IGNORED

About trucks, not motorcycles.

SilvrT

Guys...need some input here if ya'll don't mind.

I'm lokking at buying a 1992 Ford F-150 XLT extended cab fully loaded and not a 4x4. 5.8L engine, auto trans with trailer towing pkg. color matching canopy. Extremely good condition (from what I can tell) and has 180000 Kms (just over 100000 miles) It's got the captains chairs, air cond. cruise, tilt, pw & pl ... near new tires, new battery (I helped the guy install that today). I'm gonna test drive it tomorrow.

What I need to know is what kind of problems these ford trucks are prone to. What should I be checking for? I've only had 2 ford trucks in my life, the first was a new '76 which I only kept for 6 months and the other was a '78 that I bought in '85 and I only kept that for 2 months...(traded it in on a new Mazda).

This Ford I'm looking at is on the second owner...he's had it for almost 3 years. The first owner used it mostly to tow a camper trailer to Arizona once a year and back. While there, it basically sat for 3 month's. The current owner also towed a trailer but they bought a bigger trailer so the went out and got a bigger truck.

He's asking $4000 OBO

here's a pic

Well they can have tranny problems (overdrive) they like gas alot. Weak power window motors, but there is a rebuild kit after market for them. Can also have trouble with the rear main seal leaking. We have a F-150 that's an 85 with about 180,000 on it. Good luck didn't look like any rust on it. Might want to put some seafoam in it too if it sat alot.

Margaret

didn't look like any rust on it. Might want to put some seafoam in it too if it sat alot.

FORDS don't rust... only Chevvy's :rotf: :witch_brew:

It's only been sitting for a couple month's since they bought their new truck and they've started it fairly regularly.

It's a Ford, so don't get me started.

Do you need a new battery too? :rotf:

some folks really dislike one make of vehicle or another generally because of some bad experiences. If you have good or bad input on this specific year/model, I would greatly appreciate it.

Guest KitCarson

Hi Trouble Maker: I have had a lot of trucks, vans, and some of them Fords. I have to have good equipment, and if I get up at 2 a.m. in the middle of the night to run an emergency call, the vehicle has to start, so I have a Chevy as my work horse.

The main problem I have with them, especially with ones that may have different drivers is that overdrive transmission. On some of them I could not keep it fixed and it is like $1400 to $1800 bucks to pull it out and fix it. On several I had the mechanic just eliminate it, no more overdrive.

As a personal vehicle, correctly operated and maintained......they are a good vehicle. One of my friends still has one of the old Ford Bronco's and it has 265,000 miles on it. Motor still runs fine, has had two transmission jobs, one radiator, had to rebuild the A/C several times, all the door handles and stuff have fell off ten times..........but it is still going. Kit

I have had a lot of trucks, vans, and some of them Fords. I have to have good equipment, and if I get up at 2 a.m. in the middle of the night to run an emergency call, the vehicle has to start, so I have a Chevy as my work horse.

I've had so many vehicles in my life, it would be difficult to count. As for trucks, not so many. Let's see... '76 Ford F100, '78 Ford F100, '86 Mazda B2000, '89 Toyota SR5, '86 Dodge D150, '94 Dodge Dakota 4x4. My problem with vehicles is I'd never keep them long enuf to notice any problem "trends". Since I pulled wrenches for a number of years in my youth and had a flair for bodywork, most things that went wrong, I fixed myself. Never had serious engine problems on any vehicle and only once had a tranny go out and that was on my Dakota. Well, I had it for 5 years...that was the longest I owned any vehcle...and I loved that truck. Next to that, my '86 Dodge I had as a "second" vehicle...kept it for 3 years... never failed me.

Hey, Rick, it sounds like the truck might be OK. Surely it doesn't have any excess mileage on it - and possibly most of those miles were freeway miles. Window motors (though costly) are things I might "consider" regular maintenace - I would probably want to know or have checked out the transmission. I have owned in the past several Ford trucks/vans, drove them primarily for work/heavy commute traffic, never had any real problems with them and always got about 150,000 miles out of them. It is a nice looking truck, though. :080402gudl_prv:

The only real problem I can see is the reality that gas will be $4.00 a gallon before we know it!! If you can live with that reality then more power to you...

Well, let's see... @ $1.10 /Litre, that works out to around $4.99 /gal now. Yes, gas is expensive and since we're going from a fairly new 4cyl car to a truck, we'll really notice the difference; however, needs have changed so gotta take the cons in stride. One plus to that and that is we don't put may miles on a vehicle. The car has just over 31,000 Kms and it's 4 years old. Our goal is to get a good truck that will be more useful than a small car and have no monthly payment. We want to get rid of as much "debt" as we can so that we can get a new motorcycle soon. We'd much rather be making payments on that than a new or fairly new car or truck. The car is leased and the lease ends next month. We're buying out the lease with the plan to sell the car and make a few bucks. Take that plus some reserve cash and buy an older truck.

Well, I ain't sold on that Ford yet... still gotta take it for a drive and do some of my own checking out of things. I have a list going...gonna take my mechanic's stethescope along with me... ya can diagnose a lot with one of those things.

Greetings, I own a 95 model ext cab XLT. IT has the 5.o in it. It has 101,000 miles I have been to Memphis pulling my sons Cavalier also I have been to Denver Colo several times I live in N.M. outside of regular wear items brakes, filters, etc. I have not had any trouble with it. I do change oil every 3000 mls. It still has original startor and alt. I hope this helps.Good luck. bossman:080402gudl_prv:

What I need to know is what kind of problems these ford trucks are prone to. What should I be checking for?

