IGNORED

Blown front tire

Sandbagger

One reply had mentioned that I heard something funny from the truck tire ahead of me. What I meant to communicate was that I heard something funny that I attributed to the truck in front of me, but it was actually the sound of my tire.

I feel extremely fortunate that I didn't go down with the violent shaking. I was only 1 up. Unfortunately I think the story would have been different with 2 up and higher center of gravity. It appears that majority of people here feel that the mfg tire company and not the bike mfg rules the tire pressure. I believe that I will be running several pounds under the max tire pressure. I should have done a post mortem on the tire. They said the valve was broken and that is all they found. I think that easily could have been caused be riding on the deflated tire so violently. One major learning for me was that if I bought a bike from someone that I would make sure that I knew how old the tires were and not just how much thread was left. I wonder if I was riding on an old tire. I have been obsessed with monitoring my tread and tire pressure, but completely disregarded the age of the tire. Hopefully my mistakes will keep someone else from making them. Ride safe.

There was another member a couple of years ago that the front tire went out. It was the valve stem gave out some how. It was not the tire.

I have been running 40psi front and 45 psi rear in my Avons. I think I will drop the pressure a couple pounds before heading to Cody.

I had an experience with one bike where it went into tank slapping mode at about 100 mph. I got out of it by leaning forward and bracing my elbows against my ribs and keeping my arms rigid, pushing hard against both handlebars. It worked.

This is a very interesting read. Many different opinions and I believe all are valid. George (Sleeperhawk) mentioned a valve blew out on the front tire from a past post. That brings a my question. How many of us change out the valve with each tire change?

Also I ran into an old man (yep, older than me!) at the shop where I change my tires. He told me that the way he has always checked his tire pressure is to fill to bike specs at cold, run it to get hot and the pressure should not increase over 4lbs. He told me that a tire should never change from cold pressure to hot pressure more than 4lbs. Now this will change as the ambient temperature changes.

I don't know what is right or wrong but I always have been running mfg max pressures.

MIKE aka Uturn

:Venture:

I had my rear tire quickly deflate on my while on the highway once - I was in the passing lane this time. At first I felt a little bit of a wag on the rear end, but it quickly got much worse. Scared the living hell out of me. I found an almost 1/4" hole in my rear..

I really want to invest in a tire pressure monitoring system as it would most likely would give an early warning if something is wrong, potentially save my life. It also would allow me always know what the tire pressure is whenever I'm riding, which I honestly check it less than I should.

Here are two systems. Still pretty expensive, but I think I value my life enough to get one..

https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=6

http://www.doranmfgstore.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=%23360M&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=b42f0f3a-382d-40c0-8dbe-85d5bdd464dc