

Goose