IGNORED

Extra gas..

plainmd

BP, Exxon, Citgo, Texaco, just to name a few storeage facilities.

Like I said, sorry but I couldn't help myself on this one.

On a serious note I do know they make specific add on tanks for bikes but have never looked them up. Did you run a search engine on them yet?

All the best with the search.

Norm

It depends on the type of trip.

If you are carrying a passenger, and not particularly pressed for time then there aren't many places where gas is hard to get, so just fill up regularly.

If you want peace of mind then carrying a gallon in a can is common. You can also carry an emergency supply in aluminum fuel bottles.

If you seriously want to increase range, then you will need an auxiliary gas tank. Five gallon size is most common, and they fit in one of several places. Easiest place is on, or instead of, the passenger seat. Tail dragger tanks can be used, but they require a second fuel pump.

Fitting these tanks is fairly straightforward in most cases, but carrying a gallon in your pannier is easiest.

I just carry a 20oz MSR Fuel Bottle in each saddlebag. They don't take up much space in the bag. I push the envelope a little, but, not so much that there's danger of running out. I average about 5.25 gallons per fill-up. I figure if I did happen to run out, that would give me about 15 miles to find a station. :2cents:

Would a gas tank on the lid or in your trailer and a fuel line with a quick disconnect going to a threeway valve into your fuel line work? Would you need to have a booster pump in the trailer. If it would work you could go 350 miles or more before you needed to stop. :confused24:

I use this:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Reda-Portable-Motorcycle-Gas-Can/dp/B003WHBVDI]Amazon.com: Reda Portable Motorcycle Gas Can - 1 Gallon: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31HU2nSYzIL.@@AMEPARAM@@31HU2nSYzIL[/ame]

With the extra gas cans in the saddlebags is there any chance they may rupture if it gets really hot, it's been over a hundred all week down here and I had a soda bottle swell to the size of a football in my saddle bag and just curious if the gas cans would do the same thing and if the fumes would hurt the plastic?:confused24:

With the extra gas cans in the saddlebags is there any chance they may rupture if it gets really hot, it's been over a hundred all week down here and I had a soda bottle swell to the size of a football in my saddle bag and just curious if the gas cans would do the same thing and if the fumes would hurt the plastic?:confused24:

No, no chance.

Those MSR bottles are rated for fuel.

Even my plastic gas cans, left in the sun in 108F temps do not release so much as fumes. (I don't, by the way, recommend this!)

Another thought. When carrying extra fuel around there is the possibility of not using it for a long period of time. Perhaps a dash of Sea Foam will keep the fuel from seperating.... REI carries an aluminum gas container, and since I'm not real sure what kind of milage I'll be getting, I'm gonna pay them a visit before leaving for Cody.

:cody

Another thought. When carrying extra fuel around there is the possibility of not using it for a long period of time. Perhaps a dash of Sea Foam will keep the fuel from separating....

That's exactly what I do. I also will use it up every so often & then fill with fresh gas & a little Sea Foam again just to make sure it's good.

On my last trip I put a 2 1/2 gallon gas can in the "Cooler" storage bay of my time out trailer. I hooked a rubber hose to the gas can vent nipple and drilled a hole in the back of the cooler storage area to allow for expansion from heat. It never leaked , siphoned out or expanded the can. Worked PERFECTLY!!!

BP, Exxon, Citgo, Texaco, just to name a few storeage facilities.

Like I said, sorry but I couldn't help myself on this one.

On a serious note I do know they make specific add on tanks for bikes but have never looked them up. Did you run a search engine on them yet?

All the best with the search.

Norm

Back to this second reply, I did carry an extra gallon on a trip to Vegas on my shovelhead back in 1999.

I had heard about a stretch of interstate in Utah with 110 miles to the next fuel stop. I made it, two up pulling a trailer and never needed the extra fuel.

I've been in damn near ever other state in this country since, and have never seen or needed to run that far without seeing a gas station.

Just my :2cents: , Scooter Bob