I've put 365,000 miles on an '87 F250 Diesel, and my current '92 F250D is right at 240,000, so I'm pretty familiar with Ford trucks. The only problem they seem to have is auto trannys going every 100,000 before 1996 when they redesigned the thing. Other than that they are pretty bullet proof. I wanted an auto in the '87, but the guys down at the Ford dealer said the best thing that could have happened is me finding a used one with a 4 speed manual. I had a buddy that had an identical '87, but with an auto the same time that I owned mine, and every 100 thousand he had to rebuild the tranny.

Most trucks do...are these any worse than other similar trucks?

I worked for a company a few years back that had a similar vintage F150 (which was less than a year old at the time) with the 5.8 engine. Major piece of s***! No power and it averaged about four and a half miles per gallon. We ran it for the summer and by fall the tranny was ready to pack it in. The truck had less than 100,000 km at the time. I also found my then 10 year old Chevy pickup was a much more comfortable truck to drive. My recommendation is if you want a Ford spend the extra $$$$ to get the 7.3 diesel or buy a Dodge or GM.

Just my :2cents:.

I have had a 78,85,88,98,2002 ford trucks, among may gm products. I have only replaced 1 transmission (88 a standard truck) and that was due to a lack of fluid in it(I no longer go to quick lubes anymore). I did work for a ford dealer in service for a bit when I got out of high school and yes the transmissions did have a issue with them like some have said. The exshuast manifolds were also known for cracking and making a ticking noise. My dad and father in law have also had may ford trucks and none have installed new transmissions. My father inlaws current truck is a 1994 f150 with just over 98,000km and no tranny yet. Here is just a little piece of information for you, we have a friend that had a 92 chevy truck and guess what it had a new tranny when he got it, he put 2 new transmissions in it and the guy that bought it off of him put 1 in that I know of, so it doesn't matter what you get you might have issues with it. Ford trucks were known for liking fuel but any chevy company truck I had sure like there fuel also so I think it is more of a truck thing. When we went camping with anyone with a chev they always filled up when we did and for about the same. Diesel trucks might be the way to go however just remember when something goes wrong with a diesel they are expensive to fix and stay away from the ford 6.0L powerstroke they are know for injector problems. I don't know about where you live but diesel here is also 5 cents per liter higher than gas. I have had ford(6.0L powerstroke), chev(gas),gmc(gas with a new transmission),and dodge(cummins) trucks and when I get my new company truck I am going to try the new ford 6.4L powerstroke.

Thanks again for all the feedback guys. I took the truck for a drive and although she looks nice, the thing is a piece of crap mechanically. It's very "loose" suspension/steering wise... has a lot of shakes and rattles...vibrations, clunks, moans and groans LOL... and the alternator is shot more or less... I suspected this just from talking to the guy when I first looked at it yesterday. However, I'm not ruling out Fords just from that.

buy it.. you cant go wrong.. ive had 35+ ford trucks.. granted they are hard on gas. with that you could expect 16- to 18 mpg. i have a 95 4x4 extended cab with the 5.8 i can get 16+ on a trip..on the other hand i have a 90 extended cab with a 302 and get 12- 14 mpg max.. and i have yet to have tranny problems with them. and always drive in o.d. even snoplowing..just dont lug the tranny..:smile11:

I just want you to all know i have read the post by Don and Brad earlier on about trying to be nice and not say bad things then you all go and put a bait pile like this out well I'm not falling for it because if i get started on the bad points of fords it will most likely use up all the bandwidth we have so I'm just going to be good and i should get a free meal for what I'm not saying:whistling:ok at least an icecream :thumbsup2:

its not easy being good

Dray

I have a 99 with a 5.8. Over 130,000 miles. Hard on coil packs. Four so far. Same one everytime. also leaking oil from the rear right head. Nothing major, but enough to curse about when I look at the garage floor. They require lifting the body off the frame to fix it. Expensive! I'll make sure I keep checking the oil instead. Good truck overall. MN winters, lots of cold. Lots of road salt. No rust!!!!! Has never not started. Not plugged in, overnight in a motel parking lot and -40F and started on the first try. (Baudette, MN when my son played Pee Wee Hockey).

I also have a Chev. with a plow for almost 170,000 miles. (a '93 and its plowed snow every winter). Comparativly, I am not sure the Ford would have withstood what I've put the chev through pushing snow. Not sure if you can tax an engine and drivetrain harder than 10-12 hours of pushing heavy wet snow (right grandpagak!!).

May I make a suggestion? Google the truck and year. You'll get all kinds of responses. but understand, most (all) will be complaining, not touting its greatness.

Good luck!!

Erns

Like many of you, I have owned a LOT of trucks in my life. My all time favorites were a '66 Chevy and a '72 Chevy Super Cheyenne. I hope to buy another of those one of these days. I've also owned Ford, Dodge, Mitsubishi, International. I have to admit that between Ford and Chevy, I am more of a Chevy man. The best Ford I ever owned was actually a '69 short wheel base two wheel drive with a 302 and three speed manual on the column.

Here is the '72 Chevy that I wish I had never sold and the '69 Ford that was a darn good truck.

Oh..and yes...I've owned newer trucks of course. Had a 2003 Chevy S10 ZR2 that was pretty nice and a couple of full sized Chevies also. Last Ford I had was an '88 or something Ford F150 that I took as a trade in on a Chevy that I was selling. That particular Ford was junk. Tranny shifting VERY hard, bed rusted out above rear tires, one rear leaf spring broken. I guess it had really been abused.